What's new

Germany warns against blanket suspicion of Muslims

Aeon

Reaction score
Germany warns against blanket suspicion of Muslims
Published: November 23, 2010

BERLIN (AFP) - Germany’s interior minister, Thomas de Maiziere, warned Monday against blanket suspicion of Muslims in the wake of fresh terror warnings in the country.

Speaking at the annual congress of the GdP police union, the minister said the government would not stand by idly if the fear of an attack were used to whip up hatred of Muslims living in Germany.

“We must not abuse the current debate to create general suspicion against law-abiding Muslims,” De Maiziere said.

He said “terrorists” aimed to spread “fear and horror” and warned against allowing the threat of an attack to spark “hysteria.”

“We won’t do them that favour,” he said.

He also launched a broadside against “self-appointed terrorism experts” speculating about the threat, saying he wished they would “keep their views to themselves.”

Last week German authorities beefed up security at crowded places such as airports and train stations after De Maiziere said that Berlin had received a tip-off from a “foreign partner” about an attack planned this month.

The cupola on Germany’s Reichstag parliament building was closed until further notice to visitors Monday after media reports said the popular tourist site was a potential target for Islamist extremists.

No reason was given for the move and pre-arranged group visits were still allowed.

A debate about Islam in German society has raged for months after a central banker argued in what has become a best-selling book that Muslim immigrants were endangering the German way of life by refusing to integrate.

Chancellor Angela Merkel has declared multiculturalism in Germany to be a failure and called on Germans and newcomers alike to do more to foster integration.

And someone said that Germany was "Islamophobic". Hope these people can come in here and see the false allegations they make against law-abiding countries like Germany.

I visited Germany in Jan 2012 and found the country and its people to be very friendly and cooperative, never i found or felt myself as being a "target" for being asian or muslim, the staff at airport was polite and cooperative and i even enjoyed a smoke and good laugh with two of airport security personal discussing Pakistan and its culture.

This debate stemmed from the controversy some years ago when a prominent ex-banker wrote a book how detrimental non-Western immigrants are for German society. That Muslims were dumbing down Germany and being an economic burden, and some were not good except for opening shops and selling shoarmas, kebabs and vegetables. Also his mentioning of genetics in relation with how smart the Jews are was not taken lightly.

Needless to say, he was vilified in the media and the politics. Hence this remark.

This debate stemmed from the controversy some years ago when a prominent ex-banker wrote a book how detrimental non-Western immigrants are for German society. That Muslims were dumbing down Germany and being an economic burder, and some were not good except for opening shops and selling shoarmas, kebabs and vegetables. Also his mentioning of genetics in relation with how smart the Jews are was not taken lightly.

Needless to say, he was vilified in the media and the politics. Hence this remark.

Wish there were more people like you and the person in the news in all NATO countries :)

Wish there were more people like you and the person in the news in all NATO countries :)

There are. Even though I myself am critical of some immigrants and their behaviour, it does not mean I lose the sight of the fact that there are many other immigrants who pay their taxes, and want to have a good life for themselves and their children. Sweeping generalisations are not my thing, and many Westerners see the immigration issue as I do. As long as people contribute to society, many Europeans have no problem with people being Muslim or foreign.

There are. Even though I myself are critical of some immigrants and their behaviour, it does not mean I lose the sight that are many other immigrants who pay their taxes, and want to have a good life for themselves and their children. Sweeping generalisations are not my thing, and many Westerners see the immigration issue as I do. As long as people contribute to society, many Europeans have no problem with people being Muslim or foreign.

No, the thing is; many western people, even the peaceful liberal ones, say that it's the muslims' fault for not speaking out against the extremists, now you're in our shoes and realize what that means. Even if you're a white christian, would you feel safe in front of gun-totting skinheads/rednecks/local variants to stop being evil? Similarly the silent majority of muslims can't and have no choice but to suffer for the actions of a few, because you wont risk your and you family's lives

Cloak i was in Munich and i loved the place, i visited BMW Welt, BMW Factory, Olympia Park and among other things this very famous pub with HB credentials i think it's name is Hofbräuhaus (don't worry i didn't drink). I must say you guys after WW2 came a long way and we all should learn a thing from you guys and Japan.

I visited Germany in Jan 2012 and found the country and its people to be very friendly and cooperative, never i found or felt myself as being a "target" for being asian or muslim, the staff at airport was polite and cooperative and i even enjoyed a smoke and good laugh with two of airport security personal discussing Pakistan and its culture.

You son of a gun :(

BATMAN my Dubai Munich flight was in Emirates A-380 ... on the way back i had two days vacations in Dubai which was cut short as i was blessed with daughter ... all company paid including the experiences i shared in the above post .... :P :P :P now i feel candidate for your statement :P :P

^^ If you mentioned that the Polizei, which shared laughs with you were two blondies, i may promote you to 'Top Gun'

You can't judge a country based on a single trip to that country.

I am sharing my experience, everyone have their own perception based on their experiences. I found Sheikh's in UAE to be much more disgraceful to other Muslims than any other "Gora" i have met.

Back
Top Bottom