What's new

Will Kazakhstan Be a Game-Changer in Afghanistan?

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting article here on The Diplomat.

Excerpts below:

Among the deals settled between the two countries was a contract for 600,000 tons of Kazakh wheat. According to TOLOnews, an Afghan news site, Ghani commented that “Kazakhstan is one of the biggest wheat producers in the region and we need imported wheat in next five years.” He also noted that Kazakhstan is a steel producer and Afghanistan’s infrastructure development plans necessitate a solid supply.

According to the Trend, since 2002, Kazakhstan has delivered $20 million in foodstuffs to Afghanistan and has allocated $50 million for Afghan students to study at Kazakh universities. Trend also notes that trade between the two countries amounted to $336.7 million in 2014, up from $251.4 million in 2013. The Astana Times stated that trade now stands at $400 million.

Part of Ghani’s push for deeper engagement with Kazakhstan might be his country’s stalled detente with Pakistan. TOLOnews commented that “Afghan officials and traders consider Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan as better alternative for import of foodstuff and reconstruction materials instead of Pakistan.”

Better alternative? Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't imports from Pakistan somewhere between 30%-50% cheaper? Both for agricultural products, as well as construction material? Mostly because Pakistan basically made it free for Afghanistan to cross the border with them?

Better alternative? Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't imports from Pakistan somewhere between 30%-50% cheaper? Both for agricultural products, as well as construction material?

We could also say the same for Indian goods but Pakistan will not give MFN status to India. Nationlism trumps economy.

We could also say the same for Indian goods but Pakistan will not give MFN status to India. Nationlism trumps economy.
And what makes you think I'm against giving MFN status to India? I do have some issues with it, as I do believe some industries within Pakistan should be protected, before MFN can be given, but my concerns only go that far. You also seem to forget that even though India has given "MFN status" to Pakistan, it is only in name. Pakistan exports to India are still heavily taxed using other means, making them less then competitive.

Besides, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Afghanistan is already a preferred destination for Pakistan imports and exports, and both sides recognize that. With India and Pakistan, even if MFN status is given by both sides, neither side will ever fully implement it in spirit.

With India and Pakistan, even if MFN status is given by both sides, neither side will ever fully implement it in spirit.
The thus I say, to hell with this drama of MFN nonsense.

Pakistan should not export a single thing to Afghanistan. They can get this stuff from Kazakistan, timbukto or Mars. Hell like we care.

The thus I say, to hell with this drama of MFN nonsense.
You misunderstand, the MFN is more than just a trade issue, it is political. If MFN is granted to India in any form, it will directly result in a lowering of tension, and opening up of further cooperation. This is the main reason why I support giving the MFN status to India, even if it is just for show.

Pakistan should not export a single thing to Afghanistan. They can get this stuff from Kazakistan, timbukto or Mars. Hell like we care.
Really? Cause I think Pakistan should redouble it's efforts to increase exports to Afghanistan. This will make Afghanistan highly dependent on Pakistan. As Pakistan is already Afghanistan's largest trading partner, Pakistani government should make sure nothing about that changes. Make it so that Afghanistan risks economic stagnation, if it continues to behave inappropriately towards Pakistan.

And here comes afghani who is ashamed of his country

Anybody that does not agree with you is not Pakistani.

Pakistan must export Talibans into Afghanistan.

Anybody that does not agree with you is not Pakistani.

Yep Pakistan is the evil country, no matter what it does it is evil. It is all Pakistan's fault, Karazai, Ghani and their predecessors had the birth right to rule areas of Pakistan and make alliances with enemies of Pakistan, but idiots in Pakistan don't understand this.

Anybody that does not agree with you is not Pakistani
You think Pakistanis are just idiots and dont know what you afghanis/NDS are doing and planning with our enemies
Afghani go sort out your country and get rid of warlord like dostam and traitors like karzai before the times run out and someone else decides enough is enough

Back
Top Bottom