What's new

China Bars Turkic Uighur Scholar From Traveling to the US.

Gandalf

BANNED
Reaction score
China Bars Uighur Scholar From Traveling to the US.
By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN Associated Press
BEIJING February 3, 2013 (AP)

A prominent scholar from China's Turkic Uighur ethnic minority said Sunday he was detained for more than 12 hours at Beijing's airport and then sent home when attempting to board a flight to the U.S., the latest in a series of apparent punishments in retaliation for his criticism of ruling Communist Party policies.

Ilham Tohti said he was planning to take up a year-long fellowship at Indiana University when he was prevented from leaving the country on Saturday. He said he was interrogated from 8:45 a.m. until after 9:00 p.m. by three separate groups of officers, none of whom gave him any reason why he was being detained.

For the first 10 hours, officers refused to allow him to use the bathroom or provide food and water, Tohti said in an interview. However, they did allow his 18-year-old daughter, who was traveling with him, to board their flight, a move Tohti said was likely an oversight on behalf of the policewoman in charge.

"They had no reason to doubt me, no reason to detain, no reason to deprive a lawful citizen of his right to travel," Tohti said. "I strongly condemn their brutal, barbaric behavior and will continue to pursue my right to travel."

Police and customs agents at the airport said they had no information about the case.

A Beijing-based economist, Tohti has been barred from traveling and placed under house arrest numerous times in the wake of deadly ethnic rioting in the capital of the Uighur ethnic homeland of Xinjiang in 2009 that sparked a nationwide crackdown on Uighur activists.

Muslim Uighurs, who are ethnically, culturally, religiously, and linguistically distinct from China's Han majority, have long chafed under heavy-handed communist rule. Many Uighurs allege frequent discrimination, including travel restrictions and an inability to obtain passports, and also resent the presence and relative prosperity of Han migrants who have flooded into Xinjiang since the Communist revolution in 1949.

While Tohti has not joined in calls for Xinjiang's independence, his outspokenness on ethnic policies has made him a target of the security services. In addition to travel restrictions, Ministry of Public Security special agents confiscated his six-year-old son's residency permit, making it impossible to register him for elementary school, he said.

"My family is coming under heavier pressure all the time," Tohti said. "I really don't wish to stay in this country a minute more."

China Bars Uighur Scholar From Traveling to the US - ABC News

OP doesn't even know that plenty of people in the U.S. are being silenced, threatened, fired from jobs, jailed and in some cases even killed for telling the truth.

Secondly, do you REALLY think that Washington cares one bit about Muslim Turkic people in China? :D The West hates Muslims; they are committing genocide in the Islamic world and are plundering our (natural) resources. The West is the number one enemy of the Muslim world, not China, trust me. Don't be so incredibly stupid and naive; the West doesn't care about democracy, human lives and freedom, never did and never will.

OP doesn't even know that plenty of people in the U.S. are being silenced, threatened, fired from jobs, jailed and in some cases even killed for telling the truth.

Secondly, do you REALLY think that Washington cares one bit about Muslim Turkic people in China? :D The West hates Muslims; they are committing genocide in the Islamic world and are plundering our (natural) resources. The West is the number one enemy of the Muslim world, not China, trust me. Don't be so incredibly stupid and naive; the West doesn't care about democracy, human lives and freedom, never did and never will.

Fair enough, the west has more chance to exploit the Muslim world because the west has more power than China.
But once China is powerful enough, you will get more exploits of Muslims from China.

the west has no chance to exploit the Muslim world because the west has more power than China.
Please clarify how the Muslim world is not being exploited and plundered by the West?

As for your claim that "when China becomes more powerful, they will do the same".. that is just a claim, we don't know. We will have to wait and see. If they ever did, I would criticize China too. I have no love for anyone; not even my own country when it comes to supporting justice and truth, as well as opposing injustice and crimes.

And you say all this sitting in the west ? Hmmm...

Wait until other parts of India vote majority for partition than you will admire and cherish the advantage of your democracy.

i am actually waiting for tibet.

Democracy is BS. What matters is your interest!

Rapid Hardcore Industrialization is the only way to achieve that in the Modern World.

ya,that is where centralised government is better.accepted.

I love the way China control their internal problem, Here in India we let them breed, let them do anything. Better to have China government system rather then Indian fake democracy.

Many Uighurs allege frequent discrimination, including travel restrictions and an inability to obtain passports,

Minorities gets unequal treatment in many part of the world. At least there is no news of frequent violence.

Its Chinese matter, their internal matter.

FBI arrests Malcolm X grandson en route to Iran

The grandson of the late African-American civil rights leader Malcolm X has been arrested by FBI agents on his way to Iran, Press TV reports.

Muslim civil activist Malcolm Shabazz was reportedly arrested before starting his scheduled visit to Tehran to attend a conference on Hollywoodism, sources outside the United States confirmed on Monday.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has refused to provide any information about his whereabouts.

Tehran hosted the third Hollywoodism International Conference, on the sidelines of the 31st Fajr International Film Festival in the Iranian capital Tehran on Sunday.

Many filmmakers, directors, actors, and movie critics as well as politicians and economists took part in the conference.

Mike Gravel, a former US Senator who attended the conference, condemned Hollywood’s role in imposing imperialistic views on the people of the world.

“Hollywood is just a tool of the American government and European governments to pursue their imperialistic views whether it is in economy...culture…or religion,” Gravel stated.

The first Hollywoodism and Cinema Conference was held in Iran in 2011.

PressTV - FBI arrests Malcolm X grandson en route to Iran

Back
Top Bottom