What's new

ZF-05 Objective Individual Combat Weapon, 5.8 mm Heavy and 20 mm Airburst

tanlixiang28776

Reaction score
26_1129_f5baf0eed64d328-1.jpg

26_1129_53abe719c48b32f-1.jpg

This came off a export exhibit.

The ZH-05 is a weapon that comes closest to fulfilling the the OICW specifications.

Four things plague OICW systems from becoming commonly used.

Weight: Around 5 kg. This weight is not too heavy compared to the 6.1 kg K-11 and 6.8 kg XM-29

Price: Should be much cheaper than previous OICW simply on the merit it is produced in China. Doubtful it'll cost below 3,000 dollars. While cheap compared to the 14,000 dollar K-11 or 25,000 dollar XM-25 it will still be much more expensive than the type 95 or type 03.

Reliability: A core problem with OICWs is the delicate electronic sights. The type 05 looks to have less advanced but more rugged sights.

Deadliness: The 20x28 mm round has doubtful lethality due to it having to in fit electronics as well as explosives. Hopefully miniaturization of electronics has solved most of this problem as well as making a larger round like a 20x32 round.

Worst case scenario: Given to Spec Ops, and other elite infantry like Marines or Airborne.

Best case scenario: Given to one or two soldiers in every squad.

Who we should sell to: Pakistan, South Asian countries, South American countries, and Middle Eastern countries.

mods cross 1993 has agreed to let me start a new thread. please take previous posts and place them here.

Apparently the type 95 has made it into secondary units and all frontline troops now are armed with the type 03 and type 95. So I'm guessing this baby might start making its way into units like the airborne first (as it might be too heavy/clunky for Spec Op). The airborne could use the mobile firepower.

Apparently the type 95 has made it into secondary units and all frontline troops now are armed with the type 03 and type 95. So I'm guessing this baby might start making its way into units like the airborne first (as it might be too heavy/clunky for Spec Op). The airborne could use the mobile firepower.

Hopefully they make it more rugged for the airborne. I wouldn't trust any current OICWs to survive a airborne jump.

A more practical solution is to get rid of that overpriced FCS & simply make it a multi-shot grenade launcher with a carbine attached to it. I think that's what the Aussies did with their interpretation of OICW. As if worrying about ammo supply isn't enough, the soldiers now have to carry 20~30 batteries to ensure all the fancy gadgets don't turn into dead weight.

Here is the Korean OICW. I am not really in love with it (not because it's Korean either)

A 9.8″ barrel is pretty bad for 5.56mm, and that the stress test is less than convincing (delicately dropping from waist height?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its not exactly pleasing to the eye, but it looks usable.

9.8 inches is a bit short if you want to hit anything beyond 300 meters. Good that they kept the rifle barrel on the ZF-05 long. Looks to be at least 16 inches.

If they expect light drops in their service then thats fine with me.

Looks like it packs a bigger punch than the Korean model and the shrapnel is directed down instead of a 360 burst.

Some examples of other Chinese OICW systems.

There are many different such systems in China. Here are only a few examples:

jkwcs.jpg

fljz6.jpg

uc5l9.jpg

xsk79.jpg

wttv0.jpg

7jirb.jpg

kourb.jpg

b8295.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom