What's new

A letter of apology to traveller who expected cows at Metro stations

xTra

Reaction score
Country
India
Dear traveller,

We Indians have grown a skin so thick over time that even the most disparaging remarks about our complex lifestyle, our grimy Hobbit holes, abominable personal hygiene and lack of population control fail to rile us. But that's no excuse for us to disappoint guests who come looking for the 'Complete Indian Experience' and feel cheated if our infrastructure contradicts paragraph 23 or page 345 of your 'What to Expect When You Are In India' travel guide.

No matter. We live and die by our 'atithi devo bhava' motto, which roughly translates to 'we are glad you are spending your foreign currency at our great and ancient country instead of filthy Malaysia and we can promise any experience you want.'

It explains the mixed feelings with which I read this piece in the Telegraph this morning and felt compelled to respond. Stephen McClarence and his wife were in India and decided to spend a day Delhi Metro hopping. What ensued is a travel piece that is perhaps well-meaning but hilariously outdated and amazingly condescending.

"Clean, fast and efficient, it (the Delhi Metro) cuts congestion in this traffic-choked city, in which horn-honking cars, lorries, buses and motor rickshaws jostle for space on roads sometimes built for bullock carts," McClarence writes.

Technically McClarence isn't wrong. That's the Ministry of Urban Development's agenda for the next Five Year Plan - to build the largest and busiest bullock cart road network that will be the pride of Asia. And God knows it might be grim reality one day going by the state of our roads.

I almost feel warm affection for McClarence for how he describes the Delhi Metro stations. He writes: "The platforms are wide and litter-free. No cows wander nonchalantly along them, as they do at Indian railway stations."

Well, what can I say? It's never easy to arrange for cows at such short notice and hauling them up through the metal detecting gates and tight security is a bloody nuisance.

"At the bottom of the escalators, we are briskly frisked by armed guards and our bags are scanned. Crowds are surging towards the platforms, but in an orderly way, with organised queues to board some trains: amazing in a country where someone once defined a queue as a scrum 30 people wide and one person deep," he writes.

I invite you to our Annual Sabarimala Stampede Day. It's fun.

The country hick's approach to travelling across India was amusing when we didn't have indigenous aircraft carriers, nuclear weapons or deep-space programmes that cost only a third of its American counterparts. Well, truth be told we have little else.

Yet, Indians are inherently polite (don't go by this article). So while the brown-skinned traveller or one with the unfamiliar last name can trigger a security alarm at the airport elsewhere, in our country all forms and classes of tourists are free to bargain for ethnic ware, choose their travel route and share their experiences - fraught with dangerous generalisations - with the world.

Do we have nagging beggars, unscrupulous travel agents, rapist auto-rickshaw drivers? Of course we do. But we love your wide-eyed appreciation for our progress from cave dwellers to builders of clean and functional Metros.

We owe you a cow.

A letter of apology to traveller who expected cows at Metro stations

Has it occurred to anyone that Indians are nowadays very fast to take offense ?

I agree that things are changing in India and many foreigners are reluctant to accept these changes, but still...we(as a whole) never got pissed at these issues earlier.

@Abingdonboy

Go ahead take to the offence if someone is deliberately stupid.

The media is biased in the west. It still is 50 years behind.

Instead paying no attention to them; take the abuser to task.

Gentle Gandhism does not work, when you are surrounded by enemies.

Has it occurred to anyone that Indians are nowadays very fast to take offense ?

I agree that things are changing in India and many foreigners are reluctant to accept these changes, but still...we(as a whole) never got pissed at these issues earlier.

@Abingdonboy
I get what you're saying but then I get what this guys is saying also. Having a thick skin is one thing but I guess it is that it riles many Indians that they don't get their dues. India is changing at a rapid pace but most in the West still see India by the same tired cliches. Fair enough if some Indians (who actually live in the country) get irked when a foreigner comes into their nation and is surprised India isn't the same as it was 20-30 years ago!

I get what you're saying but then I get what this guys is saying also. Having a thick skin is one thing but I guess it is that it riles many Indians that they don't get their dues. India is changing at a rapid pace but most in the West still see India by the same tired cliches. Fair enough if some Indians (who actually live in the country) get irked when a foreigner comes into their nation and is surprised India isn't the same as it was 20-30 years ago!
The only point was had the same thing happened 20 years earlier - that is had a foreigner come to India 30 years back(1980) and then thought India was the same of 1947, Indians of then would not have been so indignant as they are now.

There is progress, Im just talking about the attitude or psychology of Indians that has changed. We are now more - arrogant/confidant/quick to take offense - take your pick.

Maybe we dont realize it. Dunno..maybe ask an expat or heck a Pakistani - they'd have some interesting insight into it.

Very good article

Hope all major stations in India become as posh as Delhi Metro Stations

Stations in Navi Mumbai are already very good.

Back
Top Bottom