What's new

Delay in signing of LNG deal to cost govt $272,000/day: Engro

ziaulislam

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Engro Elengy Terminal Limited (ETPL) — a subsidiary of Engro Corporation — on Tuesday said the government had failed to sign a deal for import of liquefied natural gas (LNG) with any supplier and would be liable to pay $272,000 per day to Engro with effect from March 31, 2015.

It said as committed the Engro’s $135 million LNG terminal was ready to start up provided the government strikes liquefied gas import deal.

“The terminal has been completed in a record time and now we are waiting for the government to finalise LNG procurement deal,” Shaikh Imran-ul-Haq CEO of ETPL said. “If the commodity is not delivered by March 31, 2015, the government would be liable to pay the capacity charges.”

The FSRU Exquisite, the floating storage and re-gasification vessel is anchored at Dubai Dry docks and will be ready to make sail by March 15, 2015.

“As per the agreement, the government will have to pay $272,000 per day for not importing the LNG by March 31. The government has so far virtually failed to ink an LNG deal with any country, including Qatar,” the company said in a statement.

According to Engro, international dealers were hesitant to supply LNG to Pakistan for power sector, which is virtually hit by circular debt and Independent Power Producers (IPPs) were not willing to make an agreement with LNG supply for back-to-back letters of credit.

Talking about their bid regarding second FSRU terminal at Port Qasim, Haq said they were hopeful about the result. He said that LNG import was inevitable for the country as it would address several energy scarcity issues.

“Given the energy demand of the country, only LNG import would not be sufficient. Pakistan will have to import other commodities also to streamline its energy mix,” he added.

Engro’s LNG terminal is completed even before the financial close. Engro Corp funded this project under bridge loans. However, recently Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $30 million project loan for the terminal.

Haq informed that the money would be transferred to them by early next month, which would have to be retired in 8-10 years.

Along with ADB’s loan, International Finance Corporation is expected to fund 15pc of the project cost and local banks will finance around 35pc. The rest of the project financing will come from equity proceeds, for a total cost of around $135 million.

The fuel, suitable for use at most of the country’s combined cycle power plants, will be supplied to Sui Southern Gas Company’s gas distribution network via a new high pressure pipeline.

The plant has the capacity for re-gasification of up to 600mmcfd. The government had tendered for its requirement of 200mmcfd, but Engro has developed a surplus capacity setup.

Engro is in negotiation with other parties for the utilisation of its surplus capacity.

SSGC has tendered for another terminal at Port Qasim, while a consortium of three investors is developing plans for another facility in nearby Karachi.

Pakistan urgently needs to utilise its existing power generation capacity fully, while reducing its reliance on costly imported diesel fuel for electricity generation.

Re-gasification of LNG will allow generation facilities to reach their maximum potential, using a cleaner and more efficient fuel, and will support the country’s push for greater energy security and diversification.

The converted fuel will help the government make an estimated savings of about $1.0 billion per annum on its current fuel import bill of nearly $15 billion.

Published in Dawn, March 11th, 2015

Lng is a good initiative by govt but you need to be fast on initiatives completion rather than you stay infront of fingre pointing .govt must cut a deal with Qatar and import gas as soon as possible .

govt has been lucky that a private investor has setup a 600 MMCF gas capacity, now either it should import itself or allow private sector to do so..cant it find gas anywhere in whole earth?

i just read deal is signed first ship of lng will arrive on 28

upload_2015-3-13_16-10-9.png

Just on samma news , i think minister read this thread and speedily imported LNGs first consignment on 26th of March .

govt has been lucky that a private investor has setup a 600 MMCF gas capacity, now either it should import itself or allow private sector to do so..cant it find gas anywhere in whole earth?

They apparently don't want shia gas..............(sorry for the sarcasm but u get the point)

View attachment 202198

Just on samma news , i think minister read this thread and speedily imported LNGs first consignment on 26th of March .
thank you for the update, indeed good news if its true. I am happy they will be able to make the 31 march dead line. now lets hope govt moves forward and utilize the full capacity of 600 instead of 200. CNG sector itself has came forward to import gas itself in a new development

the Universal Gas Distribution Company (UGDC) – a company established by owners of CNG stations by pooling their own resources – conveyed to the government last month that it could open $60-70 million worth letters of credit (L/Cs) for importing three shipments of LNG that would be enough to meet CNG sector’s requirement for at least 45 days. The imports could be arranged in 10 days, it had informed the government.

we have good private sector the government need to facilitate them rather than being a hurdle, congrats to govt for signing the deal just in time

@cb4 when will gas shortage be removed? As soon as first shipment arrives?

I assume there are some gas power plants that may be waiting for gas to arrive so they can start running 24/7 which means still gas shortage for public.

we're paying 20-30% less than india. its a good deal.

I assume there are some gas power plants that may be waiting for gas to arrive so they can start running 24/7 which means still gas shortage for public.

We're paying 20-30% less than india. its a good deal.

When this deal about LNG was first announced, there was a thread on here where people (as always), were complaining how they were paying "more" for LNG due to your government being corrupt and getting commissions.

I wrote back then that this deal is cheaper and would end up saving many billions over the course of next 5 years. The electric generation power stations run through expensive Petro-oil, will be converted over to LNG, turning the electricity about 25-30% cheaper and with about 20% less in maintenance costs, as oil based furnaces have massive maintenance costs, vs. burning LNG flame.

This is a 15 year long deal. Meaning the prices will be stationary as of this year (when the Oil and Gas prices are record low). If Pakistanis work as a nation with focus on growth, 15 years are more than enough to turn your economy around and be in top 20 economies. Than, who cares about the price as the GDP and per capita income would be at a level where almost everyone could afford it. Indeed a very strategic move and very long term thinking. This will reduce the cost of electricity, goods and services across Pakistan, helping business sell and transport their products for cheaper, resulting in more profits.

This LNG import will be used in power plants which will save $1 billion per year initially replacing petrol.

we're paying 20-30% less than india. its a good deal.

actually not really. its the same deal. India has been paying less when the oil prices were rocketing over 100. so even if they have tp pay little more now, on average its probably the same deal . India got 9-10 $ at time when Qatar was offering us above 18$, so imagine that.

when prices go up i bet we will be paying more than india but frankly i dont know whats the pricing mechanism whether its link to oil or not.

actually not really. its the same deal. India has been paying less when the oil prices were rocketing over 100. so even if they have tp pay little more now, on average its probably the same deal . India got 9-10 $ at time when Qatar was offering us above 18$, so imagine that.

when prices go up i bet we will be paying more than india but frankly i dont know whats the pricing mechanism whether its link to oil or not.

I think its linked with oil but 15-20% below.

They apparently don't want shia gas..............(sorry for the sarcasm but u get the point)

Stop posting stupid posts, pipe line is on track. Pakistan is just wating for Iran sanctions to be lifted.

I think gov is on track to provide 100% energy to industries and reduce loadshedding by considerable amount in 3 years.

Its not about Shia gas. Its Iran's alliance with India.
If Pakistan allows Iranian gas into Pakistani pipelines,they will want further extension to India which Pakistan simply doesnt want.

Its not about Shia gas. Its Iran's alliance with India.
If Pakistan allows Iranian gas into Pakistani pipelines,they will want further extension to India which Pakistan simply doesnt want.

Who told you Pak doesn't want that? India will pay $500-1000 million every year to Pakistan for importinf gas :)

Who told you Pak doesn't want that? India will pay $500-1000 million every year to Pakistan for importinf gas :)
And cut it in event of war.

It should be Indians not wanting it, not other way around. They'll fear supply being cut and then paying us for this line.

Back
Top Bottom