What's new

Cyprus has allowed Russia to use airbase near Paphos

vostok

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
1389698157_2283182.jpg

Cypriot authorities allowed the Russian military to use airbase "Andreas Papandreou" near the town of Paphos. This writes the Cyprus Weekly. Cyprus is also allowed to place Russian naval ships in the port of Limassol.
Notes that the first air base will use the Russian Emergencies Ministry aircraft, military aircraft is not yet allowed to use stocks materiel airbase.
The use airbase near Paphos and Limassol port for the Russian Defense Ministry were discussed during negotiations in Moscow in May and June 2013 the defense and foreign ministers of Russia and Cyprus.

An EU country, allowing Russian military on it's soil. It's like a joke. :)

Mate , that history belongs to Greeks and Turks. We have no quarells with Russians. It's EU's problems that Russia is now on their land, not our problem.

I was referring to the old military history of the region.

Russia has tussled with Turkey since the time of Ottomans. one of the major factors for Turkish decision to join WW-1 was to face off Russia with the help of Prussia

Fast forward to 1960s.

During cuban missile crisis, Russia objected and got USA to remove missiles from Turkey

So I hope this clarifies.

Uh well, there was no Russian bailout, Russians even refused to compensate their oligarchs who lost their money in that money laundry facility called Cypriot banking system.

btw, this might be just paying back for the loan they took in 2011 from Russia, 4 bill.$ if i recall correctly. Since they obviously can't pay in cash or goods.

#edit, found details that dirty commie agitator left out:

Russian aircrafts of various types to land at the Cyprian air base but only in emergency situations and for humanitarian reasons. At the same time, the Russian air force won’t be allowed to use warehouses of the Andreas Papandreou airbase.

Cyprus allows Russian aircrafts to use airbase near Paphos – media - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

During cuban missile crisis, Russia objected and got USA to remove missiles from Turkey

This had nothing to do with Turkey.

Last edited:
Uh well, there was no Russian bailout, Russians even refused to compensate their oligarchs who lost their money in that money laundry facility called Cypriot banking system.

Yes, but something must be happened behind the scene.... and the bolded part maybe the answer.

The use airbase near Paphos and Limassol port for the Russian Defense Ministry were discussed during negotiations in Moscow in May and June 2013 the defense and foreign ministers of Russia and Cyprus.

For using Cypriot's Airbases and ports, Russians must have gave something.....

EU should bailout Cyprus.

10 bill. € last year and a guarantee that savers with less then 100.000 € deposited won't loose a cent.

A short summary of the drama that was happening before this bail out was made public

But after a week of brinkmanship—including protests by Cypriots, the extended closure of banks to avoid the outrush of money, a failed attempt by Cyprus to throw itself at Russia’s feet, an ultimatum by the European Central Bank and an eleventh-hour threat by Cyprus to leave the euro zone—a different decision was made: to apply the pain much more intensely, but on a smaller number of large depositors.

The Cyprus bail-out: A better deal, but still painful | The Economist

Russia has guts. Ukraine and Georgia, both countries are keen on to join the Northern Star a.k.a NATO, They have borderlines with Russia at critical locations, they allowed the use of their airspace, air bases by NATO elements. Russia is really concerned about this issue. I consider this act of Russia as their response to potentional presence of US&NATO forces in Ukraine, Georgia...my2cents

Russia has guts. Ukraine and Georgia, both countries are keen on to join the Northern Star a.k.a NATO, They have borderlines with Russia at critical locations, they allowed the use of their airspace, air bases by NATO elements. Russia is really concerned about this issue. I consider this act of Russia as their response to potentional presence of US&NATO forces in Ukraine, Georgia...my2cents

if you knew the magnitude of russian civil defence capabiities you would understand well.

Back
Top Bottom