What's new

Dhaka MRT-6 inauguration at 16th December, 2021.

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
After completion of 1st and 2nd phage of MRT-6 route from Uttara 3rd phage to Motijhil, will be inaugurated at 16th December, 2021. Soon MRT-1, 20 km subway from Airport to Kamalapur construction will start. A 2.5 billion dollar agreement with Japan signed during the ongoing visit by PM Hasina to Japan for this purpose. Including these two, total 6 MRT line will be constructed to solve the public transport crisis in Dhaka by 2030.

Last edited:
After completion of 1st and 2nd phage of MRT-6 route from Uttara 3rd phage to Motijhil, will be inaugurated at 16th December 2021.
To me, it seems this schedule was provided by the Japanese. Still more than 30 months from now, it is likely to be done.

To me, it seems this schedule was provided by the Japanese. Still more than 30 months from now, it is likely to be done.
It is almost certain that Metrorail will be formally inaugurated at 16th December, 2021 by hook or by crook. All along I have suspected this. Because AL like publicity stunt. And there can not be any better publicity stunt than inaugurating metrorail at 50th anniversary of Victory day. They will inaugurate it in that day and will say, this is our gift to the nation on this auspicious occasion. This year, the recently inaugurated 3 bridges are said by Sheikh Hasina to be the gift of Eid for people.

Last edited:
It is almost certain that Metrorail will be formally inaugurated at 16th December, 2021 by hook or by crook. All along I have suspected this. Because AL like publicity stunt. And there can not be any better publicity stunt than inaugurating metrorail at 50th anniversary of Victory day. They will inaugurate it in that day and will say, this is our gift to the nation on this auspicious occasion. This year, the recently inaugurated 3 bridges are said by Sheikh Hasina to be the gift of Eid for people.
However, in reality, it is neither the GoB nor BAL who is working directly on the project. It is Japanese companies under JICA. They do everything meticulously and not without a proper schedule. So, if the date has been given by the Japanese, they have taken into account all the related work activities and adverse factors before they have prepared the main schedule and there is every possibility that they will complete it.

However, so far, I have not read anything from the Japanese source about the schedule. It is always the GoB source. So, I am not very sure. Stations, exits, yards, railway double-track lines, signaling system, importing the carriages, trial runs, ticketing system, etc. and importantly substations and the electrification work along the entire route.

I can see too many work items that need quite a time to complete. It is not the nature of the Japanese people to set arbitrary dates to appease others. Anyway, it is OK if the actual date of completion takes a little more time. Japanese do not allow commissioning without doing a job 100%.

However, in reality, it is neither the GoB nor BAL who is working directly on the project. It is Japanese companies under JICA. They do everything meticulously and not without a proper schedule. So, if the date has been given by the Japanese, they have taken into account all the related work activities and adverse factors before they have prepared the main schedule and there is every possibility that they will complete it.

However, so far, I have not read anything from the Japanese source about the schedule. It is always the GoB source. So, I am not very sure. Stations, exits, yards, railway double-track lines, signaling system, importing the carriages, trial runs, ticketing system, etc. and importantly substations and the electrification work along the entire route.

I can see too many work items that need quite a time to complete. It is not the nature of the Japanese people to set arbitrary dates to appease others. Anyway, it is OK if the actual date of completion takes a little more time. Japanese do not allow commissioning without doing a job 100%.
Underground line would had been much faster. Japanese recommend over the ground track without taking into account BD reality. Its not that Japanese are always right.

Underground line would had been much faster. Japanese recommend over the ground track without taking into account BD reality. Its not that Japanese are always right.
Japanese prefers an overhead train system probably because the underground system is too difficult, too costly and too time-consuming, especially when Dhaka is under water half the year. Think of a situation when all the rainwater goes down to the tunnel for open cut and no amount of pumping works. Moreover, where do you propose to dispose of the water? So, the construction period will be limited to less than six months.

However, I have read somewhere that a small part of Metro will go underground, open excavation or tunneling, I don't know.

Last edited:
However, I have read somewhere that a small part of Metro will go underground, open excavation or tunneling, I don't know.

mrt_line_1_final.jpg

The map above says there will be a 19.8 km stretch of Metro subway MRT-1 to be completed in 2026.

https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/news/underground-metro-first-line-2026-1696660

@TopCat

Japanese prefers an overhead train system probably because the underground system is too difficult, too costly and too time-consuming, especially when Dhaka is under water half the year. Think of a situation when all the rainwater goes down to the tunnel for open cut and no amount of pumping works. Moreover, where do you propose to dispose of the water? So, the construction period will be limited to less than six months.

Now all of the lines except Purbachal detour will be under ground. In Dhaka it is very difficult to go overhead as most of the utility lines were laid without any proper master plan. Nobody knows where is what until you dig it out.

In the Video (if you watch carefully) Mr. Obaidul Quader mentions that 20 KM portion of the lines will be under ground.
All other lines are underground from now on except the ones outside congested dhaka.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom