What's new

Azerbaijanis uneasy about Turkey's condolences to Armenians

atatwolf

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
184061_newsdetail.jpg
Prime Minister Erdoğan (R) responds to questions from reporters during a joint press conference with Azerbaijani President Aliyev in November 2013. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
April 25, 2014, Friday/ 17:59:25/ LAMİYA ADİLGIZI/ BAKU

Azerbaijanis are highly concerned and disappointed with condolences Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan delivered to Armenians on behalf of Turks for the 1915 mass killing of Armenians during World War I, and they consider Erdoğan's statement a second challenge to the Turkish-Azerbaijani kinship under his 11-year-rule, after the Zurich protocols.
Turkey for the first time set an unexpected precedent on Wednesday when Erdoğan's government offered condolences to the grandchildren of Armenians who were killed in 1915, an act that most Armenians believe was perpetrated by Ottoman soldiers in World War I.

The contents of the prime minister's statement, released in nine languages -- including Armenian -- a day before the 99th anniversary of the 1915 killings, which the Armenians refer to as genocide, was something Turkey had never before seen. The highly debated killings of 1915 were, for the first time, named by Erdoğan as events that produced “inhumane consequences" -- the most conciliatory wording both Turks and the Western community have ever heard used by the Turkish leadership in reference to the killings.

Erdoğan's statement had repercussions all over the world, drawing a positive reaction from Washington -- although Azerbaijanis and the nation of Armenia were not satisfied, for different reasons.

US State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said at a press briefing on Wednesday that the US welcomes Erdoğan's historic public acknowledgment of the suffering that Armenians experienced in 1915. The website of Armenian President Serzh Sarksyan posted remarks that same day calling Erdoğan's statement an “utter denial” of what Armenians believe was a genocide committed by the Ottomans 99 years ago.

"The Armenian genocide … is alive as far as the successor of the Ottoman Turkey continues its policy of utter denial," Sarksyan said, according to an English translation on the site.

The Armenian diaspora in the US also did not show much approval for Erdoğan's remarks, with US-based Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) Executive Director Aram Hamparian calling them “cold-hearted and cynical” and an act of avoiding “responsibility for the Armenian genocide.”

Marking the 99th anniversary of the 1915 killings, Armenians in Yerevan burned the Turkish flag in the capital's Liberty Square late Wednesday.

But with Azerbaijani territories still under occupation and the painful past of the Nagorno-Karabakh war, which Azerbaijanis associate with the Armenians, still a part of public consciousness, the head of the Caucasian Center for International Relations and Strategic Studies, Araz Aslanlı, said in an interview with Today's Zaman that a majority of Azerbaijanis emotionally and unilaterally do not accept Erdoğan's remarks on the 1915 killings.

“Any step taken by Turkey in favor of Armenia reminds Azerbaijanis of the Zurich protocols and, if the situation continues, the sensitivity of Azerbaijanis might extensively rise,” Aslanlı said. “Any tiny step in Turkish-Armenian ties might cause serious problems in Turkish-Azerbaijani relations.”

When asked if Turkey would open its border with Armenia in order to establish diplomatic relations, Erdoğan stressed that without a solution on some issues, such as Nagorno-Karabakh, Turkey would not approve moves to open the border.

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu echoed Erdoğan and said the prime minister's statement is a message to Armenians that Turks are attempting to acknowledge their pain.

A young Azerbaijani called out to Erdoğan from central Baku, urging the prime minister to stop driving a wedge between Turks and Azerbaijanis with what he called “nonsense."

“It does not make any sense. Erdoğan's condolences are unconditional recognition of the Armenian genocide. It does not suit the Turks, when we have a wound such as Nagorno-Karabakh,” 28-year-old Veli, who declined to provide his last name, said to Today's Zaman.

Another young Azerbaijani man, Elçin Hesenli, said he does not believe the Turkish prime minister is concerned with Azerbaijanis and the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict at all. He is “only interested in Azerbaijan's natural resources [oil and gas],” Hesenli said.

Turkey is an energy dependent country that meets 92 percent of its oil and 98 percent of its natural gas demand through imports. In collaborating with Azerbaijan, an energy rich country in the region, Turkey has been working to diversify its energy supply routes and source countries.

Semed Hüseynov, 29, says Erdoğan's condolences to Armenians were calculated to gain him votes in the August presidential election.

A middle-aged Azerbaijani who did not want to be named sees things from a different perspective; he labels Erdoğan's condolences as a serious message to Azerbaijan, saying they are a result of a disagreement that emerged with the Azerbaijani leadership after the Turkish prime minister paid a visit to Baku to mark his Justice and Development Party's (AK Party) decisive victory in the municipal elections on March 30.

As of yet, no reaction has come from the Azerbaijani government.

The 1915 killings are one of the most debated issues that strain political ties between Turkey and Armenia. Armenia considers the death of more than 1 million Armenians during World War I to be genocide, while Turkey dismisses this claim, saying that there was an ongoing war at the time and that many Muslims and members of other ethnicities, along with the Armenians living in the Ottoman Empire, also died in battles and clashes. This controversy has been one of the main hindrances in preventing diplomatic ties between Turks and Armenians from being normalized.

Turkey and Armenia were supposed to open their borders and establish a commission to study the 1915 event academically based on the Zurich protocols, signed in October 2009 to normalize ties between the two nations.

The move was not successful as the Turks said that before it would open its borders Armenia must stop its conflict with Azerbaijan, Turkey's staunch ally in the region, over Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijani territory occupied by Armenia in the early 1990s.

Turkey sealed off its border with Armenia in 1993 in solidarity with Azerbaijan after Armenian troops occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories, including Nagorno-Karabakh, which is a predominantly Armenian populated enclave in Azerbaijan, and seven other adjacent territories.

Today's Zaman, your gateway to Turkish daily news

Nothing to apologise for. I dont see us saying sorry to the british or french for their casualties in the war.

This was to be expected.
But im not really shocked about it since Erdogan also has a low opinion about Shia muslims in general

This was to be expected.
But im not really shocked about it since Erdogan also has a low opinion about Shia muslims in general
After Erdogan won his elections, the first place he visited was Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan is closest ally to us, but I don't know why they try to kiss up Armenians. We will never normalize relations with them.

I noticed such accusations of Erdogan saying sorry in some western media too. They should translate better or stop twisting words. as far as i know there wasn't any 'apologize', rather it was more in the line of 'we both suffered'. that's not an apology. Or did i mis some part of the speech where he explicitly stated that?
edit; but i dont believe that Armenians are sincere to us, never will. So, I'd like to see Armenia locked up, shut down the borders. send those illegal armenians back to Armenia in order to drain their economy. Azerbaijian and Turkey should start campaigning on spreading the Khojaly genocide to the world.

I noticed such accusations of Erdogan saying sorry in some western media too. They should translate better or stop twisting words. as far as i know there wasn't any 'apologize', rather it was more in the line of 'we both suffered'. that's not an apology. Or did i mis some part of the speech where he explicitly stated that?
edit; but i dont believe that Armenians are sincere to us, never will. So, I'd like to see Armenia locked up, shut down the borders. send those illegal armenians back to Armenia in order to drain their economy. Azerbaijian and Turkey should start campaigning on spreading the Khojaly genocide to the world.

This speech of Erdogan, gave me another reason to dislike him and his party even more. I am hoping for a CHP or MHP government in Turkey.
Anyway, do you have any authentic source of his speech? Can you provide translation for this part of his speech? Thanks

agreed
really like that Azerbaijan stepped up its efforts about the Khojaly

c1T8wRi.jpg

This speech of Erdogan, gave me another reason to dislike him and his party even more. I am hoping for a CHP or MHP government in Turkey.
Anyway, do you have any authentic source of his speech? Can you provide translation for this part of his speech? Thanks

He basically said 'during those times all Ottoman subjects, whether Turks, Kurds, Armenians, muslims, christians etc., suffered and we share that common pain. But we do refuse genocide claims, which is used as a political tool against Turkey'
I think Erdogan's aim was to win sympathy from the world and make clear that it is not only Armenians who suffered during those times. Yet i saw some European news yesterday which wrote things like 'Erdogan apologized' while they left out big chunk of his message about other ethnicities too.

But, i don't believe Erdogan is just turning against Azerbaijian. Here is another video with subtitles in English where he mentions about Khojaly too.

agreed
really like that Azerbaijan stepped up its efforts about the Khojaly

c1T8wRi.jpg
im surprised. guess the Armenian lobby isn't that strong, it seems.

He basically said 'during those times all Ottoman subjects, whether Turks, Kurds, Armenians, muslims, christians etc., suffered and we share that common pain. But we do refuse genocide claims, which is used as a political tool against Turkey'
I think Erdogan's aim was to win sympathy from the world and make clear that it is not only Armenians who suffered during those times. Yet i saw some European news yesterday which wrote things like 'Erdogan apologized' while they left out big chunk of his message about other ethnicities too.

But, i don't believe Erdogan is just turning against Azerbaijian. Here is another video with subtitles in English where he mentions about Khojaly too.

im surprised. guess the Armenian lobby isn't that strong, it seems.
:tup:
Biggest lobbies in US are social security and insurance companies related lobby, and after that jews have a strong lobby as well. Armenian lobby is not comparable with these lobbies. IMO, The best way for Azerbaijanis to have influence in white house is allying with jews. I am sure jews would be really interested in such a relations, since it gives them, and Israel more trade, export, and a big market, and also influence in the neighboring countries of mullahs.

Azeri leader defends Turkey against Armenia

President Ilham Aliyev backs Turkey and accuses Armenia of not wanting peace in the Caucasus

BAKU, Azerbaijan

Azeri President Ilham Aliyev has backed Turkey against a claim by Armenia's leader that Turkey cannot be a part of the European Union unless it opens its border crossing with his country.

Aliyev said during the EU’s Eastern Partnership meeting in the Czech capital of Prague on Friday: “Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan had offered to open archives on the 1915 incidents a couple of years ago. But Armenia did not respond positively.

"Erdogan has expressed his condolences over the Armenian people who lost their lives. But again Armenia did not reply positively.”

He added that Armenia’s response to Turkey showed who did not want peace in the region.

The details behind the incidents in 1915 continue to be a contentious issue between Turkey and Armenia which has kept relations sour between the two neighbors.

- Well received message

The 1915 incidents took place during World War I when a portion of the Armenian population living in the Ottoman Empire sided with the invading Russians and uprose against the Ottoman authority. The uprisings were followed by a relocation decision of the Ottoman Empire concerning Armenians living in eastern Anatolia.

Turkey says that both Turks and Armenians died during clashes between Ottoman forces and armed Armenian groups backed by Russia.

Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan’s message has been well received by Armenians living in Turkey’s southeastern region.

Vartkes Ayik, President of the Foundation of Surp Giragos Armenian Church, told Anadolu Agency that no one could change the incidents that happened a hundred years ago, but added necessary measures should be taken to prevent history repeating itself.

Retired teacher Aziz Yaman from Turkey’s Diyarbakir city praised Erdogan’s statement, adding: “We can discuss whether this statement is sufficient or not. But this is a beginning. We hope that steps in that direction will be taken.”

Azeri leader defends Turkey against Armenia Anadolu Agency

Azeri leader defends Turkey against Armenia

President Ilham Aliyev backs Turkey and accuses Armenia of not wanting peace in the Caucasus

BAKU, Azerbaijan

Azeri President Ilham Aliyev has backed Turkey against a claim by Armenia's leader that Turkey cannot be a part of the European Union unless it opens its border crossing with his country.

Aliyev said during the EU’s Eastern Partnership meeting in the Czech capital of Prague on Friday: “Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan had offered to open archives on the 1915 incidents a couple of years ago. But Armenia did not respond positively.

"Erdogan has expressed his condolences over the Armenian people who lost their lives. But again Armenia did not reply positively.”

He added that Armenia’s response to Turkey showed who did not want peace in the region.

The details behind the incidents in 1915 continue to be a contentious issue between Turkey and Armenia which has kept relations sour between the two neighbors.

- Well received message

The 1915 incidents took place during World War I when a portion of the Armenian population living in the Ottoman Empire sided with the invading Russians and uprose against the Ottoman authority. The uprisings were followed by a relocation decision of the Ottoman Empire concerning Armenians living in eastern Anatolia.

Turkey says that both Turks and Armenians died during clashes between Ottoman forces and armed Armenian groups backed by Russia.

Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan’s message has been well received by Armenians living in Turkey’s southeastern region.

Vartkes Ayik, President of the Foundation of Surp Giragos Armenian Church, told Anadolu Agency that no one could change the incidents that happened a hundred years ago, but added necessary measures should be taken to prevent history repeating itself.

Retired teacher Aziz Yaman from Turkey’s Diyarbakir city praised Erdogan’s statement, adding: “We can discuss whether this statement is sufficient or not. But this is a beginning. We hope that steps in that direction will be taken.”

Azeri leader defends Turkey against Armenia Anadolu Agency
This leads me to beieve they first consulted Azerbaijan before making that statement.

Back
Top Bottom