What's new

CCP backed Pop Singer debuts in the US in soft power drive

Korean

BANNED
Reaction score
Pop Singer Ruhan Jia Groomed by China for Global Stardom - Businessweek

Pop Singer Ruhan Jia Groomed by China for Global Stardom

“Time to Grow” was produced in Sweden and mixed by Bernard Lohr, who has worked with Celine Dion and Il Divo. A British record company is distributing it. Jia’s manager is a woman from Taiwan who has lived in the U.S. and Europe for years. Jia’s recording contract is with the biggest music company in China.

Her career has the backing of the Chinese government, which desperately wants an officially approved artist to gain the kind of worldwide attention its dissidents usually get.

“Time to Grow” is the first release from China’s Earth’s Music project, which is part of the government’s five-year national economic development plan.

“The government definitely wants to be No. 1 in everything,” says Zang from the front seat of the SUV. “But to find artists who fit in, who speak English, there’s not too many to choose from. Then we heard Ruhan’s song. We hadn’t heard this kind of singing before.”

That same year, Chinese President Hu Jintao made a speech about promoting Chinese culture at home and abroad.

The concept of soft power was popularized in the late 1980s by Harvard professor Joseph Nye. Today, as China confronts Japan over disputed islands in the East China Sea and squabbles with other countries over uninhabited islands in the South China Sea, Nye says Beijing is especially aware of the need to win friends.

“How do you prevent your neighbors from forming coalitions against you?” he says. “By appearing to be a popular culture and an attractive place.”

China lags behind much smaller countries such as South Korea as a cultural force because of its lack of liberty
, says Ting Wai, a professor at Hong Kong Baptist University who studies Chinese soft power.

The CCP backed pop is here, except that it is doomed to fail.

Heck, the communist party's Luhan is a nobody in China, where the only known "Luhan" is EXO-M's Luhan.

Last edited by a moderator:
her overseas career ended with "CCP backed"

Well, she's nobody in China. The only "Luhan" that the Chinese public know is the member of idol team EXO-M, which sings Mandarin version of K-pop songs in China.

oe9uc.jpg

reminded me of Gangnam style :P
Well, PSY would have never taken off in the US if he was a Chinese singer, because the CCP would have pulled the plug on his career for singing outrageous stuff for 10 years.

It's the creative freedom that makes one a soft powerhouse, not the CCP seal of approval and financial backing. Because no amount of money could market communist party propaganda songs in the West.

PSY hit song was bit similar to the song 'who let the dogs out'.... not totaly but bit similar.... Thats what it sounds like....

@korean its a great song.... It forces body to move and dance.... i hope many more hit songs this band will produce. just half hour ago i heard it on FM radio. Indians love this song and so do i....

I am watching gangnam style almost everyday for last 10 days. Never got bored.

While Chinese music in all form, both government supported and privately financed, won't go anywhere outside of China, you should watch out for Thai-Pop. They have the potential to be the competitor to K-pop in 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
While Chinese music in all form, both government supported and privately financed, won't go anywhere outside of China, you should watch out for Thai-Pop. They have the potential to be the competitor to K-pop in 5 years.

JayAtl, my dear Korean wannabe, hate to spoil your mental mas.........party, to be honest, the only so-called indian culture i ever came across is this one so-called "indian holy oil" are you a big fan of it DN?:lol:
du5VP.png

Back
Top Bottom