Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Extortion demands: Old city areas turn into battlefield

569755-cheelchowklyariphotoexpressrashidajmeri-1372479758-547-640x480.jpg

Cheel Chowk in Lyari. PHOTO: RASHID AJMERI/FILE

By Faraz KhanPublished: June 29, 2013

KARACHI:
The old city areas of Kharadar, Lyari and Macchar Colony turned into a battlefield on Friday after a few men stormed Kharadar market in an attempt to scare shopkeepers into paying extortion ahead of Ramazan.

A woman and four men lost their lives while a dozen more people were injured in the resulting firing. On Friday, over 50 men riding two dozen or so motorcycles stormed a marketplace in Kharadar and opened fire. They killed 35-year-old Fatima Bibi, mother of two, a 38-year-old water supplier Fazal and 36-year-old Faisal, and wounded nine other men – Amjad, Faisal, Shahab, Saleem, Ali, Ahmed, Fareedullah, Imran and Obaid.

According to witnesses, the men intended to wrest control of the area but were forced to retreat when members of a political party opened fire at them. “We would have lost our area to those men if we had not retaliated,” said a resident, Imran Khan, hinting his support for the party.

Meanwhile, the traders and shopkeepers claimed that the gangsters wanted to scare them into paying extortion ahead of the holy month of Ramazan. “”They [gangsters] want to collect more and more extortion in Ramazan,” said a shopkeeper, on the condition of anonymity. “But we have decided that this time we will fight and not pay them.”

After the armed men retreated, the residents and shopkeepers of Kharadar gathered at Merewether Tower to protest. This blocked the traffic flow and caused a massive jam. The protesters shouted slogans against the incident and blamed the Lyari gangsters and the outlawed Peoples Amn Committee for the incident. “How many innocent people do they want to kill?” a man shouted. Following the protest, a large number of law enforcers reached the site and reopened the blocked thoroughfares.

According to the police, the same armed men who opened fire in Kharadar later went to Macchar Colony and killed two more people belonging to the Kutchi community. Saleem Hussain and Abdul Rehman were standing at their food stall when they were targeted. The suspects then opened fire at the Kutchi-dominated area and injured four other people.
More police and Rangers personnel were summoned for an operation in Lyari. They claimed to have killed an alleged gangster, Saqib alias Saqib Boxer, in the encounter. “He was one of the culprits involved in the firing at Kharadar,” SHO Idrees Bangash told The Express Tribune.
Kharadar police have registered an FIR No. 243/13 on the complaint of an injured victim, Faisal, against Lyari gangsters, Saqib Boxer, Wasi Lakho, Ayaz Baloch, Sunny, Sheraz Comrade, Umer Kutchi, Sarwar Baloch and their companions.
Reactions

Officials of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) condemned the attack. “On one side, our party workers are being detained illegally, tortured and killed while, on the other side, gangsters are openly operating without any fear,” said its deputy convenor Nasir Jamal.
Saqib Boxer, who died on Friday, was released from prison only a week ago on bail. His affiliation was claimed by the outlawed Peoples Amn Committee when it staged a protest on Mauripur after his killing. “The Rangers first picked Saqib up and asked him to escape but he insisted on being arrested, so they killed him,” PAC leader Zafar Baloch said. “A Balochistan-like situation is being created for the Baloch and the people of Lyari.”
Published in The Express Tribune, June 29th, 2013.

50 people riding two dozen motorcycles went unnoticed by police and Rangers?? After shooting up the place, they depart and shoot up another area - How did they get into the area and exit and get into another and exit - it's just amazing, mind boggling, like some Western movie complete with "bandits" and "raiders" -- but of course we should be spending on deterring the Indian - lets never forget the Indian

Macchar bazaar is Bahi town. Nothing surprising at all, Sindhi police key reaction time or intelligence gathering ko Salam. (Sarcasm).

Then we say why rangers don't do any things aganist NA MALOOM AFRAAD. WTF
6-29-2013_626_1.gif

http://jang.com.pk/jang/jun2013-daily/29-06-2013/u626.htm

Macchar bazaar is Bahi town. Nothing surprising at all, Sindhi police key reaction time or intelligence gathering ko Salam. (Sarcasm).

Read again its the lyari gangsters who wish to take area by force and its the bhai log who retaliated and fired back forcing the rats to retreat. Police and rangers are a burden on resources these people are total waste when it comes to karachi.

Read again its the lyari gangsters who wish to take area by force and its the bhai log who retaliated and fired back forcing the rats to retreat. Police and rangers are a burden on resources these people are total waste when it comes to karachi.

bhai log already collection extortion money, no?

Why is it people assume I lack the mental capability to read a 1 page brief? Or perhaps have some form of comprehension problems. Fact of the matter is, as I exposed in my post that you quoted, that part of town is under control of Bahi loag an this a common occurrence in Karachi, did we forget the Katti Pahari incident a month back?

if PPP had persued eliminating the aman comittee in lyari last time it wont have to be so grim this time around?

the truth is that PPP cares for its bastard son and its no surprising qaim ali shah went to lyari first then any place else to pay homeage to the winning candidate

but of course we should be spending on deterring the Indian - lets never forget the Indian

How much of this is a matter of finance and how much is about political cover for the gangsters?

If the Rangers had Western-style standard issue equipment, would they even be allowed to carry out their job?

Why is it people assume I lack the mental capability to read a 1 page brief? Or perhaps have some form of comprehension problems. Fact of the matter is, as I exposed in my post that you quoted, that part of town is under control of Bahi loag an this a common occurrence in Karachi, did we forget the Katti Pahari incident a month back?

machar colony belonged to PPP in the last election, MQM never had hold of this area and presently on may 11th MQM won this area after a gap of 15 years

extortion activities in this area is largely because of aman committee and lyari gangs and talibans

machar colony belonged to PPP in the last election, MQM never had hold of this area and presently on may 11th MQM won this area after a gap of 15 years

extortion activities in this area is largely because of aman committee and lyari gangs and talibans

Sir Taliban ko chor kar, ap mujhe 1990's set eik sall quote kar dain jis mein lyari gang wars nahi hoon?

Yar itna bura na maan , when someone label a elected political party who i voted for as "bhai log" which means gangsters than we get a little carried away , however no offence intended.
>
What happened @ Katti pahari ?

bhai log already collection extortion money, no?

yeah the same bhai log who are defending and fighting for our city which is at war with Talibans and extremists forces from last 30 years esp when our rest of the country men used to be allied with these mad men - is a tough ****** fight.

Ab ap un ko gangsters bolo you have the right of opinion for me they are Heroes , time have taught this country hard lessons , i guess we need more time btw for the first time IK has started to agree with AH , the titanic is sinking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom