What's new

Zero Dark Thirty & Pakistan Image in Western Media

Jackdaws

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Last night I saw the movie Zero Dark Thirty, very well directed by Kathryn Bigelow. A significant amount of it seems to be shot in India - evident from logos on cars - the Maruti logo on an 800 instead of a Suzuki one, cars like Swift Dzire and Gypsy - available only in India and signs on stores - Bhatiasons, Kukreja etc.

No one will dispute the soft power of Hollywood and US television in shaping world opinion in the West. It is amazing how the image of Pakistan has changed in the last 30 years or so. You see movies like Rambo and they are shown as ardent fighters of good, helping the Americans win against the evil Soviets.

And now TV shows like The Last Resort show the Americans nuking Pakistan and this Zero Dark Thirty shows Pakistan as pretty much a banana republic.

The last 15 minutes where they show how Osama was captured is nothing short of brilliant.

But I would like to know from Pakistanis how true is this depiction of Pakistan. After all, not long ago India was portrayed horribly in Hollywood flicks too. India was all about mystic men, snake charmers and poverty.

But given the globalization of today and lesser biases because of global travel - is the portrayal of Pakistan accurate? I am sure there is some artistic license - but how far is the portrayal of Pakistan off the mark?

Back
Top Bottom