What's new

Gone in 30 Seconds: Prototype Killer Laser Takes Out Boats a Mile Away

boomslang

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gone in 30 Seconds: Prototype Killer Laser Takes Out Boats a Mile Away

A new laser weapon being developed by Lockheed Martin successfully disabled two boats a mile away in a recent test off the California coast, the company said.

Lockheed Martin is developing the ground-based high-energy laser weapon, known as the Area Defense Anti-Munitions (ADAM) system, as a potential military defense against short-range threats, including drones, small boats and homemade artillery rockets.

The defense contractor on Wednesday posted a video online showing the first tests of the laser weapon against targets at sea. In less than 30 seconds, the company said, the system’s high-energy laser zeroed in on and burned through multiple compartments of the rubber hull of the military-grade small boats operating in the Pacific.

“Our ADAM system tests have shown that high-energy lasers are ready to begin addressing critical defense needs,” Tory Bruno, president of Lockheed’s strategic and missile defense systems, said in a statement.

Lockheed Martin has previously demonstrated the prototype laser system’s ability to destroy free-flying Qassam-like rocket targets.

— NBC News staff
First published May 7th 2014, 6:27 pm

Perhaps Lockheed Martin should ask the Vietnamese if they would like to give the system a "field test" somewhere in the Vietnamese EEZ. Looks like the system could provide a somewhat "stealthy", i.e, deniable, attack. It might covertly disable a drilling platform, who knows?

Perhaps Lockheed Martin should ask the Vietnamese if they would like to give the system a "field test" somewhere in the Vietnamese EEZ. Looks like the system could provide a somewhat "stealthy", i.e, deniable, attack. It might covertly disable a drilling platform, who knows?

As if those operating the drilling platforms won't be supported by naval assets that will point out the perpetrator and take it out.

As if those operating the drilling platforms won't be supported by naval assets that will point out the perpetrator and take it out.

Take the ships out first.........then the platform is a sitting (Peking) duck.:china:

I always like acronym convention of American defense projects/products. It's an art for coining such smart acronyms

S.H.I.E.L.D.- Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division

I'm not impressed. Military grade rubber boats have a poor reputation for toughness and durability. When the weapon can take out a fiberglass hull, then I'll be impressed.

Back
Top Bottom