What's new

Why PAF never went for J-8 Finback?

Hi

Paf approved the A5 aircraft. 150 miles strike radius.

I am just learning that A-5 was a chinese copy of Mig 19---. It really seemed so strange to see a twin engine with so little power and I always wondered about that---.

F6 was a copy of Mig-19, not A5.

This is a Mig-19

CNN8zaQHK7unlhJdYeAW5dHAQBZrSEFjrPfyaC2zxYowBojYQTtn5YxJYL02HFFB0nfAlg-PJuSK_3qn0q3WitBTsL_PgeAnTNPW45IuAs7iZE2i6I2-QA

F6/J6

f-6a_pakaf_924.jpg

This is A5

full

From what has been deduced over the years, PAF was seeking a qualitative yet cost-effective lightweight aircraft with a modular design that would be free of political risk. The concept of JF-17 was to develop an airframe from scratch with the Chinese/CAC help and then incorporate Western avionics and weapon systems. In this sense, the JF-17 and FC-1 variants were only to share the airframe. As the project went along the Chinese avionics and weapon systems improved and Western items started to become politically risky. Thus, JF-17 too ended up being predominantly Chinese inside out. Problem with J-10 was that (1) it was perhaps not as modular as the JF-17/FC-1 (at least on paper at the time), (2) it was not in the lightweight class, (3) cost was relatively higher, and (4) PAF was still holding on to the hopes of acquiring F-16s, or Mirage-2000, which were of the same class but significantly superior at the time. Needless to say, JF-17 turned out to be what it was meant to be.
I have read the same essay before ....yet I believe that saving money each and every time may not payoff in the long run ....

I have read the same essay before ....yet I believe that saving money each and every time may not payoff in the long run ....

In some ways you are correct but we need to consider the period and timeline in which the JF-17 was conceived. The cost was a major issue in the late 1990s. Pakistan needs to be thankful for the fact that the Chinese avionics and weapon systems improved rapidly beginning mid-2000s. Otherwise, the increasing cost and political risk associated with the Western systems could have rendered the project with much to desire for.

PAF inducted 200 F-7/FT-7s since 1986.

Main role of this single engine aircraft was interception. Its combat radius is 850 km.

J-8II was first flown in 1984.

J-8II is a twin engine aircraft and its combat radius is 1000 km.

After induction F-7 as an interceptor, there was no need to induct another aircraft for similar role.

upload_2020-3-4_11-20-6.png

Chinese have come a long way developing fighter jets.
The quality gap of Chinese jets with Russian and Western jets is rapidly closing.
These days few aviation enthusiasts criticize Chinese jets ,they are no joke.
Say thanks to all the money China is spending on scientific research.

Back
Top Bottom