What's new

Baloch insurgency faces uncertain future

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Khuram Iqbal

Militancy in Balochistan is no longer the "forgotten conflict" of Pakistan. Long before the US Congressional hearing on Balochistan early this year, the issue had already taken a central role on the national, regional and international political stage. An official apology extended to Baloch people by President Asif Ali Zardari, an ethnic Baloch himself, in February 2008 demonstrated the significance that present political elite attach to the issue.

A number of political, economic and security initiatives launched by the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party government and the military establishment during the last four years, seeking an amicable solution to the complex problem of Pakistan's largest province, have gone unnoticed and unacknowledged. This is the result of the hijacking of public discourse by the left-wing English media in Pakistan. Objectivity has long become a causality of ideological enslavement of public intellectuals in the country.

Baloch insurgents are often portrayed by the Pakistani left as a bulwark against the forces of religious extremism in the province bordering Southern Afghanistan. Calling them secular just because they denounce Taliban and al-Qaeda is scholarly biased and ethically unfair. Apart from separating state from religious institutions, secularism also entails a movement toward modernization. And modernization in the era of globalization and triumph of democracy all around the world cannot be achieved through out-dated Marxist nationalist ideas, which itself has become a religion of its own in the Pakistani context.

In Pakistani media, hardly any analysis is devoted to the dangers of neo-Marxist nationalist ideology upheld by the number of separatist organizations, which categorically reject the idea of open market economy and holds no respect for ethnic diversity. The isolationist narrative being espoused by the separatists in Balochistan portrays the US as an eternal enemy working hand in glove with the Pakistan Army to quell "Baloch resistance".

Iran is seen as an "occupier of West Balochistan" and mega-developmental projects such as Gwadar port are described as an extension of "Chinese Imperialism". Non-Baloch population including Punjabis, Kashmiris and Seraiki-speaking Baloch, who played a vital role in maintaining the minimum levels of modernization in absence of educated Balochs, are demonized by a handful of Baloch militants as a fifth column of Pakistan Army and ruthlessly killed.

This attitude towards non-Baloch population of Balochistan also shows a paradigm shift in the separatists' policies and objectives when put in the context of past insurrections of 1948 and 1970s. Baloch militants rarely resorted to attacks against public targets in recent years - Pakistani military, law enforcement agencies and symbols of central government always remained the targets of choice. The carefully selected targets won the Baloch insurgents international acclaim and legitimacy to their cause, two of the most crucial elements for waging successful guerilla warfare.

But during the latest phase of insurgency the Baloch fighters seem to have diverted from this strategy and appear devoid of policy direction. The insurgent forces in Balochistan are struggling to keep pace with the changing nature of the conflict and as a result are resorting to tactics unheard of during past phases of the insurrection. For example, the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) has attempted to carry out a few suicide attacks, which were successfully pre-empted and prevented by Pakistani law enforcement agencies. The use of human bombs is something that can jeopardize the whole struggle and makes Baloch militias appear more ruthless and desperate.

As the conflict evolves and conflict-resolution mechanisms are put in place by the government of Pakistan, we observe some other new trends emerging in the militant landscape of Balochistan, which can have dire impacts for the insurgent forces in the longer-run. Baloch separatist outfits are gradually expanding their areas of operation and widening the choices of target.

From ambushes on security forces to attacks on power pylons/gas pipelines, the choice of targets has now widened to public places in and out of Balochistan. A close examination of the targets employed by the militants, operating on the pretext of defending Baloch rights, reveals that these attacks are not a part of systematic campaign for the right of self-determination but intended to create fear and anarchy all across Pakistan.

On April 23, a bomb blast struck Lahore Railway Station, which killed at least two people and injured 40 others including women and children. Similarly, on July 11, a bus carrying the employees of the Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) on the main Hub River Road in Saeedabad, Karachi was targeted, with 24 employees injured in this attack. Both attacks were claimed by Lashkar-e-Balochistan, a new addition to the galaxy of terrorist outfits that have emerged in Balochistan during last decade. The group was also found involved in the July 23 bombing outside the Chinese Consulate in Karachi. Though the human loss in this particular case was minimal, Lashkar-e-Balochistan was able to communicate that the highly-secured targets beyond Balochistan are also within their reach.

The shift from a systematic campaign of militancy to indiscriminate violence seems a desperate reaction by militant outfits in Balochistan and their masters operating from the comfort of Switzerland, London and New Delhi. The departure of international forces from Afghanistan in 2014 will serve a major blow to the separatists in Balochistan. The presence of foreign sanctuaries and training facilities is essential for the survival of a guerrilla movement irrespective of its ideological orientation and legitimacy of the cause.

As the present power-structure collapses and Afghanistan plunges into civil war following the disengagement of allied forces, Indian spymasters operating from the consulates and information centers across the Pak-Afghan border will find it hard to ensure a sustained supply of weapons, finances, training and safe-sanctuaries to the militant outfits involved in Balochistan unrest. This development will be a game-changer in favor of Pakistan.

The story of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in Sri Lanka is a case in point. The organization rose to the status of the world's most formidable entity with the help of Indian external intelligence agency. As soon as the Indians cut-off their support for the group, Sri Lanka with a comparatively small army launched successful counter-insurgency campaign, defeated the group and re-established the writ of state in the areas previously ruled by the LTTE.

In Sri Lanka, the Research and Analysis Wing of India did not curtail their support for a terrorist outfit out of goodwill for Sri Lankan government and the people. It was the assassination of Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in May 1991 by an LTTE suicide bomber and a radicalization of India's own Tamil population, which forced the Indian intelligence apparatus to rethink their policy towards the group. In the case of Balochistan, the separatists will be abandoned in a similar fashion. This will not mark the end of unrest in Balochistan as external support is not the only factor behind insurgency in the province. The political aspects of the Baloch struggle for provincial autonomy and greater control will take priority over the militants' quest for an independent Balochistan.

Asia Times Online :: Baloch insurgency faces uncertain future

Baloch insurgents are often portrayed by the Pakistani left as a bulwark against the forces of religious extremism in the province bordering Southern Afghanistan. Calling them secular just because they denounce Taliban and al-Qaeda is scholarly biased and ethically unfair. Apart from separating state from religious institutions, secularism also entails a movement toward modernization.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...ncy-faces-uncertain-future.html#ixzz22yFsQcL3

these are the key words
some guys in Balochistan will go at any length to discourage education and basic civic facilities let alone modernization in its most primitive forms.

a hungry, ill and malnourished Baloch serves very well for as a fodder against the FC and civil administration.

few years back there was an abduction of a UN worker by BLA... he was freed after 8 months of negotiations and some form of a bargain. A fellow Baloch declares to me that this gesture by BLA is a proof that BLA are not savages like Taliban and care for human life. when I pointed out at the driver who was shot and killed on spot during the abduction then he had no answer

By Khuram Iqbal

Militancy in Balochistan is no longer the "forgotten conflict" of Pakistan. Long before the US Congressional hearing on Balochistan early this year, the issue had already taken a central role on the national, regional and international political stage. An official apology extended to Baloch people by President Asif Ali Zardari, an ethnic Baloch himself, in February 2008 demonstrated the significance that present political elite attach to the issue.

A number of political, economic and security initiatives launched by the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party government and the military establishment during the last four years, seeking an amicable solution to the complex problem of Pakistan's largest province, have gone unnoticed and unacknowledged. This is the result of the hijacking of public discourse by the left-wing English media in Pakistan. Objectivity has long become a causality of ideological enslavement of public intellectuals in the country.

Baloch insurgents are often portrayed by the Pakistani left as a bulwark against the forces of religious extremism in the province bordering Southern Afghanistan. Calling them secular just because they denounce Taliban and al-Qaeda is scholarly biased and ethically unfair. Apart from separating state from religious institutions, secularism also entails a movement toward modernization. And modernization in the era of globalization and triumph of democracy all around the world cannot be achieved through out-dated Marxist nationalist ideas, which itself has become a religion of its own in the Pakistani context.

Asia Times Online :: Baloch insurgency faces uncertain future

What after PPP and zardari?? He have done lot for pakistan in last 4 years still he gets all the curse.

Those who thinks that Baloch insurgency will dissolve in thin air or have uncertain future are in the illusion for sure.

Till the basics are not corrected nothing will change on the ground.

And i think the insurgency have not reached its peak till today its just the beginning.

these are the key words
some guys in Balochistan will go at any length to discourage education and basic civic facilities let alone modernization in its most primitive forms.

a hungry, ill and malnourished Baloch
serves very well for as a fodder against the FC and civil administration.

few years back there was an abduction of a UN worker by BLA... he was freed after 8 months of negotiations and some form of a bargain. A fellow Baloch declares to me that this gesture by BLA is a proof that BLA are not savages like Taliban and care for human life. when I pointed out at the driver who was shot and killed on spot during the abduction then he had no answer

Add the systemic denials, abusive attitude, higher then thou attitude, target killings, mutilated bodies to the list and you gets a grim picture.

Those who thinks that Baloch insurgency will dissolve in thin air or have uncertain future are in the illusion for sure.

And i think the insurgency have not reached its peak till today its just the beginning.

Add the systemic denials, abusive attitude, higher then thou attitude, target killings, mutilated bodies to the list and you gets a grim picture.

Without due respect, I thnik you should be more concerned about the insurgencies going on in India right now, dont worry about Pakistan as it will be taken care of, once a new government comes in power hopefully things will change for the better.

Without due respect, I thnik you should be more concerned about the insurgencies going on in India right now, dont worry about Pakistan as it will be taken care of, once a new government comes in power hopefully things will change for the better.

We are not concerned about Indian insurgencies ....because you guys are more concerned about it...... :D

Replace Baloch with every single insurgency in the world and your statement will still fit..

very true

applies for the Kulpar Bughtis

they got rights for the mining and support during the Musharraf era
they form the biggest subclan of the Bughtis but face the wrath of the Akbar Bughti subclan

you ask yourself

hey look at this sardar and his son
so articulate
so plush , look at his dress sense, look how cool his trimmed beard and moustache looks, look at the choice of the furniture
he is quoting French and English poets while he talks... he cant be that bad?

now moving on come to London and look at these flashy super cars and the Arab prices driving look how smart they are how well educated they are.. they cant be that repressive can they? they are the friends of the west.
one of them just donated 5 million for tree huggars charity... now thats what only a man with a heart of hold can do.

change of scene, away from the western media, among their tribes in the deserts of Arabia or the baloch wilderness
these same chaps are making their captured enemies watch as the minions kill their children in front of them and dishonouring their women.
welcome to Balochsitan my dear.

And add clueless chaps like you on top
come have a cup of tea with a Baloch sometimes and shed some tears if you dare.

what he doesnt want is sympathy and that too one is dipped with sarcasm

very true

applies for the Kulpar Bughtis

they got rights for the mining and support during the Musharraf era
they form the biggest subclan of the Bughtis but face the wrath of the Akbar Bughti subclan

you ask yourself

hey look at this sardar and his son
so articulate
so plush , look at his dress sense, look how cool his trimmed beard and moustache looks, look at the choice of the furniture
he is quoting French and English poets while he talks... he cant be that bad?

now moving on come to London and look at these flashy super cars and the Arab prices driving look how smart they are how well educated they are.. they cant be that repressive can they? they are the friends of the west.
one of them just donated 5 million for tree huggars charity... now thats what only a man with a heart of hold can do.

change of scene, away from the western media, among their tribes in the deserts of Arabia or the baloch wilderness
these same chaps are making their captured enemies watch as the minions kill their children in front of them and dishonouring their women.
welcome to Balochsitan my dear.

And add clueless chaps like you on top
come have a cup of tea with a Baloch sometimes and shed some tears if you dare.

what he doesnt want is sympathy and that too one is dipped with sarcasm

I guess you misunderstood my post.. All I was saying was that all insurgencies like the one in Balochistan are driven by selfish interests where the rich politicians use the common, poor and deprived man's misfortunes to con him into fighting a misguided war for their selfish interests..

You do realize that he hasn't added 'Baloch' after 'Irfan' just because it has a nice ring to it ! He is an ethnic Baloch living in Quetta right now which means he is more apprised about the ground-realities of Balochistan than any of us here. And anyone who has ever talked to Irfan Bhai knows that he is an honest and an unapologetic critic of those policies of Pakistan that he thinks are wrong.

@ Irfan Bhai : I always wonder what made Akbar Bughti such a strong proponent of joining Pakistan ! I've always been under the impression that he was sincere to Pakistan and more so to Quaid-e-Azam (can't brush off that photograph of greeting Jinnah Sahib at the Sibbi Darbar with so much respect !) till the very end.

You do realize that he hasn't added 'Baloch' after 'Irfan' just because it has a nice ring to it ! He is an ethnic Baloch living in Quetta right now which means he is more apprised about the ground-realities of Balochistan more than any of us here. And anyone who has ever talked to Irfan Bhai knows that he is an honest and an unapologetic critic of those policies of Pakistan that he thinks are wrong.

explained a bit some time ago
What Drives American Policies and Strategic Aims in the Region? | Pakistan Defence

I understand the wishes of the Indian commentators here.
Baloch sardars have been doing what their great grandfathers did during the time of the Mughals to the British Empire. although a lot of time effort and good money has been spent by Indians but there is just not enough steam in the insurgency

granted they kill few civilians, blow up some grids and get prime time appearances in the Western media news channels but thats pretty much it.
the ethnic makeup of Baluchistan doesnt allow for what my Indian commentators are wishing here to happen.
even within Baloch ethnicity there are people who quietly celebrated on the death of Akbar Bughti who had his minions drag the dead bodies of their loved ones for seeking Government support regarding the ownership and mining rights.

I guess you misunderstood my post.. All I was saying was that all insurgencies like the one in Balochistan are driven by selfish interests where the rich politicians use the common, poor and deprived man's misfortunes to con him into fighting a misguided war for their selfish interests..

no dear I didnt.
just being lazy I put another point across as well
sorry for the confusion

Baloch insurgents are often portrayed by the Pakistani left as a bulwark against the forces of religious extremism in the province bordering Southern Afghanistan. Calling them secular just because they denounce Taliban and al-Qaeda is scholarly biased and ethically unfair. Apart from separating state from religious institutions, secularism also entails a movement toward modernization.

Source: Baloch insurgency faces uncertain future

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...ncy-faces-uncertain-future.html#ixzz22yYR1efk

The bold statement is so true. I couldnt find better words. Most of the contributors on Express Tribune and DAwn fall in this category. They are intellectually dishonest and slaves of the western viewpoint.

Source: Baloch insurgency faces uncertain future

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...ncy-faces-uncertain-future.html#ixzz22yYR1efk

The bold statement is so true. I couldnt find better words. Most of the contributors on Express Tribune and DAwn fall in this category. They are intellectually dishonest and slaves of the western viewpoint.

main fallout is directed on FC action which only came after the Same Sardars enjoying the fruits inside or outside the government failed to deliver

well they didnt fail

there was never any intention.

somebody look up the political leadership in the present and past Baluchistan governments and tell me if anyone of them is Not ethnic Baloch?
they got elected by their "subjects" after all

the least they could do was stop killing the rival tribesmen whenever they were in the Govt.

The problem here is India & US are openly supporting terrorism & these terrorists in Balochistan, India & US both are providing Intel for them where to strike, training, weapons & rented man power. The good thing here is these terrorists are only 2% in the whole province & they are alone no one supports them inside Balochistan province & small patriotic groups are already fighting these terrorists.

So the question is if the size of these corrupt, evil, terrorist people is only 2% then why US & India are showing interest in Balochistan? Answer they want to destroy Pakistan & capture all the mineral sources of Pakistan. US was very upset when Gen. Musharraf gave Gawadar contract & search for mineral sources contract to China, US was trying very hard to get this contract but good move by Gen. Musharraf by giving it to China.

Bottom line is terrorism in Balochistan is fully supported by US & India, openly.

The problem here is India & US are openly supporting terrorism & these terrorists in Balochistan, India & US both are providing Intel for them where to strike, training, weapons & rented man power. The good thing here is these terrorists are only 2% in the whole province & they are alone no one supports them inside Balochistan province & small patriotic groups are already fighting these terrorists.

So the question is if the size of these corrupt, evil, terrorist people is only 2% then why US & India are showing interest in Balochistan? Answer they want to destroy Pakistan & capture all the mineral sources of Pakistan. US was very upset when Gen. Musharraf gave Gawadar contract & search for mineral sources contract to China, US was trying very hard to get this contract but good move by Gen. Musharraf by giving it to China.

Bottom line is terrorism in Balochistan is fully supported by US & India, openly.
We don't want your resources, only Afghanistan's and want to create consistent inner turmoil in Pakistan along with denial of Arabian sea to China. How does that sound ?

You know why these people are being used, either few of them feel oppressed or few of them are doing this for money. Don't put entire blame on us. There has been flaws in your domestic policies too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom