What's new

Barrick Gold Corporation commences work on Reko Diq field in Balochistan

FOOLS_NIGHTMARE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Transfers $3m to govt with locals to be given opportunity to participate in extraction process
1613453079ce679.png

The Barrick Gold Corporation – a Canadian firm that specializes in extracting minerals – has started work on the multi billion dollar Reko Diq project in Balochistan.

A ceremony was held at the Chief Minister’s Secretariat in Quetta where Balochistan Chief Minister Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo and Barrick Gold Corporation’s Chief Executive Mark Bristow signed the agreement for the Reko Diq field project.

Speaking at the event, Bristow announced that the company has established a project office in Quetta and that engineers have already begun initial work on the field.

He also stated that the recruitment process has started for both the field and the Quetta office, with a focus on hiring locals.

“To highlight the partnership and ownership, local people will be given the opportunity to participate in the business related to the agreement,” said Bristow.

He also announced that the company will be transferring $3 million to the Balochistan government this month as part of the agreement.

CM Bizenjo, emphasized the need for unity among government officials and opposition leaders for the development of the province.

“The participation of all government and opposition members, including Barrick Gold’s team and opposition leader Malik Sikander, in the ceremony marking the official start of work on the Reko Diq project is a clear indication of our united efforts towards the development and construction of the province,” said Bizenjo.

Sikander also welcomed the project, calling it a “historic moment” for the province.

The ceremony concluded with Bristow cutting a cake to officially mark the beginning of the project.

Pakistanis should start selling their mines to foreigners as they are incapable to even do some basic digging and processing of mineral ores.

I was invested in Barrick Gold for quite sometime, I read some articles. But seriously, how hard it is for some local miners to develop the field?

When you want to do something it requires an effort.

But then again why do something when you can just outsource it and just $0.05 by just sitting around thankful you came out of the balls and ovaries of 2 "blessed" individuals?

Nothing about this deal makes sense.
It’s a shame
I know it cliche but that's exactly what happened in the original banana republics of Latin America.

Outsiders getting Favorable deal while the local govt's shafted any who raised an objection. Literally killing their own citizens who were essentially slaves of the big banana companies.

Good news. Hopefully it starts generating large cashflows in 3-4 years time.

Regards

I was invested in Barrick Gold for quite sometime, I read some articles. But seriously, how hard it is for some local miners to develop the field?

$10 billion investment requiered? Its hard for Pakistan to invest so much in single project.

Back
Top Bottom