What's new

Bangladesh, Japan seal aid deal, agree to nuclear power talks

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
w3-bangladesh-z-20140527-870x611.jpg

Visiting Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina signed a joint statement with counterpart Shinzo Abe on Monday in Tokyo to seal Japan’s pledge to extend up to ¥600 billion in economic assistance to the country over the next four to five years.

The funds, mainly in the form of loans, will be used to build infrastructure and other projects in Bangladesh.

The two countries also agreed to launch a meeting of experts to discuss the lessons Japan has learned so far from the Fukushima nuclear disaster, Abe told reporters after the meeting.

Bangladesh, which suffers from chronic power shortages, is building its first nuclear power plant, in conjunction with Russia, about 120 km north of Dacca, the capital.

“Prime Minister Hasina . . . expressed her hope that Japan would examine the possibility to cooperate with Bangladesh for a nuclear power plant project in the future,” their joint statement said.

“We have visited almost all issues of bilateral relations, including economic cooperation,” Hasina said after meeting with Abe at the prime minister’s office.

“It was very constructive discussion and . . . the joint statement will provide a guide for the implementation of issues we both decided to carry out,” she said, adding she has asked Abe to soon visit Bangladesh.

According to the statement, Hasina also expressed “her support and appreciation for Japan’s policy of ‘proactive pacifism,’ ” Abe’s pet phrase for his push to get the Japanese military more involved in international security operations.

The statement also said the two leaders “underscored the importance of the freedom of navigation and shared the view that international disputes and issues should be resolved peacefully” based on international law.

The Japanese side has inserted similar sentences in many recent joint statements with other foreign leaders, an apparent drive by Abe to keep China in check as Beijing tries to extend its military clout in the East and South China seas.

Reference: Japan Times

Good to see Japan's expansion of soft power for mutual interest.

I believe we have more to do. There are a plethora of investment opportunities in many states in South Asia. Our prime interest, India, should be expanded. Japan should also increase investments and diplomatic interaction with Pakistan, Sri Lanka, as well as Bangladesh.

I believe we have more to do. There are a plethora of investment opportunities in many states in South Asia. Our prime interest, India, should be expanded. Japan should also increase investments and diplomatic interaction with Pakistan, Sri Lanka, as well as Bangladesh.
We like Japan, there is a big contribution of JICA in Bangladesh's development :-):cheers:

This lady you see in the OP picture is a mass murderer of thousands of innocent Bangladeshi's, all because she wants to stay in power with India's help. She is essentially an Indian installed puppet dictator. Her father was another India backed mass murderer and he got killed as a result. 90% Bangladeshi's hope that the same fate will befall this lady as well.

Last edited:
@BDforever ,

I have been following the economic forecast in your country and very impressed with the way Dhaka has been capable of removing impediments of further Japanese investments in the country. This is something that India [Modi] should look at and follow. I think, currently, its easier to work with in Bangladesh than with India due to the tax provisions they [india] have. They currently are expecting Japanese businesses to pay $2 billion in taxes. This , truly, is a sign that India has to work on their investor-friendly platforms.

@kalu_miah ,

Thank you for informing me about the political history of your country. I never knew that, and I'll have to read more into this.

@BDforever ,

I have been following the economic forecast in your country and very impressed with the way Dhaka has been capable of removing impediments of further Japanese investments in the country. This is something that India [Modi] should look at and follow. I think, currently, its easier to work with in Bangladesh than with India due to the tax provisions they [india] have. They currently are expecting Japanese businesses to pay $2 billion in taxes. This , truly, is a sign that India has to work on their investor-friendly platforms.

Thank you for informing me about the political history of your country. I never knew that, and I'll have to read more into this.
do not trust @kalu_miah , he even bad mouth about USA while living in USA.
yes she is in power illegal, talking about mass murderer ? well all of the parties are same here.
And her father is Nation's father. so now you do realize how bad kalu_miah is

@Nihonjin1051 you will understand BDforever's stand when you consider that he is a supporter of this pro-India murderous regime. I bad mouth everyone equally, but I do that more about those who deserve more like this lady Hasina.

This is a good opportunity for both Bangladesh and Japan.

Bangladesh must try to get more and more financing from global majors for its projects.

Back
Top Bottom