What's new

After Mars mission, India plans manned moon mission

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for a manned moon mission, sources told Headlines Today on Friday.

The mission comes days after ISRO successfully launched Rs.450 crore Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) in November using its Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-XL).

According to sources, the MoD has tasked the Indian Air Force (IAF) to identify the qualitative requirements for the crew. The Director General of Armed Forces Medical Services is to draw out the requirements.
The process will include identifying five "most suitable" men for the mission.

Former IAF officer Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma was the first Indian to travel in space in 1984.

After Mars mission, India plans manned moon mission : North, News - India Today

not that late. 2015 to 2020 is the timeline
No it's not the correct timeline. recently I read somewhere that starting next year India can only achieve it in 10 years.
Hope they do it fast.

not that late. 2015 to 2020 is the timeline

Well that's pretty unrealistic for the 12th Five Year Plan has nothing relevant to a Manned Spaceflight let alone a Manned Moon Mission - No funds are going to be allocated for it as ISRO is already preoccupied with IRNSS, Chandrayaan II, GSLV Mark III, Remote Sensing and Heavy Communication Satellites Projects....

ISRO chief Shri K. Radhakrishnan, also Secretary in the Department of Space and Chairman of Space Commission has already made it quite clear:-

“We have not declared it as a programme. We must have a reliable, man-rated vehicle (GSLV). Both are important. We are not going to see the human spaceflight as a programme in the 12th plan. We will see may be later. It has to be seen after that

Source:- Human space flight mission off ISRO priority list - The Hindu

Well on a personal note I would prefer our space programme to be economy oriented only as it is today. Spending Billions merely for a "National Pride" like thing is not preferred for a developing economy and I am really proud that today we have the most economical and economy oriented space programme across the globe - It took just $ 10 billion since the inception of ISRO to get what all we have today.....

Rather the idea of a Space lab or Space Station would be better - I think we got to achieve the same by 2030 positively.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom