What's new

$526M contract awarded to build 4th Constellation class frigate

Contract price including all equipment of the ship? If it is the total contract value of all purchases, I wonder to what extent the MoD was able to achieve a cost advantage with this project model. Is it possible to give a percentage rate?

In fact, I hope to gain some insight into the cost differences between project development and production in the USA, project development in Europe and production in the USA/EU, and project development with US partners and local production in Far Asia.

Contract price including all equipment of the ship? If it is the total contract value of all purchases, I wonder to what extent the MoD was able to achieve a cost advantage with this project model. Is it possible to give a percentage rate?

In fact, I hope to gain some insight into the cost differences between project development and production in the USA, project development in Europe and production in the USA/EU, and project development with US partners and local production in Far Asia.
Contract price are for the tooling and manufacturing of the ship, US Defence contract gave out in batch, one of tooling and one for equipment. A single Constellation Class frigate cost between 800-900 millions

On the other hand, US Defences Article acquisition is very different than around the world (well, I actually don't know around the word but different than in Sweden, Australia and the UK) To which they pay for everything first. and then gradually less and less to make sure the production line is not affected, instead of financing the entire project from top to bottom, which mean there may not be an "Optioned" order", not saying you cannot order more, but it is more open ended rather than you set a side a nest egg for the entire project. Also, it will make the first ship very expensive (The first Constellation cost 1.2 billions) and the last couple of the ship cheap. It's the same for Aircraft, Tank and Ship.

Inflation... there been times when USA paid $2B per a whole aircraft carrier

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom