What's new

Film Maker Denied Entry into Kashmir by Indian Government

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Film Maker Denied Entry into Kashmir

Srinagar, Feb 09: The Indian government has asked an American film maker, Udi Aloni's not to try to visit Kashmir again. The dictum comes after Aloni showed a documentary about the non-violent Muslim resistance movement in Kashmir. The film was shown at the Berlin Film Festival.
"Indian authorities have taken umbrage at 'Kashmir: Journey to Freedom' and are refusing to allow me to return to India," Aloni, said after the film was premiered in Panorama section, which showcases independent and arthouse cinema.
"Please let me return to India. I really miss my friends from Kashmir, and I really love to be in India," he said while defending his documentary and insisting he had done India a good service in making it.
Aloni said he had gone to Kashmir without really knowing what he was going to see, and that his film was less a documentary and more an action movie of a different sort."
"I have always believed in non-violence," he said.
Kashmir, once described by Mahatma Gandhi as "a pillar of light in a subcontinent lost in darkness," had become "a land of terror and despair,its people suffering under the strain of constant violence and human rights violations," a press release about the film said.
According to reports, Aloni tells how a new generation of young Muslim Kashmiris, after years of armed resistance, decide to lay down their arms and start a nonviolent resistance movement - in the hope of finally achieving peace and independence.
Aloni's protagonists are shown as they launch their new struggle. Ultimately denied permission to return to India, he was forced to tell the rest of the story far from the land he had come to admire.
India, the world's biggest movie-making nation, has a notably low presence at this year's Berlinale, which runs till February 15. It doesn't have a single feature vying for the competition's top Golden Bear awards. (PBI)

Film Maker Denied Entry into Kashmir

the indians wouldnt want their dirty little secret to spill out in front of the world, now would they

Back
Top Bottom