What's new

Engro ready to receive first shipment of LNG

ziaulislam

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Engro Elengy – the company that won the contract to handle liquefied natural gas (LNG) and has built a jetty at Port Qasim for the purpose – will be ready to receive shipments from March 10, the company’s chief executive officer Shiekh Imranul Haque said.

“The Floating Storage and Re-gasification Unit (FSRU) leased by the company to convert super-chilled liquid methane into gas will leave Dubai on March 7 and reach Karachi in three days,” he said.

“We are ready,” he said, speaking to journalists during a visit to FSRU at Dubai’s dry docks. “Now, it’s up to the government to let us know if they are ready to begin import.”

LNG will be arranged by the government, which initially aims to import 200 million cubic feet per day (mmfcd) to meet the rising demand from the power sector.

But Islamabad is yet to announce a firm agreement with any LNG supplier. Reportedly, talks are in advance stages with Qatar to secure long-term supply.

Mode of payment to suppliers also remains unclear. While government has said that Pakistan State Oil (PSO) will be used to open letter of credits, company itself has been tightlipped about it.

Just last month, Elengy, a subsidiary of Engro Corporation, succeeded in receiving $30 million for the project, which has a total cost of $133.3 million. It was a major breakthrough as Engro financed construction of jetty, a 24-kilometre long pipeline and lease of FSRU on its own. Besides the Asian Development Bank loan, International Finance Corporation (IFC) and local banks will provide $20 million and $50 million, respectively.

The remaining $33.3 million has come in as equity investment.

“This is basically bridge financing,” a person close to the development said. “It’s a retrospective loan to help the project take off.”

Even though the state-controlled Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) has guaranteed that it would receive gas imported by the government, banks were hesitant to finance the project.

Haque said Engro has fulfilled its commitment by constructing all facilities in record 300 days.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 4th, 2015.

so the questions is? whether the govt is ready to simply take in imported gas or is still stuck in bureaucratic loop holes and inefficiency .

if state held companies cant do it and govt held GENCO are not ready to take in LNG they should allow private sector to do it!

so the questions is? whether the govt is ready to simply take in imported gas or is still stuck in bureaucratic loop holes and inefficiency .

if state held companies cant do it and govt held GENCO are not ready to take in LNG they should allow private sector to do it!
Most of the gencos are furnace based plants so they can't use LNG because they would need conversion for that. Plus the Gencos are among the least efficient plants while there are more efficient power plants with IPPs (Saif, HUBCO and now Nandipur) which can operate at above desired efficiency required by NEPRA. So most of these IPPs will be prioritized by Govt for LNG supply over Gencos.Some IPPs are privately in discussion with Engro Corp for supplies of LNG as soon as they start receiving the shipments

Another govt bashing thread , Present govt took initiative to build the LNG Terminal in the country and would import LNg for the first time in our history which will replace costly generation of Power via diesel and Furnace oil . It would also help nourish the famine hit Pakistani industry . If some one is biased and does not want to give any credit to govt , it has no solution .

Another govt bashing thread , Present govt took initiative to build the LNG Terminal in the country and would import LNg for the first time in our history which will replace costly generation of Power via diesel and Furnace oil . It would also help nourish the famine hit Pakistani industry . If some one is biased and does not want to give any credit to govt , it has no solution .
no govt bashing thread, govt ALLOWED the private sector to build LNG terminal and i agree its a great achievement...
if it doesnt allow it to import gas and instead start paying penalties than i guess it would be blunder..so far it seems its heading that way.

no govt bashing thread, govt ALLOWED the private sector to build LNG terminal and i agree its a great achievement...
if it doesnt allow it to import gas and instead start paying penalties than i guess it would be blunder..so far it seems its heading that way.
Govt seems to be serious in adressing power shortage issues , because i see the cabinet commitee headed by PM meets every week . I think govt must also have the plan to import gas from Qatar , lets hope that there is no delay in import of Lng.

Govt seems to be serious in adressing power shortage issues , because i see the cabinet commitee headed by PM meets every week . I think govt must also have the plan to import gas from Qatar , lets hope that there is no delay in import of Lng.
LNG deal with Qatar is already finalized

Back
Top Bottom