What's new

Death by debt.

SekrutYakhni

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The News International - No. 1 English Newspaper from Pakistan - Monday, April 19, 2010

By Dr Ashfaque H Khan
This is my fourth article on this subject in the last seven months. What prompted me to write yet another article on the same subject in a short span are the numbers pertaining to external debt and liabilities (EDL) and public debt released by different government agencies for the first half (July – December) of the current fiscal year. These numbers are worrisome and need to be brought to the notice of the general public.

It is well-known that high and rising debt burden constitutes a serious threat to growth and development. It is a major impediment to macroeconomic stability and thus to growth, employment generation and poverty alleviation. It is also a discouragement to foreign investment because it creates uncertainty about the government's policy and thus generates a high risk environment for doing business in the country. High and rising debt burden also puts pressure on exchange rate, thus causing sharp depreciation with attendant difficulties for price stability. This also becomes a source of discouragement for government to undertake wide-ranging structural reforms in the various sectors of the economy.

Pakistan has witnessed serious debt crisis in the 1990s and accordingly experienced deterioration in the macroeconomic environment, leading to deceleration in investment and growth and the associated rise in unemployment and poverty. The last two years have taken Pakistan back to the decade of the 1990s. Faltering of growth, persistence of large fiscal and current account deficits and sharp depreciation of exchange rate have already produced unsustainable debt burden. Accordingly, Pakistan has become heavily dependent on external financial support from the IMF, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Islamic Development Bank and bilateral sources. Its excessive reliance on external financial support has compelled Pakistan to compromise on its national security.

It took six/seven years of hard work to bring the economy out of the difficulties of the 1990s. Pakistan's public debt was brought down from over 100 per cent of GDP in 1998-99 to 55 per cent by end-June 2007, the external debt reduced from 66 per cent of GDP to 28.2 per cent, debt servicing which used to be over 72 per cent of our total revenue declined to 35 per cent and debt servicing and defence spending which was over 100 per cent of total revenue was brought down to 54 per cent during the same period.

In short, the country's debt burden was reduced to one-half in just six/seven years. The reduction in debt burden released resources to be spent on people and infrastructure. Consistent with empirical evidence, the decline in debt burden led to the acceleration in economic growth, job creation and poverty reduction. Pakistan emerged as one of the four fastest growing economies in the Asian region; it created 13 million jobs and reduced the poverty by one-half during the period.

Sharp reduction in debt burden resulted in continuous improvement in credit ratings by Standard and Poor's and Moody's. Improvements in sovereign credit ratings encouraged Pakistan to enter international capital and equity markets. Whenever Pakistan floated sovereign bonds those were over-subscribed by multiples. The IMF staff wrote "the large and sustained decline in the external debt-GDP ratio was one of Pakistan's most remarkable macroeconomic achievements of recent years". Comparing Pakistan with those countries which sought exceptional assistance from the IMF, the IMF staff wrote "this level of external debt is significantly lower than those of countries that have had exceptional access arrangements from the Fund in recent years." (See 'Pakistan – Assessment of Risks to the Fund and the Fund's Liquidity Position', IMF, November 20, 2008).

In the same document, it is written that "at the 2005 Board Discussion of Pakistan's ex-post assessment, Directors highlighted the dramatic change in ownership of economic policies in Pakistan compared to earlier periods, and emphasised that steadfast implementation of sound policies and broad-based structural reforms were mainly responsible for Pakistan's economic recovery".

This was Pakistan two years ago. Today, the country is drowned under debt. The recently released numbers pertaining to debt are scary. Public debt increased from Rs7542 billion in end-June 2009 to Rs8470 billion in end-December 2009. In other words, Pakistan added Rs928 billion in public debt in just six months. Exchange rate depreciation alone contributed Rs181 billion in the rise of public debt in six months. Since end-June 2007, Pakistan has added Rs3656 billion in public debt, in which, the contribution of exchange rate depreciation is estimated at Rs1165 billion or 32 per cent. It is disturbing to note that in the last 60 years the total stock of public debt stood at Rs4814 billion and in just two and a half years, we added Rs3656 billion in public debt to stand at Rs8470 billion by end-December 2009. This is nothing but a massacre of the country's economy by the current political leadership.

External debt and liabilities stood at $55.7 billion by end-December 2009 – increased from $52.3 billion in end-June 2009. In other words, Pakistan added $3.342 billion in external debt in just six months of the year. For the information of our readers, Pakistan added $2.6 billion in external debt in seven years but in the last two and a half years, it added $15.3 billion to stand at $55.7 billion.

It pains me when political leaders misguide their own people by telling lies. It pains me even more when the so-called experts – particularly the Panel of Economists led by Dr Hafiz Pasha and Economic Advisory Group led by Shaukat Tarin misguided political leadership by distorting facts. Is this the service to the nation? Is this what patriotism is all about? Why these experts have not presented these facts which I have just narrated above? Why did the political leadership hide the facts from the people of Pakistan but told the truth to the IFIs? I leave this to the readers to judge on the basis of facts.

The writer is director general and dean at NUST Business School, Islamabad. Email: ahkhan@nbs.edu.pk

That's why I always support Musharaf. What he did to the country's economy is what only a few can understand after all how come a big bunch Emotional freaks would understand such facts and figures when their brains are locked within the boundaries of favorism, ethnic support and low literacy.

Don't give these people facts and figures give them decorated Slogans to fool them around. Pakistan khapay khapay khapay. :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

All that is happening in Pakistan is what we do not deserve becuase what we deserve is the worst and the worst is yet to come!!

I know, Im getting pessimistic perhaps this is my frustration :pakistan:

Last edited:
Dr Ashfaque was the head of the Debt Office and his claims have always been countered by Dr Meekal Aziz Ahmed and a very objective view is held by Dr Ali Cheema. Dr Ashfaque defends the policies he initiated as flawless and does not even accept the smallest of failures.

Simplifying economic matters for the average person has extreme negative consequences and people tend to take things at face value without reading between the lines and observing if factors have been adjusted/twisted to give a better picture.

If I were to simplify accounts, (which is a crime but let's allow one exception) of the previous decade of superficial economic growth :

Consumption led growth is impossible to sustain and a completely wrong path for a developing country. While it promises radical urbanization, industrialization and economic diversification; it is in itself flawed for a developing nation has to produce rather than consume to move ahead.

But these issues are suited for academic debates rather than one-line-smug-smile-on-my-face comments. Objectivity is required when analyzing economies and it has never occurred that all economists agree on a certain mode of economic progress or they stop debating the effects of any policies.

On poverty numbers
Friday, November 06, 2009

On poverty numbers

I am aware that some of your readers are weary of reading me and Dr Ashfaque H Khan disagree with each other. However, may I seek their indulgence once again and urge Dr Khan to stop distorting the facts of economic history (Oct 27)?

After having done his little nauseous publicity gig about how well the economy performed in the period 2000-07, Dr Khan proceeds to describe how things fell apart in 2007-08. He gives the impression that it all happened overnight, in just one year and out of the blue, and was due entirely to external exogenous, non-policy factors, namely, the oil and commodities price surge, the global recession, and so on. This is simply not true. How could the so-called economic managers of the day not know that the economy growing as fast as claimed was clearly under immense strain and overheating? The only way that fast growth would not have ignited inflation and put pressure on macroeconomic imbalances would be if there had been a concurrent sharp upward jump in economy-wide Total Factor Productivity (TFP). There is no evidence of this. While TFP typically rises in an economic upswing, it needs to be a permanent, structural shift, not only a cyclical one, if there is to be sustainable non-inflationary growth with moderate imbalances.

As I have been at pains to point out, the seeds of the economic crisis of 2007-08 were sown during the halcyon days that Dr Khan is so obsessed with. The operative word is 'lags', Dr Khan. The exogenous factors that he describes exacerbated the crisis of 2007-08. They were neither the initiating nor the causative factors of that crisis. A private IMF warning of the dangers of overheating went unheeded. A highly critical IMF report was re-written and the mission chief's name removed from the document. If Dr Khan wishes, I can send him the contact email of the expunged author, provided the author gives me his permission to do so.

Let us stop misleading people because we owe it to them, and ourselves, to be truthful. Even the great guru, Alan Greenspan, in evidence before the US Congress apologised for his mistake in keeping US interest rates too low for too long and creating asset bubbles that popped and almost caused another Great Depression. The world economy is lucky to get away with only a Great Recession. Dr Khan needs to be similarly forthcoming even if he is no Greenspan. Distortions of the truth get us nowhere and we know the old saying about those who do not learn from history being condemned to repeat it.

Dr Meekal A Ahmed
Virginia, US

This is with reference to Dr Meekal A Ahmed's letter titled "On poverty numbers" (Oct 3). The writer is right about the collapse of growth rate, the increase in poverty numbers and the burst of economic bubble created by the economic team led by Shaukat Aziz. Former prime minister Shukat Aziz was not an economist but a smart investor and he knew very well how to create 'fake money' and then add it to the consumer market. This is now part of record that the economic growth rate and productivity figures were cooked up to give an impression of false growth. To add to misery, pension funds and government-linked companies were told to invest in the stock market.

Undoubtedly the sudden increase in consumer credit gives a boost to the production industry but as long as the investment in the production sector is higher than consumer credit, it will result in overheating and inflation. During 2006-07 the well-manipulated fake growth was managed by deferred oil payments, rescheduled debts and non-payments to power producers. The entire saving from these payments was directed to the consumer market and equity trading. The Karachi Stock Exchange rose from meagre 800 points in 1999 to over 15,000 points in 2007, meaning an injection of $70 billion. Although there was growth in the production sector it was not proportionate to the huge injection in equity markets. During the surge in the stock market, many earned hefty profits and became billionaires without adding anything to real 'productivity' or GNP.

I also agree with the writer that non-inflationary growth with moderate imbalances is healthy for economy but it has to be backed by proportionate growth in the production sector. Otherwise, it can never be sustained. This is what happened to Shaukat Aziz's economic bubble. When the new government took over, the immediate liabilities were far greater than available foreign exchange reserves and the entire structure created in a vacuum collapsed. Although the figures, fudged in his time as the economic wizard, were pretty attractive that was merely a scam. The most unfortunate aspect of this manipulation was of non-investment in the power sector, especially the dams, and it will continue to haunt us in future.

Ahmad Nadeem Gehla

Kedah, Malaysia

With reference to Dr Meekal Ahmed's letter in the Nov 5 edition of your newspaper, I would like to assure him that a great number of the readers of The News welcome his letters on economic issues as they give an unbiased opinion of a seasoned economist who has a vast experience both in Pakistan and at the International Monetary Fund. Dr Ahmed is right in saying that "the seeds of the economic crisis of 2007-08 were sown during the halcyon that Dr Khan is so obsessed with". An economy is like a human body which shows signs before the actual malaise strikes.

These signs were visible long before 2007-08, but Musharraf's economic team either could not see or deliberately neglected them as it was busy all the time portraying a rosy picture of the economy. The members of that team still waste no opportunity to tell us how the economy was moving up and prosperity was all around during 2000-07. In this backdrop, Dr Ahmed's brief and succinct letters clear the fog and misconceptions created through the manipulation of facts and figures.

Prof Dr Sabit Rahim

Islamabad

Days of milk and honey
By Meekal Aziz Ahmed
Dr Ashfaque Khan wrote an interesting article in your paper recently entitled: “Imperatives of growth.” I support his central thesis which he buttressed with empirical data and sound argument, that macro-stabilisation policies can be pro-poor.

Dr Khan talks wistfully about the last time the Pakistani economy experienced macroeconomic stability, namely, from 2000 to 2007. He lists all the wonderful things that happened, namely, fast growth, low inflation, tight domestic and external balances, rising foreign-exchange reserves, surging foreign investment, rapidly diminishing poverty, and so on.

I would put two points to the good doctor. First, while some good things admittedly happened, there remains deep suspicion over the data that are used to recall those days of wine and roses. This is especially so in regards to the data on growth, possibly inflation, investment, budget deficits, expenditures, including defence expenditures, US reimbursement for services rendered (no one knows where the $10 billion went), and, most controversial of all, and most likely wrong, the pace and character of poverty reduction. “Lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

Second, I would say to Dr Khan that, even assuming the data to be acceptable, he is too smart an economist not to know how fragile and unsustainable the much-touted high growth rate was. He is too smart not to have known that the macroeconomic policies that were being implemented contained the seeds of its destruction.

It did not need much intellectual effort to sense that while there was growth, and other positive things were happening, the economy was clearly overheating and in danger of going off the cliff, unless policies were adjusted quickly. Both fiscal and monetary policies should have been tightened, slowly, but firmly, in recognition of the evidence of economic overheating and what dire consequences it would bring in its wake: widening domestic and external deficits, a pickup in inflation, and, as confidence ebbed, exchange-rate depreciation, capital flight and reserves loss.

Instead of taking measures to slow the torrid pace of domestic demand growth that was pushing against the economy’s supply capacity, everyone carried on as merrily as before, no doubt amid much self-congratulation and back-slapping over how well things were going. If there were voices of concern, they were drowned out. And with no IMF programme, the IMF, which looks at the stance of macroeconomic policies in member countries and assesses their sustainability in the context of its annual Article IV health-check report, had no “leverage” over the fatally flawed policies the government was following. A confidential warning by the IMF in 2004 about the looming risks to the economy went unheeded.

As the output gap closed, the pressure on resources began to manifest itself in many ways, but, most glaringly, and ominously, in rising inflation. No action was taken. When a senior “economic manager” was asked whether he was worried that inflation had gone from two per cent to eight per cent, was rising fast and signalling that something was going very wrong, he remarked, “it is manageable.”

Well, sir, it was not “manageable.” Because, as we knew then, know now, and you did not know at all, inflation accelerated with astonishing speed, to touch levels never seen in Pakistan’s economic history. It is now deeply entrenched, is stubbornly resisting measures to tame it, and it will take years to bring it down, at a huge cost in terms of output and employment.

With no social protection for the fixed-income groups and the poor, millions of people have been pushed into poverty because the “economic managers” of the day displayed an appalling lack of good judgment.

In any event, looking back at the golden era to complete the story, with the economy being driven by bubbles in consumption spending, real estate and the stock market, all that was needed for everything to unravel was for the economy to be hit by an adverse exogenous shock. Sure enough, this shock came in the form of the oil- and commodities-price surge. When superimposed on loose economic policies, which were getting looser each year, these exogenous shocks simply accelerated the economy’s slide towards the abyss, and we ended up, as we always end up, bankrupt and in the lap of the IMF. It is misleading and wrong to attribute the “severe macroeconomic imbalances” that Pakistan experienced recently to external shocks, security issues and poor governance, as Dr Khan does. The timeline of events, factoring in the lags between policy actions and outcomes, clearly shows that the economy was already in serious trouble and headed for disaster well before the impact of adverse exogenous shocks was felt.

It was the cavalier and self-destructive macroeconomic policies being followed by the government of the day that played a major role in bringing the economy to its knees. To be sure, domestic and external shocks, compounded by a reluctance to take strong adjustment measures sooner by the present government, made matters worse; but they were neither the principal nor precipitating factors in yet another costly and needless economic implosion.

The writer has a doctorate from Oxford University and has worked at the Planning Commission and the IMF. Email: meekal ahmed2@aol.com

Yes, Dr Ashfaque, the data are fudged
Monday, July 20, 2009
I write in response to Dr Ashfaque Hasan Khan’s comment on an article I wrote recently challenging the economic accomplishments of the previous regime. Rather than concentrate on the issues I raised, he attacks me for being political and looking for a job. I would say to him that such an attack is in bad taste and quite unnecessary. I would also say to him I thought he knew me better. Dr Ashfaque says that our economic data is credible and is endorsed by all the smartest professionals in various international agencies. He has a short memory.

One of the first things our now-absconding Shaukat Aziz did on taking over as finance minister in the previous government was to accuse the previous government (of Nawaz Sharif) of falsifying the data provided to the IMF. One of the first things Ishaq Dar did on taking over as finance minister early in the present government was to accuse the previous government (of Shaukat Aziz) of fudging the data. This was payback time. Given this background, is the dark cloud of suspicion that hangs over our economic data something new? Is it only me?

Dr Ashfaque asks me to do a bit of reading before making generalised statements. I suggest he do the same. He should go to the IMF website and read the staff report on the subject of fake data that Pakistan presented to the IMF. As a senior adviser to the executive director in the IMF at that time, I have never been so embarrassed for my country.

At the executive board meeting on the subject, the minutes of which are unfortunately confidential but are available with me if Dr Ashfaque would like to do some more reading, all I could do was hang my head in shame as each executive director, all 23 of them (excluding our chair which presented a weak defence written by me), castigated Pakistan in the strongest possible terms for taking money from the IMF based on cooked up data.

The IMF staff which had led missions to Pakistan during the fudging period, the smart professionals who are the best in their field and can never be duped according to Dr Ashfaque, were especially shamed because they had been taken for a ride and were shown to be clueless. A burning issue dominated the meeting. Did the IMF staff know what was going on? If they did, they misled the IMF executive board, were complicit in the fudging, and should be dismissed. If they did not, they should be dismissed for incompetence.

At the end of a highly-charged five-hour meeting, it was the decision of the executive board to fine Pakistan millions of dollars and ask the money back they had taken from the IMF during the fudging period. This is a matter of record which I suggest Dr Ashfaque look up before lecturing me on how good our economic data is. One further point. This fudging went on during an IMF programme when scrutiny of data is at its most rigorous. Imagine the fun the previous government had when there was no IMF programme!

Dr Ashfaq quotes a long list of accomplishments of the government he served in, conveniently hiding everything behind averages. I believe he was the previous government’s spokesman. He certainly still speaks like one. In my article, I conceded that some good things were done. This is undeniable. But I, like many others, continue to harbour serious doubts about these so-called accomplishments. Take just one example. It is claimed that poverty was cut by a half in seven years. If the Musharraf government had continued for a few more years, poverty in Pakistan would have been eliminated altogether! Does Dr Ashfaque seriously expect me, or anyone else of sound mind, to believe this fantastic fabrication?

Dr Meekal Aziz Ahmed

Virginia, US

Stabilisation policy: ‘myth and reality’
By Dr Ali Cheema, November 24, 2008​

The best myths are found in the media about the Pakistani economy and are told by bankers, chartered accounts and finance specialists. Let me run through some of the myths.

Stabilisation is not needed. This means that there is no need to cut aggregate demand by tightening of monetary and fiscal policy. Instead, what is needed today is an expansionary monetary policy. This will benefit citizens because it will lead to economic growth. The so-called “ground reality” is that other countries in the region, essentially India and China, are opting for expansionary fiscal and monetary policies.

An expansionary monetary policy is not required because the recent inflationary episode was entirely caused by rising food and fuel prices. That is, bad luck and not bad policies of the previous regime were to blame. Now that these prices have and are coming down, we need not worry about inflation and, instead, need to position ourselves for economic growth. The government has adopted an IMF programme – all stabilisation measures such as removing utility subsidies and increasing interest rates have only been taken to please the IMF.

And no country has come out of an IMF programme successfully.

The first three myths are interesting in that they challenge the very need for macroeconomic stabilisation.

If it is true that recent economic deterioration was bad luck, reflecting rising international prices, and not bad policies of the previous regime, it must be the case that (a) Pakistan’s inflation rate increased after the 2007 global price hike and (b) the trend rise in inflation rate must be in line with India’s during the same period.

Figure 1 shows the increasing trend in annual inflation rate by 2006, well before the global price hike. Notice India’s trend rate, during the same period, does not show anywhere near the same increase and remains flat even after the global price inflation. More than bad luck is needed to explain worsening inflationary performance relative to India. Inflation as an economic problem is much more severe in Pakistan than in India. The two cases are not quite comparable!

What caused the much larger increase in relative inflation rate? The two factors responsible are increasing fiscal deficits (figure 2) and its consequence an expansionary monetary policy. The important thing to glean from the trend lines of growth and fiscal deficits (figure 2) is that Pakistan created massive budget deficits during a period of high growth. That is, its fiscal deficits were pro-cyclical and were overheating the economy at a time when aggregate demand was already exceedingly high.

The Indian experience is the reverse that of Pakistan’s (Figure 3). India, for the first time, cut fiscal deficits during a period of high growth. India’s fiscal deficits were counter cyclical, which allows them greater fiscal space to manoeuvre now! This reinforces the earlier point that the two cases are not quite comparable. It also suggests that Pakistan’s relatively higher inflation rate is due to bad policies of the previous regime and not bad luck!

Coming to consequences, rising aggregate demand, due to expansionary fiscal and monetary policies, and increasing inflation resulted in the appreciation of the exchange rate. The State Bank and the government chose to keep the nominal value of the rupee stable which exacerbated the rise in the real effective exchange rate. The appreciation of the real exchange rate meant that our exports were becoming price uncompetitive (figure 4) and imports were made affordable and attractive. The net effect of these policies was the creation of a galloping current account deficit (Figure 5). It is a myth that export performance was buoyant during the Musharraf era; in actual fact our export performance remained stagnant and deteriorated rapidly after 2006, well before the global price escalation (Figure 4). Notice that during the same period India significantly improved its export performance. Unlike Pakistan, India was able to secure maximum returns from vibrant global growth!

Similarly, galloping current account deficit had reached unsustainable levels of over four per cent of GDP by 2006 well before the global price hike. As opposed to this, India’s current account deficit, albeit rising, remains at a manageable level of around 1.5 per cent. This means that an unsustainable current account deficit is a legacy of the post-2005 Musharraf regime and was caused by its choice of expansionary policies.

So what is the reality and why is it so different from mythology? The reality is that Pakistan’s economy is saddled with crippling inflation, an unsustainable fiscal deficit and a severe balance of payments crisis. The Indian economy is not suffering from these crises and hence it is not facing the crisis of depleting reserves, a fragile currency, external trade defaults and the possibility of large-scale capital flight.

Coming back to the myths! Is it wise to run an expansionary monetary policy and not stabilise? “No” because it would result in an increasing divergence between Pakistan’s inflation rate and that of economies such as India. This would exacerbate the current account deficit and lead to a further loss of confidence in the rupee.

In turn, an unstable and depreciating rupee will fuel further inflation and will be bad for growth, equity and living standards. There is no trade-off between inflation and ‘sustainable’ growth!

It is time to worry about both a fall in inflation and a reduction in Pakistan’s inflation rate relative to its competitors. For this, we need to control the policy-induced component of inflation. As a result, in the short-run there is a need to curb aggregate demand through contractionary monetary and fiscal policies.

What can be discussed is whether macroeconomic adjustment should place a greater weight on fiscal rather than severe monetary contraction. Whatever the political choice, it is important that the tradeoffs are transparent and debated publicly.

Could the government have stabilised without IMF assistance? It could have in principle; however, given the state of the current account deficit, the cost of a stabilisation programme without foreign inflows would have been extremely high. The IMF programme gives this buffer.

Another myth is whether a country has come out of an IMF programme successfully? I am not sure what the answer to this is. What I do know is that India went through an IMF funded stabilisation programme in 1992, which proved to be the turning point for the Indian economy.

What forced India into the stabilisation in 1992? Its current account deficit had touched three per cent of GDP; its exports were falling; its external debt to GDP ratio reached a new peak; it was confronted with extremely high fiscal deficits and a sharp rise in oil prices following the Gulf War. Sounds familiar!

The stabilisation saw a sharp devaluation of 18 per cent in the value of the Indian rupee; a policy that allowed the exchange rate to adjust; fiscal cuts backs; and the adoption of other structural measures. The Indian economy bounced back after two years and has not looked back since.

However, what made India turnaround is not only stabilisation but structural reforms aimed at boosting the growth potential of the economy. It also benefited from access to foreign capital and expatriate capital and skills.

Like India in 1992, Pakistan needs to stabilise the economy in the short-run by curbing inflation and resolving the balance of payments crisis. There is no way around it. Furthermore, no matter which way you cut it, stabilisation is going to hurt. The policy debate is really about how to share the burden of adjustment and who should bear it: government or business; poor or rich; producer or consumer?

However, it must be realised that stabilisation is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for economic recovery and sustained poverty reduction. Other conditions include: successfully completing the stabilisation phase and avoiding a political spending bonanza; using this space to design and implement structural reforms that increase the growth potential of the economy; ensuring that programmatic loans taken from multi- and bi-laterals are well designed and will increase the economic growth rate.

The hard questions that we need to pose are about growth recovery measures and about policies and interventions that make growth inclusive and sustainable and not about the inherent need for stabilisation!

These measures and policies need to be home-grown. The government needs to draw a distinction between seeking IMF assistance for the stabilisation phase and developing its own programme for economic recovery and for poverty reduction and growth expenditures during stabilisation.

The government must make a substantial allocation for social protection and poverty alleviation. This is because we will see a large escalation in poverty as a result of a slowdown in growth and unemployment.

Dr Ali Cheema is an Associate Professor of Economics with a joint appointment in Political Science at the Lahore University of Management Sciences

Last edited:
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Dr Ashfaque H Khan

This article is written in response to Dr Meekal Aziz Ahmed’s comments (March 27) on my article ‘On economic growth’ (March 23). Dr Ahmed is back again, “defending the indefensible” ‘accomplished economists’. Like in the past, Dr Ahmed’s comments are full of verbosity, personal attacks and political in tone, but unfortunately lacking substance. My response is limited to the essence of his comments.

The main thesis of my article was that growth in developing countries including Pakistan would necessarily be consumption-led owing to the dominance of private consumption expenditure in GDP. There is, therefore, nothing wrong in consumption-led growth. If people don’t consume why should someone produce? The very act of consumption would encourage private sector to produce, invest and hence propel growth.

Dr Ahmed fully agrees with my main thesis and states that “there is nothing wrong with that. It is a welcome manifestation of a growing economy”. But hastily he changes his gear and enters into policy arena, particularly in the domain of monetary policy. He finds fault with the policy of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) regarding cutting the interest rate sharply and flooding the economy with cheap money which, he thinks, is responsible for the surge in private consumption and a source of other economic problems the country faced thereafter.

As the readers would see, Dr Ahmed dissociates himself from my main thesis and enters into a totally different territory. In so doing, he provided me an opportunity to dwell more on the subject and hence clear his misperception.

I had covered the time period from 1999-2000 to 2006-07 in my article. Dr Ahmed would agree that the type of policy to be pursued by the government would depend on the prevailing economic conditions in the country. So, what were the prevailing economic conditions in 1999-2000 and 2000-01?

It is a well-known fact that the economy of Pakistan had reached to an extremely fragile state by the end of the1990s. The economic growth averaged 2.8 per cent per annum, budget deficit and public debt averaged 6 per cent and 82 per cent of GDP, respectively and as such the annual debt servicing was consuming almost two-thirds of total revenues during the period. Inflation on the other hand, averaged 3.8 per cent.

How to revive economic growth under the circumstances was the greatest challenge faced by the then policymakers. The economic growth could have been revived either by pursuing an expansionary fiscal policy or easy monetary policy. The former was not an option because budget deficit was high and the country was facing serious debt crisis. The only option left was to pursue an easy monetary policy to kick-start the economy as inflation was under control (3.8 per cent). Accordingly, the SBP gradually started reducing the discount rate from as high as 14.0 per cent on June 7, 2001 to 7.5 per cent by November 18, 2002 in five periodic interventions. In other words, an easy monetary policy was pursued for a limited period of less than three years (until April 13, 2005) to revive economic growth. During the period of low interest rate the real private consumption expenditure grew at an average rate of 0.8 per cent per annum. While investment-to-GDP ratio remained stagnant at around 16.7 per cent, real GDP growth moved up to 4.7 per cent in 2002-03 owing to the existence of excess capacity in the economy.

The real private consumption expenditure grew by 10.1 per cent and 12.9 per cent in 2003-04 and 2004-05, respectively. In this period, investment rate also started rising sharply and economic growth surged to 7.5 per cent and 9.0 per cent, respectively with inflation moving upward to 9.3 per cent in 2004-05. What happened thereafter? Quite naturally, the SBP started tightening the monetary policy and the discount rate was raised to 9 per cent (an increase of 150 bps) on April 14, 2005 and further by 50 bps each on July 31, 2006 and August 1, 2007.

What was the outcome? The real private consumption growth decelerated to a mere 1.0 per cent in 2005-06 but improved to 4.7 per cent in 2006-07. Investment continued to maintain its upward movement with investment rate rising gradually to a peak of 22.5 per cent in 2006-07. With deceleration in private consumption growth, the real GDP growth also moderated to 5.8 per cent and 6.8 per cent, respectively. Both exports and imports continued to grow at high double-digit rates. Imports grew at a relatively faster pace than exports on account of price effect.

What is the morale of the story? Dr Ahmed agrees with my main thesis that growth in developing countries would necessarily be consumption-led. He then raised the issue of the domain of monetary policy. In answering his questions, I described the prevalent economic conditions during 1999/00-2000/01 and the policy options that were available. Given the prevailing conditions, the pursuance of an easy monetary policy was the only option available. The SBP pursued such a policy for a limited period of less than three years. This policy not only encouraged private sector to come forward but succeeded in reviving economic growth. Once growth accelerated, the SBP started tightening the monetary policy to check inflationary pressure. Both consumption and economic growth returned to moderation but investment continued to rise to meet the growing demand for goods and services.

Dr Ahmed may disagree on the degree of tightening of monetary policy but I am sure he would agree with the choice of instrument and the direction of policy. What happened in 2007-08 requires another article and I promise that I would write on the subject as I am the eye-witness. Suffice it to say that unprecedented surge in food and fuel prices, deterioration in security environment, and run-up to the election resulting in policy paralysis are the root causes of macroeconomic difficulties in 2007-08.

The writer is director general and dean at NUST Business School, Islamabad.

Email: ahkhan@nbs.edu.pk

I posted both earlier in the sticky thread on Musharraf and wasn't trying to portray just one side.

Both economists hold polarizing views on economic growth policy and Ashfaque Ahmed neglects all external factors like political instability and trade sanctions while analyzing the weak economic growth of the '90s. He completely forgets how bad were the effects of the Pressler Amendment, and that is in itself a crime for the US is our biggest export destination. The US quota on clothing imports allows Pakistan to export vast amounts of textile products compared to China and during the '90s when our biggest export destination was nearly blocked, it was difficult for the industry to survive. I'm not saying that political instability and incompetence were not problems just that Ashfaque Ahmed twists external factors and figures time and again to show his "awesome" performance. The superficial economic growth was questioned time and again in economic journals, especially around 2005. If I've got time on my hands, I'll post a couple of journal papers in this regard.

I posted both earlier in the sticky thread on Musharraf and wasn't trying to portray just one side.

Both economists hold polarizing views on economic growth policy and Ashfaque Ahmed neglects all external factors like political instability and trade sanctions while analyzing the weak economic growth of the '90s. He completely forgets how bad were the effects of the Pressler Amendment, and that is in itself a crime for the US is our biggest export destination. The US quota on clothing imports allows Pakistan to export vast amounts of textile products compared to China and during the '90s when our biggest export destination was nearly blocked, it was difficult for the industry to survive. I'm not saying that political instability and incompetence were not problems just that Ashfaque Ahmed twists external factors and figures time and again to show his "awesome" performance. The superficial economic growth was questioned time and again in economic journals, especially around 2005. If I've got time on my hands, I'll post a couple of journal papers in this regard.

Well, I am not saying that Mr. Ashfaque Ahmed is 100 percent right but it is nice to read articles to get to the exact conclusion. I have not concluded anything yet as I do not have enough facts to present my opinion at this time of point.

I will present my thoughts after reading both sides in detail.

Could you please enlighten me on how did the Pressler amendment effect the economy of Pakistan?

The purpose of the Pressler amendment was arms related it had nothing to do with the economic progress of the country!

The Pressler Amendment provides: No assistance shall be furnished to Pakistan and no military equipment or technology shall be sold or transferred to Pakistan, pursuant to the authorities contained in this Act or any other Act, unless the President shall have certified in writing to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate, during the fiscal year in which assistance is to be furnished or military equipment or technology is to be sold or transferred, that Pakistan does not possess a nuclr explosive device and that the proposed United States assistance program will reduce significantly the risk that Pakistan will possess a nuclear explosive device.
link

It was during the late 90s when the real economic sanctions came into existence after 1998.

Pakistanis deserve Zardaris and Shareefs! here the economist denying economic progress of the last decade is denying reports validated by IMF, WB and what not.

Last edited:
How did the Pressler amendment effect the economy of Pakistan? please enlighten me.

The purpose of the Pressler amendment was arms related it had nothing to do with the economic progress of the country!

US aid to Pakistan, both military and economic (development aid as they call it) was nearly shut down:-

For Pakistanis themselves, aid conditionality in U.S. congressional legislation can raise unpleasant memories of 1985’s Pressler Amendment, which led to a near-total aid cutoff in 1990.

1991-2000: But even while Pakistan was serving a strategic Cold War purpose, concerns persisted about the country's nuclear ambitions. That gave President George H.W. Bush an easy out from the massive funding commitments in 1990, after the fall of the Soviet Union. Aid over the next decade withered to $429 million in economic assistance and $5.2 million in military assistance, a drop-off Pakistanis still cite bitterly, accusing the United States of leaving them high and dry during the decade.

Sanctions imposed under the 1994 Glenn Amendment on non-nuclear weapon states that detonate nuclear explosions; triggered by the Pakistani nuclear tests of May 1998. The president has the authority to waive sanctions related to non-military activities under the Brownback II Amendment.

Status: Most of the restrictions under this provision on bilateral and multilateral economic assistance of various types remain in effect for Pakistan, notwithstanding the waiver authority granted by the Brownback Amendments.

Dependence of economic development on aid can be illustrated by the following figures:-

Per capita aid in 1964:- 69.03 USD
Per capita aid in 1980:- 37.61 USD
Per capita aid in 1997:- 4.639 USD
Per capita aid in 2002:- 17.77 USD

An old text highlighting the various kinds of sanctions:-

# Sanctions under the 1985 Pressler Amendment, banning military assistance to Pakistan, in the absence of an annual presidential determination that Pakistan "does not possess a nuclear explosive device." Waivable under Brownback Amendment II.

Status: These restrictions were triggered in 1990, when former President George H.W. Bush declined to make the necessary determination, and largely remain in force today. IMET and non-military aid were permitted in a 1996 modification to the Pressler Amendment. In addition, in 1996, under a one-time waiver of the provision, the Clinton administration approved the sale of $368 million worth of military hardware to Islamabad (but roughly $100 million in sales was never provided because of the controversy over China's transfer of "ring magnets" for Pakistan's uranium enrichment plant. See discussion of the Symington Amendment, below.) Although the original provisions of the Pressler Amendment for ending sanctions cannot be satisfied today, the president has the authority to waive the provision, at his discretion, under the Brownback Amendment II.

# Sanctions under the 1977 Symington Amendment, banning aid under the Foreign Assistance Act and the Arms Export Control Act to states that import uranium enrichment technology, unless the recipient agrees to place such equipment under IAEA inspection or the president waives the provision by certifying that he has "received reliable assurances that the country in question will not acquire or develop nuclear weapons...." Waivable under Brownback Amendment II.

Status: These restrictions remain in force. The ban was to have been lifted through the 1994 Glenn Amendment, which excused all Pakistani importation of uranium enrichment equipment prior to June 29, 1994, but the ring magnets case (shipments between December 1994 and mid-1995) was deemed to be a new instance of the importation of such equipment by Pakistan, and the Symington Amendment sanctions were triggered anew. The president, however, has the authority to waive the provision, at his discretion, under the Brownback Amendment II.

# Sanctions imposed under the Atomic Energy Act, prohibiting U.S. nuclear fuel and reactor transfers to non-nuclear weapon states, such as Pakistan, that have not accepted IAEA inspections on all of their nuclear facilities. Not waivable under Brownback Amendment II.

Status: These sanctions have been in effect since 1978, when the provision became part of U.S. law, and remain in force. As noted above, there is no immediate interest in the Bush administration in altering this fundamental rule of U.S. nuclear trade.

As for the trade barriers in textile, I went through the figures while reading US apparel importing quotas a couple of months back. Around '93 and in '96, our quotas received a severe setback owing to an increase in China and Taiwan's quotas. I'll scourge the internet for those figures. I'm unable to obtain them right now.

It was during the late 90s when the real economic sanctions came into existence after 1998.

And then we hit a jackpot of US aid, both military and non military.

US aid to Pakistan, both military and economic (development aid as they call it) was nearly shut down:-

Dependence of economic development on aid can be illustrated by the following figures:-

Per capita aid in 1964:- 69.03 USD

An old text highlighting the various kinds of sanctions:-

As for the trade barriers in textile, I went through the figures while reading US apparel importing quotas a couple of months back. Around '93 and in '96, our quotas received a severe setback owing to an increase in China and Taiwan's quotas. I'll scourge the internet for those figures. I'm unable to obtain them right now.

And then we hit a jackpot of US aid, both military and non military.

I find it quite humorous as to how conveniently you blamed the US Aid for the economic meltdown during the 90s which infact was caused by our political circus, instability and their incompetence beyond measure.

Further more, the quotations vindicate my POV as the amendment was purely arms related.

I find it quite humorous as to how conveniently you blamed the US Aid for the economic meltdown during the 90s which infact was caused by our political circus, instability and their incompetence beyond measure.
Read again, I pointed out that it was one of the factors but incompetence was indeed a big factor. I have always acknowledged that. Macroeconomic stability is highly dependent on political stability and a topsy turvy political ground spelt havoc for the national economy.

But it does not mean that the era that followed was based on a sound economic policy. I hold my views that it was a superficial, consumption led growth based on FDI and the production sector lagged far behind national growth. Major sectors like agriculture and textile not only faced severe challenges, their roles were downright neglected. Consumer financing became the key to artificial growth and spelt havoc for the lower middle classes. Inflation was artificially reduced my providing unusually high subsidies and hidden behind many other faces. An extremely weak monetary policy and a weak SBP allowed a banking cartel to form that has increased interest rates beyond imagination, leading to a decline in small business investment. Banks have such a monopoly that even in this time of international and domestic crises, they had an average 24 percent increase in profits from the previous years. KSE received huge investment while the production sector lagged behind, a dichotomy in itself. The seeds as many have said, were sown far earlier.

In September, we'll see in the annual FY reports whether the market was flooded with money in late '07 to hide inflation or not as well.

Further more, the quotations vindicate my POV as the amendment was purely arms related.

Economic (non-military) aid had come to a halt. All quotations support that view.

This says it all:-

Aid dependence is downright wrong but the PSDP has since time immemorial been dependent on a big chunk of foreign aid.

But it does not mean that the era that followed was based on a sound economic policy. I hold my views that it was a superficial, consumption led growth based on FDI and the production sector lagged far behind national growth. Major sectors like agriculture and textile not only faced severe challenges, their roles were downright neglected.

Consumer financing became the key to artificial growth and spelt havoc for the lower middle classes. Inflation was artificially reduced my providing unusually high subsidies and hidden behind many other faces. An extremely weak monetary policy and a weak SBP allowed a banking cartel to form that has increased interest rates beyond imagination, leading to a decline in small business investment. Banks have such a monopoly that even in this time of international and domestic crises, they had an average 24 percent increase in profits from the previous years. KSE received huge investment while the production sector lagged behind, a dichotomy in itself. The seeds as many have said, were sown far earlier.

I completely disagree with your assessment. Textile exports in 1999 stood at $5.2 billion and rose to become $10.5 billion by 2007.
Manufacturing sector has experienced double-digit growth in recent years, from 2000 to 2007, with large-scale manufacturing growing from a minimal 1.5% in 1999 to a record 19.9% in 2004-05 and averaged 8.8% by end of 2007.

Economic (non-military) aid had come to a halt. All quotations support that view.

This says it all:-

Aid dependence is downright wrong but the PSDP has since time immemorial been dependent on a big chunk of foreign aid.

Indeed, the US economic aid did come to a halt on limited scale. However, US was not the only aid/donor to our cause as it is well known who else supported us during those times. Aid alone cannot spur growth.

The purpose of my post was to object on how you drew to a conclusion that Pressler amendent was the cause of our own demise while as clearly that was not the case.

It is pretty simple, the incompetence of our economists and political leadership of that time failed to market Pakistan in a functional manner while others did.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom