What's new

Cartelisation in the automobile sector and CCP recommendations

sparklingway

Reaction score
Khalid Mirza is a really dedicated, upright, honest and competent man. CCP's advocacy reports have been really substantiative and although the cartels are too strong for one man, at least they've been able to put recommendations on the table.

Eliminate automobile import tariffs and duties. For too long consumers have had to suffer because the three big local players cannot manufacture efficiently, raise prices jointly and fleece the customer with sub-standard cars.

Lack of competition in local auto manufacturing industry: CCP

KARACHI: Three major players are dominating the market and dictating prices due to the absence of competition in the local automobile manufacturing industry, according to a research report commissioned by the Competition Commission of Pakistan.

This was the finding of a research programme initiated by the CCP to assess the competition vulnerabilities in various sectors. The Pakistani market only has three major players, each dominating a different segment of the market based on the size of the car, according to the study.

Car prices have been increasing continuously since 2006 and new cars are out of range of the middle-income group. Car sales have fallen on a yearly basis in 2008 and 2009 but prices showed an upward trend with Honda Atlas, Indus Motors and Pak Suzuki increasing their prices thrice in 2008, according to the CCP’s statistics.

“We are concerned about the sector being so concentrated and the point of the study was to find a weak point in the sector as it is very difficult to say that it is not a competitive market due to product differentiation,” said the chairman of the CCP, Khalid Mirza. He believes that this sector needs to be monitored.

The problem: increasing car prices

“It seems that the local assemblers have adopted a strategy of increasing profits on limited production instead of increasing volumes,” alleges the CCP’s report.

The CCP is concerned that the neat division of the market between Honda, Suzuki and Indus Motors along with the steady market shares that they have had over the last decade signifies a lack of competition.

Cartelisation of this sort does exist as they do have the pricing power; given that they have 70 to 80 per cent of the market share cornered between them, according to Invest Cap Bank’s research head, Khurram Shehzad.

Any loss of competition in the market is bad news for the consumers, who have the same limited choices albeit at rising prices; most carmakers have been announcing plans to increase production volumes over the next few years but these plans have yet to come to fruition and the problem of late delivery of cars remains unchanged as a source of dissatisfaction among buyers, says the CCP report.

The cure: tariff decrease on imports

The report suggests that the tariff on import of new cars in all segments of the market be reduced to bring manufacturer protection down to five to 10 per cent. Cars imports are currently subject to excessively high duties, and the CCP believes that inter-brand competition can be promoted by allowing import of new cars at lower prices.

It also suggests that the industry “move from a reactive demand-based model to a proactive supply based model in order to make it more competitive”. As is the case with most manufacturers in developed countries, including Honda, Toyota, and Suzuki, customers place their orders directly with the manufacturers via the internet. This creates a direct linkage between the two, reducing the role of dealers, and helps the manufacturer in the inventory management and production planning process.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 25th, 2010

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Here's the draft report:-

http://www.cc.gov.pk/images/reports/automobile_sector_study.pdf

This scenario is just because of the fact that we could not come up with our own Automotive industry that's why we are here even this automotive industry could have helped us in military sector. Although the GoP could look towards developing one by allowing them tax free for some 4-5 years so that regional automakers could come and they can produce car ranging from Alto/Coure class to Toyota Corolla class cars as well as bringing up SUV's as well as SUT's and even an industry that can produce Trucks ranging from Smaller Suzuki to Heavy trawllers and may be bikes manufacturers that can even produce Rikhshaw that's considered to be our regular transport/

All this could help in developing our own Locomotive engines and Boogies as well as which could be sold to cheaper price.

:pakistan::cheers::pakistan::smitten:

This scenario is just because of the fact that we could not come up with our own Automotive industry that's why we are here even this automotive industry could have helped us in military sector. Although the GoP could look towards developing one by allowing them tax free for some 4-5 years so that regional automakers could come and they can produce car ranging from Alto/Coure class to Toyota Corolla class cars as well as bringing up SUV's as well as SUT's and even an industry that can produce Trucks ranging from Smaller Suzuki to Heavy trawllers and may be bikes manufacturers that can even produce Rikhshaw that's considered to be our regular transport/

All this could help in developing our own Locomotive engines and Boogies as well as which could be sold to cheaper price.

I see the usual obsession with developing local brands. If we never had any tariffs we really didn't need a big local automobile industry, at least in the past two decades. Of course as people will become climb the economic ladder, private transport will become a priority keeping in mind the abysmal state of public transport. Therefore, a local industry is required but even then we don't need to have a local company.

Trade is reciprocal. We export a variety of goods and we need to specialize in them and stop obsessing with developing everything locally.

If some magic happens and trade across the borders open i.e. a FTA with India, we will no longer need to have a domestic automobile sector.

man you are totally wrong
we must have our own industry that can support our own transportation as well as they can after gaining credibility go to other developing countries to start selling the car and tructs there think thoroughly and then answer.

I see the usual obsession with developing local brands. If we never had any tariffs we really didn't need a big local automobile industry, at least in the past two decades. Of course as people will become climb the economic ladder, private transport will become a priority keeping in mind the abysmal state of public transport. Therefore, a local industry is required but even then we don't need to have a local company.

Trade is reciprocal. We export a variety of goods and we need to specialize in them and stop obsessing with developing everything locally.

If some magic happens and trade across the borders open i.e. a FTA with India, we will no longer need to have a domestic automobile sector.

SW, I believe Pakistan to be a decent sized market for passenger cars. Has the Pak MoF implemented measures to help grow the industry? For eg. in India, in an effort to make India a hub for small cars, all cars manufactured under the 1300CC engine capacity get sops and lesser taxes. Almost all the car companies have taken advantage of this regulation and launched multiple models within this limit. And as the regulation brings down the manufacturing cost, most of them are exporting these cars as well. Hyundai, Suzuki and now Ford are exporting small cars to markets in SE Asia and Africa. In fact a few months back I was chuckling to myself reading the Economic Times. It had two news reports about GM. It was closing a plant in the US due to economic pressures and the next page had a news about GM VP inaugurating GM's second Indian plant in Pune, Maharashtra! The world's center is indeed shifting.

SW, I believe Pakistan to be a decent sized market for passenger cars. Has the Pak MoF implemented measures to help grow the industry? For eg. in India, in an effort to make India a hub for small cars, all cars manufactured under the 1300CC engine capacity get sops and lesser taxes. Almost all the car companies have taken advantage of this regulation and launched multiple models within this limit. And as the regulation brings down the manufacturing cost, most of them are exporting these cars as well. Hyundai, Suzuki and now Ford are exporting small cars to markets in SE Asia and Africa. In fact a few months back I was chuckling to myself reading the Economic Times. It had two news reports about GM. It was closing a plant in the US due to economic pressures and the next page had a news about GM VP inaugurating GM's second Indian plant in Pune, Maharashtra! The world's center is indeed shifting.

I was talking about how they've been protected from the international market even after the infant industry argument would have ceased to have any value i.e. throughout the past three decades they've been protected with initially an import tariff of 250% which has now come down to around 75% and is still exorbitantly high (besides the ban on importing used cars older than X years).

The automobile sector and paper mills are the most protected and worst performing sectors of our economy. Even after they're protected so much, only one or two companies manage to show any type of profit even though they cartelize and fleece the consumers.

We've seen too much of these bastards. It's time Pakistan opens it's automobile import policy and let the domestic producers face competition. Of course, unemployment is a big problem right now and nobody can think of it today but give them a deadline of three years and teach them something in basic economics.

Pakistan has created a market for cheap and efficient motorcycles and the local companies are outperforming all other companies in the motorcycle business. In fact all companies that were established before the '90s have seen an average decrease of nearly 30% in their sales while domestic ones have witnessed increases of over 100% in their sales. That is an industry that is performing well.

Toyota Indus, Honda Atlas and Pak Suzuki should no longer be protected.

@Nishan_101: Free market will do the job for you. Domestic producers need to come out to market standards. They've been protected for the past 63 years. It's time they face market competition. If they can't survive, say thanks to the free market for me.

Micro Motors Sri Lanka will invest in an Assembly line in Pakistan

Pending Approval

Bus.jpg

43qz.jpg

rexton2_skog.jpg

ssangyon-rexton-13-02-08.jpg

Our President near Made in Sri Lanka vehicles

I hope Pakistan should approve the Car Deal with Sri Lanka Soon

z_new351.jpg

mr_120507_02.jpg

newsMicro_Cars_Colombo.jpg

13132261.jpg

Can Pakistani friends tell me why still no approval for new car companies in Pakistan

Not really a national economy conducive to investment as of now. A market not really burgeoning. A market that is stiffly contested. A market that is lobbied very well and restricts new entrants.

I think pakistan have to open gates for indian cars and bike..india also do the same thing...that will help to increase competition and knowledge of market

Micro Motors Sri Lanka will invest in an Assembly line in Pakistan

Pending Approval

Bus.jpg

43qz.jpg

rexton2_skog.jpg

ssangyon-rexton-13-02-08.jpg

Oh man that's wonderful and when will it come to Pakistan and are there some knowledge in automotive sector in Sirilanka and when its developed and for approval they have to bribe and then they can get the approval we are facing a problem that no one in world is facing, there is so much corruption in our country that no one can understand. By the way one day sirilanka would be making APC's ,MBTs, Self-propelled howetzers, Armoured Trucks and as well as other Mechanical stuff even for export. :victory::victory: :yahoo::woot:

if we remove custom duties and allow foreign cars in! our local market will crash leading to a rampant increase in lay offs=unemployment!

please tell me why should we not protect that car manufacturing sector!! other sectors i understand but CARS i don't!

Back
Top Bottom