What's new

Winter War 1939-1940

Apart from many factors, the purge of 1937 onwards was a major factor.
There was no "Purge" in European armies but most of them could not resist to Hitler at all - they surrendered like little chickens without any fight. I'm more than sure - if Stalin have not killed traitors USSR would fell to Hitler's hands like Chechoslovakia, France or Poland. And I am more than sure - if England or USA were not saved by the Admiral Water they would be crushed by Germans in a few months.

There was no "Purge" in European armies but most of them could not resist to Hitler at all - they surrendered like little chickens without any fight. I'm more than sure - if Stalin have not killed traitors USSR would fell to Hitler's hands like Chechoslovakia, France or Poland. And I am more than sure - if England or USA were not saved by the Admiral Water they would be crushed by Germans in a few months.

The purges were bad but in the end it became a blessing as it allowed talented commanders like Zhukov to take the lead. Basically became a refresh for the Soviets even if they lost time it paid off in the end.

Also made the Germans underestimate the Soviet Union.

Purges in the end did not destroy Soviet Industrial capabilities and production.

The purges were bad but in the end it became a blessing as it allowed talented commanders like Zhukov to take the lead. Basically became a refresh for the Soviets even if they lost time it paid off in the end.

Also made the Germans underestimate the Soviet Union.

Purges in the end did not destroy Soviet Industrial capabilities and production.
Germans underestimated the Soviet Union not because of purges, but because of their ideology - untermench can not make science and industry. I've watched recently on youtube - some Germans top generals were on 1st May Parade in Moscow, 1941. They saw Soviet tanks and machine guns and artillery with their own eyes and after parade they say: "Stupid Russian want to cheat us. They pick up equipment from the whole USSR to make us think their army is good armed"!
It is clinical.
Purge was absolutely needed because there were plenty of Western agents in USSR even in 30's. Remember coup attempt in Turkey few years ago? Imagine if something like this happens during the hardest invasion in the human's history.

Germans underestimated the Soviet Union not because of purges, but because of their ideology - untermench can not make science and industry. I've watched recently on youtube - some Germans top generals were on 1st May Parade in Moscow, 1941. They saw Soviet tanks and machine guns and artillery with their own eyes and after parade they say: "Stupid Russian want to cheat us. They pick up equipment from the whole USSR to make us think their army is good armed"!
It is clinical.
Purge was absolutely needed because there were plenty of Western agents in USSR even in 30's. Remember coup attempt in Turkey few years ago? Imagine if something like this happens during the hardest invasion in the human's history.

True true still the Germans thought the Soviets will easily collapse how wrong they were.

Soviets still had better tanks than the germans I would take t34 over the overrated tiger any day.

Germans had the most overrated tanks. Powerful and armoured they were but complex and unreliable scraps they were.

A lot of whermact fanboys still defend these tanks.

The historical documentary series on the Winter War continues with a video on the battles in the Northern part of Finland, as the Finnish army is doing its best to defend against the superior Red Army in the Arctic and Subarctic regions. The video covers the battles in Lapland and the usage of the motti tactic by the Finns.

The historical documentary series on the Winter War continues with a video on the battles in the central front as the Soviet offensive is stopped and the Finns are counterattacking. The defenders managed to surround groups of the Soviet army and the battles around Kitila became crucial. This episode also describes the Finnish motti tactic and talks about the famous sniper Simo Häyhä.

The historical documentary series on the Winter War concludes with a video on the end of the war, as the Soviet Red Army manages to find new ways to fight the Finns, who despite being heavily outnumbered continue their resistance.

Back
Top Bottom