What's new

France foreign minister likely to ask for early inking of MMRCA project during India visit

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: French foreign minister Laurent Fabius is likely to ask India for an early inking of the almost $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project when he comes visiting here later this month to break ice with the new Narendra Modi government.

The final commercial negotiations for the MMRCA project, under which IAF will induct 126 French Rafale fighters, have now finally reached a stage from where they can be wrapped up in the next three months, as was first reported by TOI earlier.

It was in January 2012 that India had selected French aviation major Dassault's Rafale jet over its rivals for the MMRCA project, under which the first 18 fighters will come in ``fly-away condition" while Hindustan Aeronautics will manufacture the rest 108. But the final negotiations were proceeding at a slow pace till they gained momentum earlier this year.

"We participated in a competition (MMRCA) and won it. Negotiations for such a complex project take time...they have seen significant progress, including the critical work-share agreement between Dassault and HAL. It's not for us to put a timeline...better to have a good contract rather than a speedy one," said French ambassador Francois Richier on Thursday.

Fabius, who ranks next to only President Francois Hollande in the French government, would discuss all relevant issues with his Indian interlocutors during his visit towards end-June. "Defence, counter-terrorism and cooperation space are among the key pillars of our bilateral strategic partnership. President Hollande has already invited PM Modi to visit France by the end of this year," said Richier.

The two countries are currently also holding their joint air combat exercise Garuda-V at the Jodhpur airbase, with French Rafales, Indian Sukhoi-30MKIs and other aircraft taking part in the 12-day combat maneuvers.

IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha and his French counterpart General Denis Mercier, incidentally, will take to the skies in sorties during the exercise on Monday. "The exercise is essentially aimed at improving interoperability, exchanging information and combat experiences," said Richier.

France foreign minister likely to ask for early inking of MMRCA project during India visit - The Times of India

good deal for india if it goes through but india should check well they had some problem in Libyan war the rafale i read it long time ago

but it is excellent from IAF

I agree with this Fabius guy. The deal started when I saw my wife first time eight years ago. Now we are expecting an addition to our family and the deal is not even inked. :lol:

I hope Modi ji just signs it already. It is not like IAF is running on surplus jets.

NEW DELHI: French foreign minister Laurent Fabius is likely to ask India for an early inking of the almost $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project when he comes visiting here later this month to break ice with the new Narendra Modi government.

The final commercial negotiations for the MMRCA project, under which IAF will induct 126 French Rafale fighters, have now finally reached a stage from where they can be wrapped up in the next three months, as was first reported by TOI earlier.

It was in January 2012 that India had selected French aviation major Dassault's Rafale jet over its rivals for the MMRCA project, under which the first 18 fighters will come in ``fly-away condition" while Hindustan Aeronautics will manufacture the rest 108. But the final negotiations were proceeding at a slow pace till they gained momentum earlier this year.

"We participated in a competition (MMRCA) and won it. Negotiations for such a complex project take time...they have seen significant progress, including the critical work-share agreement between Dassault and HAL. It's not for us to put a timeline...better to have a good contract rather than a speedy one," said French ambassador Francois Richier on Thursday.

Fabius, who ranks next to only President Francois Hollande in the French government, would discuss all relevant issues with his Indian interlocutors during his visit towards end-June. "Defence, counter-terrorism and cooperation space are among the key pillars of our bilateral strategic partnership. President Hollande has already invited PM Modi to visit France by the end of this year," said Richier.

The two countries are currently also holding their joint air combat exercise Garuda-V at the Jodhpur airbase, with French Rafales, Indian Sukhoi-30MKIs and other aircraft taking part in the 12-day combat maneuvers.

IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha and his French counterpart General Denis Mercier, incidentally, will take to the skies in sorties during the exercise on Monday. "The exercise is essentially aimed at improving interoperability, exchanging information and combat experiences," said Richier.

France foreign minister likely to ask for early inking of MMRCA project during India visit - The Times of India
I would be happy if this was true- VERY happy but for a number of reasons I find this highly unlikely.

1) Just the other day it was reported that the MoD had set about the "end game" for this deal but that it would take THREE months to get to that point so this timeline of a few weeks is at complete odds with what has been said up to now.
2) With all due respect to the French Foreign Minister- his requests/wishes don't mean squat. There is due process that needs to take place and if it is to take 3 months it will take 3 months and won't be sped up for this man's visit- that's not how the MoD/GoI has ever worked.
3) It is generally accepted that this is not how India works, it doesn't like to sign big defence deals with visiting ministers/heads of state.

Sadly, there was similar news before the French President Hollande's visit to India last year but he left empty handed on the defence front and with no Rafale deal wrapped up, so it's likely that this Minister will do the same.

I HOPE I AM WRONG. To have this deal wrapped up by the end of June would be amazing but I remain skeptical.

Back
Top Bottom