What's new

“Another school girl from Swat threatened by Taliban”

Azazel

Reaction score
“Another school girl from Swat threatened by Taliban”

hina_khan_press_670.jpg

Hina Khan speaks at a press conference in 2009.

PESHAWAR: Following the deadly attack on activist Malala Yousafzai a few weeks ago, another schoolgirl from Swat, Hina Khan who was a pioneer in raising her voice publicly against Taliban atrocities in the Malakand Valley, is now also claiming to be on the Taliban’s hit list. What has been further worrisome for her family is that despite repeated requests for security, they claim no steps have been taken to provide protection to them after they fled from Swat and moved to Islamabad.

The teenaged Hina Khan, a student of Class 11, had publicly denounced militants’ atrocities in 2009.

“I had left Swat with my family because the militants had threatened girls’ education there but now I feel I would not be able to go to school in Islamabad as well after these renewed threats,” Khan told Dawn.com.

Hina held a press conference at the National Press Club in 2008 after her friends in Swat told her that the militants were becoming further intolerant towards girls seeking education and had started bombing schools as well.

“I raised my voice publicly to save their future,” she stated.

Khan, along with some other students had also taken out a peace rally at the Jinnah Supper Market in Islamabad to draw attention towards the Swati womens’ problems.

“I am more worried now because after the attack on Malala, this red cross appearing on our door and subsequent threats to my family has made us more insecure,” Khan said.

Khan claims that she fears not being able to attend school even in Islamabad, since she was receiving threats warning her that she would be targeted or kidnapped.

Khan’s father Raitullah Khan told Dawn.com that he was very worried about his family after his wife Farhat, a social worker, also started receiving threatening calls since August this year. He claimed that she had previously also received threats.

About the renewed threats and the family worries, Raituallah said, “A few days ago when I came out of my house I saw a red cross on my gate but I removed it assuming it might have been drawn by some kids, but the very next day it appeared again which really terrified me.”

hina_house_670.jpg

A red cross marked on Hina Khan’s residence.

The next day, he claimed, “we received a call that Hina will be next after Malala. We have already been fighting death since many years when my wife started speaking for women rights and girls’ education.”

Khan’s mother, Farhat, who used to be a human rights and social activist, had worked for the women empowerment in Swat for more than a decade.

“I received a call from a land line PTCL number with Peshawar’s area code and the callers threatened to target Hina and my family and said that we would not spared,” claimed Farhat.

“Mullah Fazlullah led militants had even sent us death threats on their FM Radio after a huge handicraft exhibition of Swat women was arranged in 2006 to promote their work but now these threats are coming with more force after Malala’s incident.”

Farhat said that her children remain at home now as she has not been letting them out of the house to attend school.

“I had personally tried to contact and speak to the Interior Minister Rehman Malik and had also forwarded an application to the Interior Ministry personally, as well as through minority Senator Amar Jeet Singh but nothing concrete happened.”

Farhat said that they moved to Islamabad in 2006 after receiving the threats but were now being haunted by renewed ones.

Farhat, who was then running a non-governmental organisation had arranged a handicraft expo in 2006 for the Swati women which was inaugurated by the than federal minister Sumera Malik. The family had been on the hit list ever since, she claimed.

Raitullah said that the interior minister had just forwarded their application to a senior police officer, seeking a report on the incident on October 10 but nothing practical had come about. The police said that they needed clear cut orders for deployment and could not act much on reports.

Raitullah argued that it was strange that when someone being threatened is requesting security, the authorities don’t bother to do anything but as soon as something big happens they start rushing.

“We are almost being held as hostages inside our house. I want security for my three daughters, two sons and my wife so they can live freely,” he added.

Raitullah said they had been changing residences in Islamabad frequently.

“My family and kids need security, we need nothing else.”

“Another school girl from Swat threatened by Taliban” | DAWN.COM

Well the government should provide protection for the girl.

In Germany they had the support of the people and the Government. The question is do the terrorists have the same support in the region?

the Afghan-based TTP faction is feeling the heat...the outcry over Malala has been so great and so loud.

all they can do is do a few more of their cowardly attacks --out of sheer frustration. It's the duty of the police and the local administration to provide boosted security to the schools --even if it means bringing forces from other localities for reinforcement.

the pupils going to school to receive education and make them stronger people is the best revenge.....the enemies of Pakistan and their backers/financiers will get what's coming to them; hopefully SOONER than later

In Germany they had the support of the people and the Government. The question is do the terrorists have the same support in the region?

nowhere near that kind of support; which is why it's peculiar to juxtapose this situation with that of nazi germany!

all it takes is a few people to monitor people's movements, ascertain ways to get in contact with them, etc. the enemy we are fighting isn't dumb; they also have ways to get information...and they clearly have the motivation to be violent

the numbers should be traced; the family should be put under protection provided by either Fed or Provincial govt. (or both) and the girl should continue her education without fear

This tells you a lot about the Taliban, that they are intimidated by an 11 year old girl...

Terrorists have full support from CIA & her allies.

This is pure mind games & pressure from the CIA’s tool TTP on Pakistan Army directly, US wants Pakistan Army to start operation in NWA at all coasts & now even most of the politicians are supporting operation in NWA it because of their own personal interests. The longer the Pak Army stays engaged in NWA the better it is for the corrupt & criminal politicians because they don’t have to worry about Military Coup or Martial Law.

So I hope there is NO operation in NWA. The only way to save Pakistan right now is for Pak Army to take over clean the political mess & prepare the country for the elections & it should be under the Army supervision so that there can be no fraud or cheating, most importantly Pakistan Army after taking over needs to cut free from shackles of US. US Embassy & US Consulate today are the main source of terror & chaos in Pakistan.

Cut & stop all ties with US, Pakistan WILL MOVE FORWARD.

Taliban bunch of cowards going after children. They kill/attack children then stand in their circles and feel like big men. Truly truly cowards. May Allah have the depths of Hell reserved for them.

AMEEN & may ALLAH punish their masters, AMEEN.

taliban should focus on nato occupation and leave the people alone they dont have the right to tell people what to do and if they act this way they will fail even after kicking NATO out of afganstan

taliban should focus on nato occupation and leave the people alone they dont have the right to tell people what to do and if they act this way they will fail even after kicking NATO out of afganstan

the taleban factions and their affiliates may see a clash of ideologies and approach post-NATO

in Egypt (a country dear to us) the Ikhwan and the Salafists (el-Nour) are divided along many lines.....in taleban you have people who are more like ikhwan (conservative but more 'moderate') and then those more like salafists (anti-music, anti-art, insist on Shariah law without even being able to define or come to a broad national consensus on what it exactly entails)

in the former case however, they have lived in an environment of constant civil war since the 1970s/80s and beyond; they only knew fighting b/c it's all they've witnessed; they only know armed resistance b/c it's all they've been trained to do....

Its funny how some group of grown up well built talibanese with ak47's in their hand are threatened by the kids :rofl:
Jo bade nahi kar paaye , chote ne kar ke dikhaya ;)

Back
Top Bottom