What's new

Chinese Smartphone Company Official Arrested For Fraud Of ₹ 19 Crore

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Thane, Maharashtra:
The Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Commissionerate of Mumbai Zone on Wednesday arrested a senior official of a Chinese smartphone maker in Maharashtra's Thane district for allegedly fraudulently availing input tax credit (ITC) worth ₹ 19 crore through fake invoices.

Manager of Finance and Accounts division of Oppo Mobiles India Private Limited, Mahendra Kumar Rawat, was arrested in Bhiwandi town and later produced in a local court, which remanded him in judicial custody till April 3, the CGST Bhiwandi Commissionerate said in statement.

Based on material evidence gathered during the investigation, he was arrested under section 69 of the CGST Act, 2017 for contravention of section 132 of the same Act.

The investigation carried out by the anti-evasion wing of the CGST Bhiwandi Commissionerate revealed that Oppo Maharashtra was involved in availment of fake ITC without receipt of any goods, the statement said.

"The supplier of Oppo Mobiles India Pvt ltd, M/S Gain Hero India Private Limited, was found to be non-existent at its principal place of business. In this connection, 16 e-way bills for the said transaction were verified and found to be fake. Further, statements of the transporters and vehicle owner were recorded, wherein it was revealed that there was no supply of goods to Oppo Maharashtra," it said.

Mahendra Kumar Rawat, authorized signatory and Manager Finance and Accounts of Oppo Mobiles India Private Limited, is the main person who has played a key role in availing of the said fraudulent ITC amounting to ₹ 19,27,54,093 against the invoices amounting to ₹ 107,08,56,072 issued by Gain Hero India Private Limited, without receipt of the goods, it added.

The accused has admitted in his statement that the e-way bills generated are fake, the CGST Commissionerate said.

This case is part of the special drive launched by the CGST Mumbai Zone against tax fraudsters and tax evaders. CGST Bhiwandi Commissionerate has arrested 24 persons in the last 18 months itself, said Sumit Kumar, Commissioner, Central GST Bhiwandi.

Please kill all investment of China companies. Thanks.

Please kill all investment of China companies. Thanks.
We no longer need Chinese smartphone companies, Chinese smartphone companies have outlived their India's need. Apple+Samsung+Domestic companies can handle the smartphone segment now. Bring investment in other critical technologies like EV, Li-ion Battery, Semiconductors etc otherwise shod off. We use Chinese companies as a stop gap measure, not to oil them forever. My suggestion to the Chinese government is to bring something on the table that the world can't replace like Google, Internet, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Advanced Semiconductor etc or stop dreaming about overtaking the US.

I hope all the Chinese companies that invest in India go bankrupt

We no longer need Chinese smartphone companies, Chinese smartphone companies have outlived their India's need. Apple+Samsung+Domestic companies can handle the smartphone segment now. Bring investment in other critical technologies like EV, Li-ion Battery, Semiconductors etc otherwise shod off. We use Chinese companies as a stop gap measure, not to oil them forever. My suggestion to the Chinese government is to bring something on the table that the world can't replace like Google, Internet, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Advanced Semiconductor etc or stop dreaming about overtaking the US.
Not trying to sound rude but think realistically. 90% of India lives below poverty line where the country of manufacturing of a product is hardly matters for people trying to survive on a daily basis. If you cut trade with China Indians will suffer the most, our local industry is kinda non existent or relies heavily on spares or components from China. Also major reason for sourcing things from China is that it's cheap. India cannot afford western made products.
Among the non Chinese oem with offerings in lower price range you just have Samsung who try a bit in that range due to competition from Chinese oems. It was Chinese companies like xiaomi and others which revolutionised vfm offerings in the first place, before that we had crappy karbonns and stuff which were just assembled in India with chinese components and no R and D.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound rude but think realistically. 90% of India lives below poverty line where the country of manufacturing of a product is hardly matters for people trying to survive on a daily basis. If you cut trade with China Indians will suffer the most, our local industry is kinda non existent or relies heavily on spares or components from China. Also major reason for sourcing things from China is that it's cheap. India cannot afford western made products.
Among the non Chinese oem with offerings in lower price range you just have Samsung who try a bit in that range due to competition from Chinese oems. It was Chinese companies like xiaomi and others which revolutionased vfm offerings in the first place, before that we had crappy karbonns and stuff which were just assembled in India with chinese components and no R and D.
I don't have any problem with sourcing materials or products but there shouldn't be any established Chinese company in Indian market. Chinese should be reduced to what they are known for, source of cheap products. There is a difference between products/materials and companies. The later shouldn't be allowed to flourish. Xiaomi has outlived its need, it doesn't offer value for money or cheap smartphones anymore. Samsung itself is offering better product at Xiaomi's price, a coup on Xiaomi is on the cards as West did on Huawei.

We no longer need Chinese smartphone companies, Chinese smartphone companies have outlived their India's need. Apple+Samsung+Domestic companies can handle the smartphone segment now
Smartphone Market Share in India (Mar 2023)
Did you know that Xioami has been leading India’s smartphone manufacturer market in 2022? The brand is followed by Samsung and Vivo. Xioami currently has a 26.01% annual market share, while Samsung has 17.17% and Vivo has 15.71%.
微信图片_20230325012913.png

微信图片_20230325013012.png

I don't have any problem with sourcing materials or products but there shouldn't be any established Chinese company in Indian market. Chinese should be reduced to what they are known for, source of cheap products. There is a difference between products/materials and companies. The later shouldn't be allowed to flourish. Xiaomi has outlived its need, it doesn't offer value for money or cheap smartphones anymore. Samsung itself is offering better product at Xiaomi's price, a coup on Xiaomi is on the cards as West did on Huawei.
I don't agree with this
China has it's share of good products. I won't advocate banning global trade from a nation due to hyper nationalism. I'm currently using a amazfirt gtr 2e (got it for like 8k) it's pretty good.
Same for many other higher end Chinese products.
West and China is engaged in a trade war, West especially US is scared as China is finally on a level where they can directly compete, the best course of action for India is to keep on being engaged in a multi polar world.

I don't agree with this
China has it's share of good products. I won't advocate banning global trade from a nation due to hyper nationalism. I'm currently using a amazfirt gtr 2e (got it for like 8k) it's pretty good.
Same for many other higher end Chinese products.
West and China is engaged in a trade war, West especially US is scared as China is finally on a level where they can directly compete, the best course of action for India is to keep on being engaged in a multi polar world.
I am not saying that Chinese value for money products shouldn't be allowed. I am saying that don't let them create brands in India. Letting them create brands will be very costly for India.

Smartphone Market Share in India (Mar 2023)
Did you know that Xioami has been leading India’s smartphone manufacturer market in 2022? The brand is followed by Samsung and Vivo. Xioami currently has a 26.01% annual market share, while Samsung has 17.17% and Vivo has 15.71%.
View attachment 921899
View attachment 921900
This is old. Xiaomi is now in 3rd position in February.

More accounting transparency should be enforced on foreign business operating in India.

Source? what I posted data is the latest.

In 4th quarter of 2022 itself. BTW in value terms, Samsung India is double of Xiaomi.

In 4th quarter of 2022 itself. BTW in value terms, Samsung India is double of Xiaomi.
Just one quarter? not just one month? besides, Xiaomi is just one brand operating in India, we are talking about Chinese phones, not Xiaomi, what about all Chinese phones all together in India? still a negligible share?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom