What's new

Chinese must stand up for Nobel Peace Prize

aimarraul

Reaction score
Chinese must stand up for Nobel Peace Prize

* Source: Global Times
* [02:31 March 12 2010]
* Comments

With the publicizing of this year's nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize, it is clear that some Westerners are launching a new round of political game for exerting pressure on China.

A few among the 237 names proposed are Chinese, according to a recent Western wire service report. And these include Liu Xiaobo, Hu Jia and Rebiya Kadeer, who are radicals or separatists long opposed to the Chinese government.

It is not the first time that anti- Chinese government activists are being publicly proposed for the coveted award. Under the rules, nominations are not made public by the Norwegian Nobel Committee until years later. There are publicity-seeking individuals and organizations that circulate names of nominees. The names circulated in that wire service report appear to needle China.

There is something else that deserves attention.

When some Westerners attempt to hijack the Nobel Peace Prize as an anti-China platform, the credibility of the prestigious prize – supposed to award those who "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses" according to Alfred Nobel's will – would be inevitably eroded.

This explains the urgency for Chinese across the world to stand up on the Nobel Peace Prize issue against these motivated Westerners.

There are many who have dedicated themselves to sustainable development in China in the past three decades. But only those opposed to China have been picked for being publicized. Is it because anti-China organizations are too powerful? Or, is it because those who truly know China are not willing to fight back?

Firm and swift action must be taken by the global Chinese majority to condemn those who try to manipulate the Nobel Peace Prize to discredit China.

Freedom of expression and respect for human rights are universal values treasured by Chinese.

In the tireless support for anti-China radicals and separatists by a small section of Westerners, however, nothing is more evident than their disrespect for Chinese people and their total negation of China's unique way toward prosperity and democracy.

It is for history to judge whether China has chosen the right path. And, it is only Chinese society that can judge whether what Liu Xiaobo and other radicals and separatists have done is intended to promote intellectual diversity in China, or to challenge China's Constitution and public order in the name of intellectual diversity.

Credible channels are needed to nominate more deserving candidates in the interests of the Chinese majority and with due regard for the objectives of the Nobel Peace Prize. Only then can Chinese seize the initiative in the matter.

There is also a strong case for the Chinese who are eligible to make nominations to come forward and do so.

The worldwide reputation of the Nobel Peace Prize imposes a certain responsibility. It is the sincere hope of Chinese that the eminent committee would stick to the principle of fairness and not be swayed by the ideology of radicals or some anti-China Western organizations.

Making the right choice – this is a noble responsibility of every member of the Norwegian Nobel Committee.

I think its all a case of publicity and marketing. If the Chinese think that there are people more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize other than the radicals propped up by the West, they should publicize such people. And with China's growing global cultural and economic influence it shouldn't be hard for them to push their case provided they do it right and through the right channels. Its all a matter of spin.

I think its all a case of publicity and marketing. If the Chinese think that there are people more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize other than the radicals propped up by the West, they should publicize such people. And with China's growing global cultural and economic influence it shouldn't be hard for them to push their case provided they do it right and through the right channels. Its all a matter of spin.

Precisely.

It's for the Nobel committee - a Norwegian-based Western outfit to judge who is fit for the Nobel Political Price.

If they could give the Political Prize to Obama for pre-emptive peace, and to Dalai Lama for being born holy (albeit humble), then why not Liu Xiaobo?

I quite like Liu and I am taken by his sincerity and courage - if only from a distance.

Well someone else who's not happy with his name can propose a prize for the Methodist priest who petitioned on behalf of the islanders who were ethnically cleansed from Diego Garcia and neighboring islands to make way for Amrika's super carrier on the Indian Ocean ...

:coffee:

Precisely.

It's for the Nobel committee - a Norwegian-based Western outfit to judge who is fit for the Nobel Political Price.

If they could give the Political Prize to Obama for pre-emptive peace, and to Dalai Lama for being born holy (albeit humble), then why not Liu Xiaobo?

I quite like Liu and I am taken by his sincerity and courage - if only from a distance.

Well someone else who's not happy with his name can propose a prize for the Methodist priest who petitioned on behalf of the islanders who were ethnically cleansed from Diego Garcia and neighboring islands to make way for Amrika's super carrier on the Indian Ocean ...

:coffee:

Obama being awarded was the biggest joke ever. And to rub mud on the committee's faces he promptly launched another Afghan thrust! So much for desiring peace.

I am going to read about Liu. Do you know the name of that methodist priest? Let me know if you can dig it up.

Nobel Peace Prize is just a farce.
Obama get the prize and then send more troops to Afghanistan. I really want to ask the Nobel Committee what "Peace" means

Nobel prizes in general are complete jokes.

Yuan Longping should have by all measures of the Nobel Prize, gotten the Nobel Prize. His work was both theoretically and practically groundbreaking at the time in the production of hybrid plants.

Instead the Nobel Prize goes to terrorist bosses and warlords.

The peace prize is subjective to more outside influence but I think Nobel prizes awarded in hard sciences are still quite credible and commendable

The peace prize is subjective to more outside influence but I think Nobel prizes awarded in hard sciences are still quite credible and commendable

Doesn't matter though. The nobel is just a name. Some countries that produced Nobel winners can't even feed themselves, like Nigeria.

Back
Top Bottom