What's new

Falling prey to oblivious tricks.

Last Hope

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Yes, its one of those times when we share a little story about something that recently happened with us.

About four months ago, my brother sent me a glide cam using the United States Postal Service which was supposed to be delivered to me within 2 weeks. Somehow, it got lost in transition and after around three months I got a call from our very own Pakistan Post Customs office asking me to come and collect my package.

I was overwhelmed with joy as I had been waiting for this package for a considerably long time and because of the sudden hope of finally getting my hands on this much needed camera accessory. I was in university at that time and I immediately excused myself from class and rushed straight to the customs office to collect my package.

The interesting part starts here. As soon as they found my package, they asked me to sit tight as they started 'calculating' the customs duty on my package. I quietly waited until the clerk handed me over a flimsy piece of paper with a total tax amount of 40,000 PKR (on a 50,000 PKR product). Since I was extremely surprised (and sort of frustrated) as to how the customs duty on my item could be nearly 80% of the original item's worth, I politely asked the clerk to A. Recheck that amount, and B. To show me the document which said exactly what the duty would amount to on this particular item. The clerk literally started screaming at me for minding my own business and to stop asking questions because "Bakhi sub ka dimagh kharab nai hai jo poochay baghair tax day jaatay hain".

At this, I completely lost my temper since I couldn't believe how, after a very annoying wait of 3 months, I had to go through this costumer service at the hands of Pakistan Post. I still kept calm since if I didn't, I could virtually say goodbye to my stuff. I picked up the reciept and told the clerk I'll check the taxes online and return the next day. At this he jumped forward, snatched the reciept and tore it into two pieces saying he couldn't give me a hand written reciept because "this wasn't standard protocol". At explaining that I wanted to run this by my father who wouldn't be too willing to dish out 40,000 rupees just like that he said "Oh Jee, Jiss ko daikhni hai idher aa ker daikh lay". To top it all off, right in the middle of this, a 40ish year old lady came into the office, took a huge carton and left without anyone checking its contents because they had 'already recieved a call from the headoffice'.

By now I had almost completely lost it but I was pretty adament. I stuck around and asked to see the higher management until the person in charge who kept addressing me as "tu","teray","tujhay" asked me to sit down and told me that there's a way he can bring the price down, as long as I didn't expect a tax reciept made.

Suddenly my eyes started shining with hope. I quickly took my phone out, pretending to make a phone call turned on the voice recorder and repeated what he said asking if that was what he meant. After getting an affirmative, I politely thanked everyone and told them I'll return the next day to collect my item.

I went home, I told my sister (who happens to be a lawyer) everything and she quickly checked the standard laws regarding bribes, as well as the protocols of government offices. I found out that these guys had broken nearly 4 of them and if found guilty, they could be liable to 50,000 PKR in fines and up to 2 years in prison. I returned the next day with the details and asked them to finalize my reciept while I, very politely, told the supervision about my little findings. It was the best feeling to see his face slowly turning white as I read out all the laws and the best part was where I told him about how I had recorded him offering me a bribe.

All of a sudden the world had changed, the same people were now offering me tea and calling me Sir and my tax payment was changed to the original 9,000 PKR that it was supposed to be. I paid my required amount and made sure they filed the tax receipt.

Just before leaving, I turned to the supervisor and said, "Aap ko laga tha bacha hai, baywaqoof bun jaye ga. Ye yaad rakhiye ga, Yahee bacha aapka system badlay ga."

We have the laws, we have the system. We just don't use it. Trust the system and you'll find yourself living in a much more civilized Pakistan.

Its all about educating our selves about laws. Our great leaders left very good system but we spoiled it by not using it in correct way and always trying take short cuts , favors and try to be above system.

If more people were aware of laws and regulations with a sense of social responsibility, then Pakistan could have been very different.
But there is still time to correct our mistakes and learn from the past.

Just before leaving, I turned to the supervisor and said, "Aap ko laga tha bacha hai, baywaqoof bun jaye ga. Ye yaad rakhiye ga, Yahee bacha aapka system badlay ga."

We have the laws, we have the system. We just don't use it. Trust the system and you'll find yourself living in a much more civilized Pakistan.

Kya dialogue hai :D

Well done... :up

Almost an exact same thing happened to us at Islamabad airport.

The customs guy stopped us and said to us to make a custom payment. We said how much, he said 20k...we were aghast. We asked for a receipt, none. He said no receipt is given...we said we aren't gonna pay then. He told us that we could keep on standing here till tomorrow then. We have a few relatives in customs though, talked to them and masla udhar hi solve...he gave us a receipt of 7000!

From 20,000 to 7000, he was taking 11k as bribe!

We then payed the 7000 and went our merry way.

The customs guy stopped us and said to us to make a custom payment. We said how much, he said 20k...we were aghast. We asked for a receipt, none. He said no receipt is given...we said we aren't gonna pay then. He told us that we could keep on standing here till tomorrow then. We have a few relatives in customs though, talked to them and masla udhar hi solve...he gave us a receipt of 7000!

So what happens to the poor soul who does not have any relatives in customs or other high places? What options does he/she have? None.

It helps if your able to get a few "Diplomatic" baggage Stickers. :angel:

Especially, if combined with a US passport. :rolleyes:

Say goodbye to lines, security, customs, checking, & long lines in the process.

Thəorətic Muslim;4109600 said:

And people say its the Pakistani Government that is corrupted. Oh the irony.

Thəorətic Muslim;4109600 said:

No Sir, after Raymond Davis, US passports are hated at airports and everywhere else in Pakistan.

Yes, its one of those times when we share a little story about something that recently happened with us.

About four months ago, my brother sent me a glide cam using the United States Postal Service which was supposed to be delivered to me within 2 weeks. Somehow, it got lost in transition and after around three months I got a call from our very own Pakistan Post Customs office asking me to come and collect my package.

I was overwhelmed with joy as I had been waiting for this package for a considerably long time and because of the sudden hope of finally getting my hands on this much needed camera accessory. I was in university at that time and I immediately excused myself from class and rushed straight to the customs office to collect my package.

The interesting part starts here. As soon as they found my package, they asked me to sit tight as they started 'calculating' the customs duty on my package. I quietly waited until the clerk handed me over a flimsy piece of paper with a total tax amount of 40,000 PKR (on a 50,000 PKR product). Since I was extremely surprised (and sort of frustrated) as to how the customs duty on my item could be nearly 80% of the original item's worth, I politely asked the clerk to A. Recheck that amount, and B. To show me the document which said exactly what the duty would amount to on this particular item. The clerk literally started screaming at me for minding my own business and to stop asking questions because "Bakhi sub ka dimagh kharab nai hai jo poochay baghair tax day jaatay hain".

At this, I completely lost my temper since I couldn't believe how, after a very annoying wait of 3 months, I had to go through this costumer service at the hands of Pakistan Post. I still kept calm since if I didn't, I could virtually say goodbye to my stuff. I picked up the reciept and told the clerk I'll check the taxes online and return the next day. At this he jumped forward, snatched the reciept and tore it into two pieces saying he couldn't give me a hand written reciept because "this wasn't standard protocol". At explaining that I wanted to run this by my father who wouldn't be too willing to dish out 40,000 rupees just like that he said "Oh Jee, Jiss ko daikhni hai idher aa ker daikh lay". To top it all off, right in the middle of this, a 40ish year old lady came into the office, took a huge carton and left without anyone checking its contents because they had 'already recieved a call from the headoffice'.

By now I had almost completely lost it but I was pretty adament. I stuck around and asked to see the higher management until the person in charge who kept addressing me as "tu","teray","tujhay" asked me to sit down and told me that there's a way he can bring the price down, as long as I didn't expect a tax reciept made.

Suddenly my eyes started shining with hope. I quickly took my phone out, pretending to make a phone call turned on the voice recorder and repeated what he said asking if that was what he meant. After getting an affirmative, I politely thanked everyone and told them I'll return the next day to collect my item.

I went home, I told my sister (who happens to be a lawyer) everything and she quickly checked the standard laws regarding bribes, as well as the protocols of government offices. I found out that these guys had broken nearly 4 of them and if found guilty, they could be liable to 50,000 PKR in fines and up to 2 years in prison. I returned the next day with the details and asked them to finalize my reciept while I, very politely, told the supervision about my little findings. It was the best feeling to see his face slowly turning white as I read out all the laws and the best part was where I told him about how I had recorded him offering me a bribe.

All of a sudden the world had changed, the same people were now offering me tea and calling me Sir and my tax payment was changed to the original 9,000 PKR that it was supposed to be. I paid my required amount and made sure they filed the tax receipt.

this is such a big problem in pakistan especially in karachi airport they are crooks there every single one of them. other airports are bad too but not as bad as karachi.

And people say its the Pakistani Government that is corrupted. Oh the irony.

Who said corruption is only in Pakistan. Dude, there is corruption in every country. The only difference is the type and how the country perceives the corruption.

No Sir, after Raymond Davis, US passports are hated at airports and everywhere else in Pakistan.

So the cowardliness and spinelessness of the Pakistani government is my problem? Is the problem of the US?

You GUYS voted for PPP. Why? Just because "Shaheeda" Benazir Bhutto? Is that my problem? or the Problem of the US?

YOU WANTED "DEMOCRACY", and in 2008 YOU GUYS HAD THE OPTION TO CHANGE PAKISTAN. BECAUSE YOU WASTED YOUR VOTE IS THAT MY PROBLEM? IS THAT THE PROBLEM OF US?

Mate, that is not a bribe, it is extortion.

Back
Top Bottom