What's new

Will Paf go for KC-135 or A310 MRTT?

JK!, then PIA would float a tender for a purchase spending again for their fleet. It will all come down to spending. PIA is in no position to spare one or two.

Why not "relieve" PIA of the A310s they have and get these aircraft converted instead?

Acquiring replacement aircraft for a civilian airline may be cheaper than buying an entirely new military system.
Initially PAF did push for the A-310 MRTT from EADS. Acquiring a few used A310s wouldn't have been an issue, but EADS was/is reluctant to convert them in favour of selling A330 MRTT. However, the A330 MRTT is considered too expensive (and by some overpriced), hence options in this regard remain limited. On the other hand, should EADS agree then PAF will likely push ahead with the A310 MRTT...otherwise, it can buy some excess KC-135 and wear them out in the hopes that it can afford A330 by then.

Last edited:
What about the KC130 variant of the Hercules- would bring more commonality to the PAF then another aircraft.

I think KC 135 is better to go with as european one is too expansive and pakistan not good with those airbus system other than A 310 anyway i had what i have thought

Surplus kc-135 is the way till we have more funds on hand in the future for another platform for the vipers.. as of now all iam hearing about Pakistan being moved back years and years because of the flood .

What about the KC130 variant of the Hercules- would bring more commonality to the PAF then another aircraft.
Well PAF wants a boom-type IFR aircraft, and unfortunately KC-130 is only capable of probe-drogue refueling. While KC-135 is a good option, it'd be better to have an aircraft capable of both boom and hose-drogue (given the PAF fleet). We may need to wait up to another year or so before a final decision, as the PAF is still probably holding out for A310 MRTT. I believe an A310 MRTT would cost $75mn, so 4 such aircraft would cost $300mn (a single A330 MRTT!)...whereas 4 KC-135 might cost half as much, but would not be as capable (boom-only) and potentially in lesser-quality condition.

It depends upon the source and age of the KC-135. All of the original straight-jet 135's have been modernized with fan engines, CFM-56. When the USAF fleet count was at its peak, we had a LOT of these aircraft. They were designed to refuel both fighters and massed B-52 formations. I don't know for a fact how many are in ready-reserve or storage, but these could probably be had for very little money, a small fraction of what a new tanker would cost. Think 6 or 8 to 1.

They have performed brilliantly for decades. All they need are spares to continue on for decades more.

I've mentioned this before... probe refueling is MUCH faster than basket. You can top off a flight of four and get them back into a CAP or a fight before the drogue system is 1/2 done. And refitting a jet for a probe isn't that big of a deal. A door and receptacle is fitted, and in the end, you have a cleaner airframe with less drag, and there is no big probe obscuring vision.

Start with a number of KC-135 tankers. Use them operationally. This will allow the PAF to better define its needs for the future. If necessary, they can be stored and a newer system purchased, but I don't think that would happen. The KC-135 is mature, reliable, and proven.

Back
Top Bottom