What's new

Can Turkey built anJet engine?

Aegis DDG

Reaction score
Does Turkey have the capability of building an indigenous turbofan jet and create good materials to create super-alloys and ceramics to withstand heat for the turbine blades.

Interesting development. But considering how stressful engine development is for the Chinese (and an failure for the Indians), sure the Turks must find some difficulty in jet engines. I mean the PRC is practically planning to spend 25 billion dollars on it's WS series engines.

Harsh reality? It could be possible in the future. Please tell why you think that Turkey can't built an Jet engine from an engineers point of view..

Simply, we don't have enough knowledge.

We have some projects like building an indigenous Turbo-jet engine for SOM cruise missle.

And have road map, but building a serious engine for a jet fighter is something that we can't do for now and in the near future.

We have some projects like building an indigenous Turbo-jet engine for SOM cruise missle.

And have road map, but building a serious engine for a jet fighter is something that we can't do now and in the near future.

And have road map, but building a serious engine for a jet fighter is something that we can't do now and in the near future.

Indian tried. I see no why the Turks can't atleast achieve 60KN thrust engine.

Many nations with more economical power and brainpower are struggling with making a engine for a fighter.
What makes you think that we should perform better than those nations?

If you ask me we should license build the engine with full export rights. It's the most sensible thing to do.
It would also make it more cheap for export.

Indian tried. I see no why the Turks can't atleast achieve 60KN thrust engine.

By 2023 Turkey will achieve 20-30 KN Turbo-Fan.

This is the road map i have been talking about.

Motoryolharitas1310.jpg

@Aegis DDG ,@Sinan ,
The Kaveri engine project hasnt failed,we have achieved 81 kn of thrust but the army is asking for 90-95 kn of thrust because 80 kn is not sufficient to power Tejas(our indigenous fighter).

There are many variants of Kaveri engine......
Modified Kaveri Engine to Propel Indian Navy Ships - Press ...

Kaveri engine to fly futuristic unmanned aircraft | Business Standard

Although Kaveri engine failed in its original objective but we gained a lot of experience from it.
We will also test the engine on Mig-29(original version with thrust of 81 kn) this year and join the club of handful countries :)
New tailwinds for Kaveri engine - The Hindu

We are also searching a partner for next generation series(90-120kn of thrust)

Last edited:
To spend money on a serious fighter jet engine needs feedback as well , i mean the money you spend on R&D and facilities should deal with cost of engine , what i mean
the amount of engines will be used has a lower limit production to be profitable than purchasing from foreign countries.
Its like, if you invest enough money a frigate's gas turbine also can be developed, but if it costs 30 bln to R&D and prototypes, but you ll use 4 gas turbine each worths 500 mln ,it wont be profitable also wasting money, since none of countries would go for a newbie company except of us.
Rather than designing indigenously, we might go for Tech transfer, co production with a well known company . At least to produce spare and main parts.
The answer isnt no, there is nothing cant be done, but our background is too low in engines , for years we havent tried high performance diesel engines.
Answer is yes and no both , but it would be better to say Turkey wouldnt prefer to built an indigenous large jet engine. But other plans for turbo fan engines will go on .

To spend money on a serious fighter jet engine needs feedback as well , i mean the money you spend on R&D and facilities should deal with cost of engine , what i mean
the amount of engines will be used has a lower limit production to be profitable than purchasing from foreign countries.
Its like, if you invest enough money a frigate's gas turbine also can be developed, but if it costs 30 bln to R&D and prototypes, but you ll use 4 gas turbine each worths 500 mln ,it wont be profitable also wasting money, since none of countries would go for a newbie company except of us.
Rather than designing indigenously, we might go for Tech transfer, co production with a well known company . At least to produce spare and main parts.
The answer isnt no, there is nothing cant be done, but our background is too low in engines , for years we havent tried high performance diesel engines.
Answer is yes and no both , but it would be better to say Turkey wouldnt prefer to built an indigenous large jet engine. But other plans for turbo fan engines will go on .
Nobody gives the critical tech so all your argument about coproduction fails there and 30 billion dollars figure is too exgeratted,we spent only 2 to 5 billion dollars.
Let us asssume that you brought up some engines from America,what will you do if America imposes sanctions on you during war time and refuses to give spare and main parts??,you will be doomed.:sick:

And about having no experience,you have to start from somewhere. :)

Nobody gives the critical tech so all your argument about coproduction fails there and 30 billion dollars figure is too exgeratted,we spent only 2 to 5 billion dollars.
Let us asssume that you brought up some engines from America,what will you do if America imposes sanctions on you during war time and refuses to give spare and main parts??,you will be doomed.:sick:

And about having no experience,you have to start from somewhere. :)

In case of a serious war , i dont think there will be chance for jet fighter production. But about sanctions its possible. eventhought US imposes sanctions we might go for Russia ,china or for future maybe india.
2-5 bln is optimistic value IMO , that would be higher for us because there isnt enough experience for a complex jet engine also there isnt facilities too .
A co production and TOT will give us experience and sufficient oppurtunities. For critical parts we might go for R&D and then working on indigenous project with the knowledge gained from coproduction , this will be way loweing costs for beginning from zero for an engine.
Rather than and Jet engine ,we need diesel engine to apply on land force's project ;a future one planned for Altay MBT but its also a coproduction.
For beginning , we started it already with smale scale turbo fan engine and projects going on for cruise missiles and UAV .

Only a handful of companies produce good, reliable engines. Eg Rolls-Royce and GE.

Obviously Russians have good "jet engines" too, but i don't believe they are as good as the ones produced by the companies listed above.

Back
Top Bottom