What's new

Bridge collapses at Florida International University in Miami

Saw it on TV today, very sad. I just don't understand how a 50 meter foot overpass would even cost 15 million and two years to build, and collapsed days after installed.

"They don't build things like they used to". :(

ad74edd3051e93a_w387_h219.gif
f734e984f317ff2_w387_h219.gif
6bdcdd40cf056a4_w387_h219.gif
10 people have been killed, a disaster

f734e984f317ff2_w387_h219.gif

upload_2018-3-16_12-17-8.png

Saw it on TV today, very sad. I just don't understand how a 50 meter foot overpass would even cost 15 million and two years to build, and collapsed days after installed.

"They don't build things like they used to". :(
True. The bridge just finished 5 days ago . If America is willing to spend some money on infrastructure . they should look to China to help them with building infrastructure.

True. The bridge just finished 5 days ago . If America is willing to spend some money on infrastructure . they should look to China to help them with building infrastructure.

The design firm fucked it up. They designed the bridge as they were designing a truss for house floor, but unlike wood, concrete just can't take bending load. There was no any weight bearing beams to support two 174-foot concrete slabs. The bridge collapsed under its own weight!

It is a total failure of the entire system, from designer, to contractor, to building inspector. They need to be re-trained in China!

FLOORBEN.JPG

IMG_4387-570x428.jpg

Last edited:
First, Rest In Peace.

I think USA should investigate that what material made in China were used in it, cement or steel? seems there are few steel in it. Of course did the bridge build by China company or employed Chinese? The cost for building bridge are huge, I think it should be built by American or Indian but not Chinese(Cheap and bad quality, but the bridge is not cheap).

From the pictures, the air quality is so good, very clean!

First, Rest In Peace.

I think USA should investigate that what material made in China were used in it, cement or steel? seems there are few steel in it. Of course did the bridge build by China company or employed Chinese? The cost for building bridge are huge, I think it should be built by American or Indian but not Chinese(Cheap and bad quality, but the bridge is not cheap).

From the pictures, the air quality is so good, very clean!

This thread would have been filled with joy and cheering by now, had this happened in China.

RIP

American Infrastructure is in disarray.

May God help America in making it Great Again

I think something went wrong with modern American design philosophy - on paper they all seeking to be different, unconventional maybe even revolutionary, but the end products are usually impractical, sub-par and sometimes a total disaster.

Actually reminds me of Elon musk... and the F-35

15 million only last 5 days...
RIP to the victim and the bridge

I just don't understand how a 50 meter foot overpass would even cost 15 million and two years to build, and collapsed days after installed.
A pedestrian overpass example in Shanghai of China, with similar amount of budget and construction time: $20 million + 2 years.

Construction business in the US must be super profitable. Feel envy.

123.jpg
567.jpg

They were actually conducting a stress test on it earlier in the morning prior to the collapse.
It's supposed to withstand the effects of a category 5 hurricane so whatever happened is definitely a major failure which is extremely rare in the US. Safety standards in the US are of the highest order and money is never a consideration when it comes to the safety of the public.
This type of bridge had been built over 800 times prior to this one.
They built it on the side of the road for safety and logistical reasons and it only took 3 hours to turn it and move it in place. So for this to happen is very unusual and was probably either a defective portion of the poured concrete or a weight miscalculation. It could've also been an error in the stress testing process. Either of those are extremely rare.

@waz @The Eagle @WebMaster @Horus sirs, the amount of trolling in this tragic thread is just in poor taste. Please could someone kindly moderate! Cheers!

Shame on those who are using the tragic loss of lives as a cheap exercise in point scoring.
Can you provide an example where members here were making fun of the people who died due to the collapse of the bridge?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom