What's new

EU gives Pakistan GSP Plus status

Gryphon

Reaction score
December 12, 2013

EU-Pakistan-GSPPlus_12-12-2013_130028_l.jpg

BRUSSELS: The European Parliament has approved GSP Plus status for Pakistan. 406 parliamentarians expressed their support for Pakistan and the status has been granted till 2017.

The status will prove to be of great benefit to Pakistan’s textile manufacturers and exporters who will now have access to 27 European countries without having to pay duties.

Textile exports had been declining in Pakistan, as manufacturers and exporters were finding it hard to compete with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh who already had duty-free access to European markets.

EU gives Pakistan GSP Plus status | BUSINESS - geo.tv

EU Parliament spokesperson told that there was no opposition from India.

Hmm so EU has now debunked claims by Pak media that India was against it.

BTW This shows the poor quality of Pak diplomacy that even BD & Sri Lanka got GSP before Pak.

Pakistan will benefit about 5 billion US dollars annually from this status.

just one question, does that mean the quota on export is also lifted? @Rafael ?

I dont know about others but just today I had some real promising news on European orders. Why we did not have this before and other countries doing much better than us for the past 5 years is beyond me.

I dont know about others but just today I had some real promising news on European orders. Why we did not have this before and other countries doing much better than us for the past 5 years is beyond me.

Cause a lot of countries were opposing it.

It faced oppositions from countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Vietnam, Brazil, Peru and Argentina. These countries opposed the GSP facility to Pakistan, as they claimed the status would affect their exports to the EU and other European countries.

India withdrew its objections after getting MFN status from Pakistan in November 2011. Most of the opposing countries dropped their objections after the EU amended the waivers to include a tariff rate quota (TRQ) on some products, limiting the amount of exports that are eligible for duty waivers

Texperts

GSP+ owes to alot of things
1- The effective lobbying of current governor Punjab Ch Serwer.
2- PPP's policy of putting a hold on death penality and the continuation of current government over it.
3-Back channel diplomacy started by the current government after holding the office.

Good news for Pakistan!

Indian scuttle my as$!!

Thats Great

Our export now can pickup.
I hope the export is pushed to beyond 40billion dollars within the next 2 years

Thats Great

Our export now can pickup.
I hope the export is pushed to beyond 40billion dollars within the next 2 years

with due respect

Exports without major tourism from the West will be limited to the government to government protocols.

Remember

Exporting country is like a store.

People must feel at home in a store to buy stuff from there.

That means the store employees be willing to create the same atmosphere as the one shoppers have at other stores.

China is the biggest exporter to the West right now.

Learn from them as to how they make their Western customers feel at home in China.
South Koreans are leading the charge in electronics and car export to the West.
Learn from S. Koreans as to how they make their Western customers feel at home in S Korea.

just realize that for 200 million population, Paksitan needs at least 200 to 500 billion dollars worth of exports every year.

That would allow us to have decent schools, defnese, and good roads from developing country standards but not rich in anyways.

Comparison.

S. Korea - population 50 million, exports 500 billion dollars. Foriegn resevers 300 billion dollars.

Pakistan - 4 times the population.

So if we ever want to live like S Koreans

our exports have to be around 2000 billion, and foreign reserves to be 1200 billion dollars.

Hope you understand.

exports are not linked to just factories and businessmen running the factories.

exports are linked to the societies and how mehman nawaz they are.

peace

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom