What's new

Epilepsy

Aawish

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Questions:
  1. Can a person with epilepsy join Pakistan Army?
  2. What if a person does not disclose his medical issue during medical trials and he gets into the army but gets epilepsy attack during service?
  3. Is there is any way Army can detect epilepsy during the intial medical test?

Questions:
  2. What if a person does not disclose his medical issue during medical trials and he gets into the army but gets epilepsy attack during service?

How often do you get attacks? What are your triggers?

Alhamdulillah, I am fine. I am asking for my cousin, who is very passionate about joining Army but he had many severe attacks in the past few years.

Questions:
1. I dont know about your force but those with epilepsy can join but are relegated to logistic/repair or office work.
2. For this, again back to #1.
3. No, epilepsy is not an easy one to detect as there are different types.

My foremost question, why is he not on medication? It is lifelong and if this was there since childhood then the parents need to be counselled for getting him to see a neurologist with EEG observation for around 3 days. Normally this is not a challenge illness. Phenobarb is most frequently prescribed medication and works well but there are many many newer ones now.

He has been taking medicines for at least 5 years. But according to some doctors, he may remain on medication forever as there is no significant improvement in his recent EEGs albeit he didn't have any significant attack in a year.

He has been taking medicines for at least 5 years. But according to some doctors, he may remain on medication forever as there is no significant improvement in his recent EEGs albeit he didn't have any significant attack in a year.
Yes, mostly it is lifelong; not a big deal as long as it is control.

Just remember to carry it with anywhere he goes. Just avoid alcohol or cinemas - flash can induce migraine leading trigger to epilepsy; swimming is off limits. That is another area which is off limits e.g diving a person i recall enlisted into scuba diving squad; he drowned off Port Elizabeth when he had an attack while on training in the water.

Still he should have 0 attacks is the criteria for joining while on medication for past 3 years - at least here. I knew a few in our squads no issues.

I think different armed forces of different countries have varying rules. I still want to know official criteria for selection in Pakistan army.

I think different armed forces of different countries have varying rules. I still want to know official criteria for selection in Pakistan army.
My suggestion will be not to have him join based on what you have described. Epilepsy post childhood tends to be more severe and you need to be extra cautious
Best is to visit or connect with doctors who are part of the assessment schemes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom