What's new

China to develop all round strategic partnership with India'

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
Allaying concern over the massive rise of its defence budget,China today said it is "firm" to develop "all round strategicpartnership" with India, as its media asserted that Beijing will increase military spending taking it close to that of the US.

"We pay attention to developing good neighbourly and all round strategic partnership with India. We are firm in this regard," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters.

Qin was replying to question about concern in India over China's $ 132 billion defence budget for 2014, a 12.2 % rise from last year.

"The signal we have sent to our friendly neighbour India is peace and win-win cooperation," he said.

Qin said China appreciated India's condemnation of the knife attacks by militants at Kunming railway station in which 33 people, including four attackers, were killed.

"India has conveyed its condolence through diplomatic channels and we appreciate that," he said, adding China also expressed sympathy when Mumbaiterror took place in 2008.

"We would like to enhance cooperation with the region and world at large to combat terrorism," he said.

Hailing the double digit increase of China's defence budget, Chinese official media said the aim should be to come close to US defence budget which is well over $ 600 billion.

"China will not stop increasing its military spending. It is believed the best scale for it in the long run is keeping it at half or two-thirds of that of the US," state-run Global Times said in its editorial.

About neighbours it said, "China's annual defence budget has exceeded neighbouring countries. But China is playing a globally strategic role. There is no comparison between China and small countries who cannot be the benchmark for China's defence budget."

"China has territorial disputes with other countries externally and faces separatism on its border regions. The strategic plot behind the possible manipulation of outside forces on these issues often makes us feel uneasy," it said.

In its editorial, another official newspaper the China Daily said the current increase is both imperative and legitimate, because China now has broader interests to defend.

"Outsider worries about Chinese military spending are also redundant because this country remains faithful to its strategy of self-defence. Some Western narratives about the disputes in the East and South China seas are unfair in that they put China in a bully's role. Which is completely against the truth," it said.

"As long as we do not interfere in others' domestic affairs, as long as we do not covet others' territories, as long as we commit our military capabilities to safeguarding peace, as long as we can afford it, we have the right to spend as much as necessary," it said.

'China to develop all round strategic partnership with India' | Business Standard

China is facing a rising Russia in the North and a resurgent Japan in the East. Vietnam, Philippines are also not very friendly. The Taiwan issue still lingers. Uighurs have started their obvious and long awaited terror attacks. So yes, China is in a difficult situation. Then again I have always admired Chinese foreign policy makers. They don't look for enemies, only opportunities. With a possible Modi Govt in the near future, the prospects of a strong India-China block is very bright.

But this is a welcome development. If India and China can improve their strategic cooperation in a major way - it will be good for all of Asia. China will breathe easy at least in the South West, and we in the North East. We have a lot to learn from China, and I hope they from us. :partay: :smitten:

@Chinese-Dragon @Indischer @kurup @jaibi @FaujHistorian @levina @Hermione @INDIC and others. Please call the others - am on phone :unsure:

Most likely empty words coming from China ..... :angel:

India, China joint military exercise in October

images

India and China will have their next joint military exercise at Barrackpore, near Kolkata, 10 days after Durga Puja in October.

This will be the second time the Sino-Indian exercise named “Hand-in-Hand” will take place in India. The first one was held at Belgaum in November 2008.

Two editions of the exercise took place in China — Kunming in 2007 and Chengdu in 2013 — as well.

The last edition at Chengdu involved about 160 personnel of 16 Sikh Light Infantry of the Indian Army and similar strength of 1st Battalion Infantry Division of 13 group of the People’s Liberation Army.
In the Barrackpore war drill, close to 175 troops are expected to participate from the Indian side, under the aegis of the Eastern Command, sources told Deccan Herald.

The exercise will be held under a new Army Chief would as the term of the incumbent Gen Bikram Singh ends in July.

The war game with China will be preceded by two infantry exercises with the US and Russia in September.

The exercise with the US, named ‘Yudh Abhyas’ will take place at Chaubatiya near Ranikhet in Uttarakhand, whereas the ‘Indra’ exercise with Russia will be held in Russia. Over the next eight months, the Indian Army will have joint exercises with several countries from central and south Asia. Some of these exercises involve special forces from both countries while others will be infantry exercises.

As many as six exercises will take place on Indian soil, while Indian troops will travel to Maldives, Thailand, Bangladesh, Russia, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Kyrgystan for seven mock war drills.

The venue of the ‘Agni’ warrior exercise with Singapore is yet to be decided.

India, China joint military exercise in October | idrw.org

Relations are fine, but we should remain extremely cautious about their real intentions, we should never put down our guards.

Most likely empty words coming from China ..... :angel:
Relations are fine, but we should remain extremely cautious about their real intentions, we should never put down our guards.

Yeah I second that.

@SarthakGanguly I think such talks only look innocuous from outside and the Chinese promises have been only superficial..time and again it has been proved.We have a competitor in China.
But yes we can maintain a good economic relationship with them but nothing more than that.We should not expect their support and should not get dependent on them.(like the American economy)
India, China joint military exercise in October

images

India and China will have their next joint military exercise at Barrackpore, near Kolkata, 10 days after Durga Puja in October.

This will be the second time the Sino-Indian exercise named “Hand-in-Hand” will take place in India. The first one was held at Belgaum in November 2008.

Two editions of the exercise took place in China — Kunming in 2007 and Chengdu in 2013 — as well.

The last edition at Chengdu involved about 160 personnel of 16 Sikh Light Infantry of the Indian Army and similar strength of 1st Battalion Infantry Division of 13 group of the People’s Liberation Army.
In the Barrackpore war drill, close to 175 troops are expected to participate from the Indian side, under the aegis of the Eastern Command, sources told Deccan Herald.

The exercise will be held under a new Army Chief would as the term of the incumbent Gen Bikram Singh ends in July.

The war game with China will be preceded by two infantry exercises with the US and Russia in September.

The exercise with the US, named ‘Yudh Abhyas’ will take place at Chaubatiya near Ranikhet in Uttarakhand, whereas the ‘Indra’ exercise with Russia will be held in Russia. Over the next eight months, the Indian Army will have joint exercises with several countries from central and south Asia. Some of these exercises involve special forces from both countries while others will be infantry exercises.

As many as six exercises will take place on Indian soil, while Indian troops will travel to Maldives, Thailand, Bangladesh, Russia, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Kyrgystan for seven mock war drills.

The venue of the ‘Agni’ warrior exercise with Singapore is yet to be decided.

India, China joint military exercise in October | idrw.org

I am surprised.....or shocked.
I cant express it really....feels like Alexithymia.
India needs such military exercises...no doubt.
They've the largest standing army right now and their way of operating is a lot different than our army.
I hope these military exercises puts our army at par with US,Russian and Chinese armies.

Last edited:
Yeah I second that.

@SarthakGanguly I think such talks only look innocuous from outside and the Chinese promises have been only superficial..time and again it has been proved.We have a competitor in China.
But yes we can maintain a good economic relationship with them but nothing more than that.We should not expect their support and should not get dependent on them.(like the American economy)

I am surprised.....or shocked.
I cant express it really....feels like Alexithymia.
India needs such military exercises...no doubt.
They've the largest standing army right now and their way of operating is a lot different than our army.
I hope these military exercises put our army at par with US,Russian and Chinese armies.
True. China is growing. So are we. That rules out friendship. But if it's beneficial for both of us - a greater cooperation is fine :agree:

The Paksitani angle would state more about Sino-India relationship, as far as I can see, China would not risk loosing Pakistan as it has few allies like her. However, I do believe that Sino-India would do best to close the gap, especially as Russian divide from the West is being furthered by the Russian handling of the Ukraine crisis and China not stepping in. So let's see how the Asian giants go.

Back
Top Bottom