What's new

Belisarius: The Emperor's Sword

dexter

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
How I wish you hadn't reproduced this!
It is one of the most heart-breaking stories of gallantry and generalship, betrayed by an emperor who was a great emperor himself, but who never failed to display his human weaknesses and frailties, and his base and meanest self whenever the opportunity arose.
Even within this, there is the strange and sad story of the eunuch, Narses, who proved to be as good a commander as Belisarius himself.
I suppose the temptation of telling this rousing story is too strong.

How I wish you hadn't reproduced this!
It is one of the most heart-breaking stories of gallantry and generalship, betrayed by an emperor who was a great emperor himself, but who never failed to display his human weaknesses and frailties, and his base and meanest self whenever the opportunity arose.
Even within this, there is the strange and sad story of the eunuch, Narses, who proved to be as good a commander as Belisarius himself.
I suppose the temptation of telling this rousing story is too strong.
And John Tzimiskes murdered Nikiforos II Phokas,a great emperor. And Tzimiskes became a great emperor too and they say that he later repented for assasinating Nikiforos Phokas. Unfortunately,the Byzantine Empire was full of scheming and betrayals. It was the real Game of Thrones.

Last edited:

In the 6th century AD, during the reign of Emperor Justinian, the Roman Empire experienced an extraordinary resurgence, reconquering lands - including Italy, North Africa, and Rome itself - that had been lost to the 'barbarians' a century before. Leading these campaigns, was a brilliant Roman general named Flavius Belisarius - a skilled tactician, inspirational leader, pragmatic and humane. This is the story of those campaigns, as recorded by Procopius, an eyewitness to many of them, as well as other ancient historians, texts, and archaeological remains.

Back
Top Bottom