What's new

Democracy without local government is worse than dictatorship, said Altaf Hussain

Patriots

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
850813c44b352c7271b030c9c163d900.jpg

“For me a democratic system without local government is worse than a dictatorship,” said MQM chief Altaf Hussain.

KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain said on Wednesday that the judges who have decided to try former President General (Retd) Pervez Musharraf under Article 6 for treason should either release the former dictator or take suo moto action against all those involved in the 1999 coup.

Addressing his supporters via video link on Wednesday evening, Altaf asked why all those lawyers, who had participated in the movement to restore judiciary, do not protest that all those involved in 1999 coup were not being tried along with Musharraf.

Democracy without local government is worse than dictatorship

Talking about local government and democracy, the MQM chief said, “For me a democratic system without local government is worse than a dictatorship.”

The MQM chief said whenever a civil government comes in to power in Pakistan, it never holds local bodies elections, which is the basic element of any democratic society. He added that army dictatorships should be given the credit for holding local government elections.

“I would like to ask all the so called democrats and intellectuals, what is democracy?” MQM chief asked. Democracy is a system of government, by the people, off the people and for the people, it is not the rule of a family or feudals, he added.

Talking about delayed justice and imprisonment of people for longer than their stipulated sentences, Altaf urged the judiciary to start accountability of lower judiciary.

The MQM chief further suggested that courts should be set up in jails and inmates should be asked for how long they have been imprisoned. If prisoners have completed their term then they should be released.

Responding to criticism for calling for more administrative units, Altaf said that PPP’s government had presented the resolution in the assembly for the creation of South Punjab, and now PPP’s chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is talking against the creation of new administrative units in Sindh. Addressing Bilawal, he said, “You have studied abroad, are you not aware that new administrative units are created with increase in population.”

He alleged that PPP co-chairman and former president Asif Ali Zardari has found a new way of criticising people, “Where he [Zardari] does not want to say something directly, he directs Bilawal to say it.”

Commenting on current political impasse, the MQM chief said, “I urge the incumbent government to accept the demands of PAT and PTI, as most of their demands are just and let the machinery of state work.”

MQM government

Talking about an MQM government and what they would do if they came into power, Altaf claimed that MQM’s government can come into power if the establishment helps them. “But I do not know why establishment is against us.”

“If our party comes in power, in one year, we will evict the loan takers from their palaces and build schools and welfare organisations there,” said MQM chief.

Referring to the prevailing energy crisis in the country, MQM chief said, “Government says they would buy electricity from China, India, I ask then why don’t they generate electricity at home?” If people of Sindh have reservations over the construction of Kalabagh Dam, then construct a network of small dams all over the country, he advised.

Either set Musharraf free or try him along with accomplices: MQM chief – The Express Tribune

MQM government
Talking about an MQM government and what they would do if they came into power, Altaf claimed that MQM’s government can come into power if the establishment helps them. “But I do not know why establishment is against us.”
Aaj kaal bhai kuch ziada he sach bolna shuru ho gay hain :lol:

do some thing about it than instead of whining
Jinhon nay karna hay ab yeh to unki nazre-karam hay...Parti hay bhai par ya nahi...Aur AH sirf akila ummedwar nahi hay do mareez aur bhee hain iss anar kay :D

Jinhon nay karna hay ab yeh to unki nazre-karam hay...Parti hay bhai par ya nahi...Aur AH sirf akila ummedwar nahi hay do mareez aur bhee hain iss anar kay :D
Jinho nay ... 2 mareez kiya !!!! Sedha Bol dain sirkar no harm in that ! neither you are their spokesman

I think corruption is more rampant in local government. From what I've heard Sardars and criminals dominate the scene. Correct me if I'm wrong.

that is absolutely true.. sadly neither MQM nor PTI is pushing the agenda as hard as they should have...

this is another way to break this monarchy of industrialists/feudals

Jinho nay ... 2 mareez kiya !!!! Sedha Bol dain sirkar no harm in that ! neither you are their spokesman
AH ke jaan jin chriyaon main hay woh unhon kay pass hain. Plus AH is also counting on the return of a Musharrafic era where MQM was allowed to rule with free hand. Achay din kisi ko nahi bholtay but the problem is that the master doesn't have same priorities all the times. May be this time around the coin would flip in favor for the new born party in Karachi.....I said it before and I am saying it again, unless dharnas don't go away, NS should keep a check on his back for a stab. But AH will try his best to snatch a lucrative deal from whichever way it comes (Govt or the counterbalance).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom