What's new

Anti-terror war has paralysed Pakistan economy, US told

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Anti-terror war has paralysed Pakistan economy, US told

LAHORE: President Asif Ali Zardari said on Friday that the US-led war against terrorism in the region and the consequent violence in Pakistan had almost paralysed the country’ economy.

The president was talking to a US delegation led by the Special Envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke. US Ambassador Anne W. Patterson was also present.

The president said that Pakistan’s industrial growth and export potential had been severely restricted — first, because the region was a theatre of war against a rival ideology in the past, and second, because of rising militancy in the country as a consequence of the first.

According a handout, Mr Zardari criticised new US measures for screening Pakistanis at airports and said the policy had triggered a “negative social and political impact” in Pakistan.

According to the president’s press secretary Taimoor Azmat Usman, Mr Zardari told the American delegation that the policy had “generated disappointing and damaging response” in Pakistan. “These (screening) procedures are no doubt derogatory for the people of Pakistan,” he added.

Expressing his “personal concern” over the new screening policy, Mr Holbrooke assured the president that the decision would be reviewed soon.

He said the policy had been framed by the Homeland Security Department, but it would “come under a review shortly”.

Issues relating to drone attacks, war against militancy, reconstruction opportunity zones in Fata, Coalition Support Fund arrears and economic assistance also came under discussion.

The president pointed that drone strikes had undermined the consensus against the war on militancy. He reiterated his government’s demand for transfer of drone technology to Pakistan.

The delegation informed the president that the US administration was clearing $349 million left over from 2008 dues. In addition, $1.4 billion in dues of 2009 are going through accounting process and will be released shortly. This should clear all dues under the Coalition Support Fund, they added.

Mr Zardari praised US commitment to Pakistan’s stability, security and prosperity. “It must be based on mutual respect and trust. Democratic stability in Pakistan is contingent upon advancement of our development agenda in which the US and other industrialised countries can play a great role.”

According to the president’s spokesman Farhatullah Babar, Mr Zardari also called for greater access to US and European markets and told the delegation that economic cost of the war against terror had touched a staggering $35 billion.

“Keeping in view the cumulative cost of the war on terror and militancy, Pakistan needs a Marshall Plan-like lifeline to overcome its economic problems and international community must come forward. The Friends of Democratic Pakistan must translate their pledges of economic and financial support to Pakistan into reality,” the president was reported to have told the delegation.

Mr Zardari also sought “preferential treatment” for Pakistani goods because it was in a state of war on behalf of the international community. He said that although US laws linked tariff regime to the level of development of the exporting country, Pakistan should be exempted because of its special circumstances resulting from the war on terror.

The US officials said they understood the arguments, but such matters needed time-consuming legislation. “The process has already begun.”

The US, they added, was also expediting the legislative process for creating reconstruction opportunity zones and some kind of preferential tariff regime for goods from Pakistan.

The president was assisted by Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Malik Hammad, President’s Secretary General Salman Farooqui and Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Anti-terror war has paralysed Pakistan economy, US told

Well,
pakistani economy is hurt because terrorism is down worldwide, not because of WOT.
After all, terrorists and related services were the pakistan's biggest export. :) :)

Well,
pakistani economy is hurt because terrorism is down worldwide, not because of WOT.
After all, terrorists and related services were the pakistan's biggest export. :) :)

You mean more like India importing terror into Pakistan from terror camps in Afghanistan. :disagree:

Well,

Dont be such a hater listen to your dumb words you are perfect example of hate lol dude he is saying nothing wring wot has effected 110% on the country and if it was in your country or any other country you would have the same effect. In anycase terrorist & related services where Pakistan's biggest export? :cheesy: wat ever you getting high on let me know man make some sense rather then using hateful words wat are you a little kid grow up talk like man talk about peace and friendship stop hating :angry:

Well,

Dude.. Inflammatory post.. not nice..

You mean more like India importing terror into Pakistan from terror camps in Afghanistan. :disagree:

I dont see any UN backed forces attacking any terrorist camps in India. Oh! wait... they are doing that in Pakistan....

Friend, the 1st step in solving a problem is to admit that there is a problem. If you always try and find someone else to blame, you may win a few verbal duels, but your problem( which in this case are these damn terrorists) will stay..

I dont see any UN backed forces attacking any terrorist camps in India. Oh! wait... they are doing that in Pakistan....

Friend, the 1st step in solving a problem is to admit that there is a problem. If you always try and find someone else to blame, you may win a few verbal duels, but your problem( which in this case are these damn terrorists) will stay..

If you consider CIA controlled drones part of UN forces, feel sorry for your knowledge.

And do remember, in Afghanistan there are two kind of forces, one is the NATO ones, working with UN mandate, 2nd are the independent US forces, with no link to UN or NATO, they are independent with a separate commander and command structure.

Half of the US forces are non-ISAF.

We admit that terror emanates from Afghanistan into Pakistan. What else is there to admit? This is a fact. At least admit that you're running terror camps in Afghanistan. I'm not here to win a verbal duel. I'm here to state facts. Whether I deny facts won't change the reality. The same applies to you.

Dont be such a hater listen to your dumb words you are perfect example of hate lol dude he is saying nothing wring wot has effected 110% on the country and if it was in your country or any other country you would have the same effect. In anycase terrorist & related services where Pakistan's biggest export? :cheesy: wat ever you getting high on let me know man make some sense rather then using hateful words wat are you a little kid grow up talk like man talk about peace and friendship stop hating :angry:

"Peace and Friendship" is to be cultivated and it need good intentions.
It can not be demanded.
If pakistan is serious about them, stop protecting 26/11 and other masterminds and discard terror as state policy.
How would U justify rockets being fired from pakistan to India and upon confrontation , pak authorities insisting them being fired by " non state actors". Either they are telling lie ( no intention of "peace and friendship") or are incapable to contain the "organisations"
If 1st case is true, I don't need to elobrate. If 2nd is true, then talking "peace and friendship" to a spineless gov/entity, which can not enforce rule of law in it's own country, is futile.
Let there be a rule of law in pakistan and then India can talk to some one responsible ( gov. or army).:cheers:
Till then, let me grow up a little more.:azn:
Above are my personal views.

If you consider CIA controlled drones part of UN forces, feel sorry for your knowledge.

And do remember, in Afghanistan there are two kind of forces, one is the NATO ones, working with UN mandate, 2nd are the independent US forces, with no link to UN or NATO, they are independent with a separate commander and command structure.

Half of the US forces are non-ISAF.

I am sorry that you are sorry.. Though I did say UN backed forces and not UN forces. These CIA operatives function from the same areas that are controlled by ISAF. The fact that the ISAF allows them to do that from within their controlled area means an implicit backing.

We admit that terror emanates from Afghanistan into Pakistan. What else is there to admit? This is a fact. At least admit that you're running terror camps in Afghanistan. I'm not here to win a verbal duel. I'm here to state facts. Whether I deny facts won't change the reality. The same applies to you.

A lot of the world (including humble me) believes that the direction of terror flow is other way round.

Agree 100% on niether of us being able to influence/change reality and facts. Its just that both of us have a different view of the facts and only time will tell which version is correct. At this time, it seems a larger population outside of Pakistan agrees with my version.. But hey, a lot of time in history, majorities have been proven wrong.. So there is always hope..

PS: All of the folks on this forum (and most of the other forums about defence ARE engaged in verbal duels as in cases like this one man's fact is another man's trash

cheers

I am sorry that you are sorry.. Though I did say UN backed forces and not UN forces. These CIA operatives function from the same areas that are controlled by ISAF. The fact that the ISAF allows them to do that from within their controlled area means an implicit backing.

Read the full post, Afghanistan is not fully controlled by ISAF. US has bases and areas under control which do not come under ISAF.

Plus when you have a bully around, who is the creator of ISAF and this whole hell, then no one can say no to it. It virtually owns everything as the bully bullied other nations into this hell.

Mr Zardari also sought “preferential treatment” for Pakistani goods because it was in a state of war on behalf of the international community. He said that although US laws linked tariff regime to the level of development of the exporting country, Pakistan should be exempted because of its special circumstances resulting from the war on terror.

The US officials said they understood the arguments, but such matters needed time-consuming legislation. “The process has already begun.”

The US, they added, was also expediting the legislative process for creating reconstruction opportunity zones and some kind of preferential tariff regime for goods from Pakistan.

The president was assisted by Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Malik Hammad, President’s Secretary General Salman Farooqui and Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Anti-terror war has paralysed Pakistan economy, US told

He cant be serious.

he is never going to get anything solid on that

Read the full post, Afghanistan is not fully controlled by ISAF. US has bases and areas under control which do not come under ISAF.

Plus when you have a bully around, who is the creator of ISAF and this whole hell, then no one can say no to it. It virtually owns everything as the bully bullied other nations into this hell.

Thats true.. In most cases once US manages to push something thru the UN, UN backed and US backed can be used interchangably since for all intents and purpose, in Afghanistan, US is the UN

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom