What's new

Why Jinnah pulled out troops from Waziristan? facts

Braith

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Muhammad Zubair

So, we the tribal from North and South Waziristan have been sold this officially certified lie for the past 7 decades: that Mr. Jinnah withdrew regular armed forces from Waziristan (in the immediate aftermath of Pakistan coming into being) in order to show how respectful Pak's govt was towards the tribal's sense of freedom and autonomy. Mr. Jinnah indeed made a speech to that effect in the Governor House, Peshawar in front of the tribesmen, and it was based on this lie / drama that the consent of tribesmen to join Pakistan was obtained.

Only today I found out that it was an officially certified and naked lie, fabricated and orchestrated by the then British Governor of NWFP, the British C-n-C Pak Army, PM Liaquat, Nishtar and most importantly Mr. Jinnah himself. In a couple of posts I will deconstruct this lie. The fact of the matter is that troops stationed in Waziristans were needed in mainland Pakistan and therefore needed to be withdrawn -- and not for respecting the so-called autonomy of the tribes.

The British C-n-C of Pak army Sir Frank Messervy wrote to George Cunningham (Governor NWFP) on Sep 18, 1947 that the situation of Pakistan Army was not good in mainland Pakistan and there was no way to improve the situation other than evacuating the troops stationed in Waziristan. He wrote, "I have now not a single battalion in reserve, every officer and man is being worked beyond his capacity and morale is consequently suffering. As the units of the Dominian of India are withdrawn -- we still have 15 major units in Pak, 6 of which are in Waziristan -- the strain will reach breaking point. We must therefore, save troops somewhere without delay.... An immediate acceleration of the accepted policy of the withdrawal of Regular army troops from Waziristan is there our only hope".

He further wrote: "It might be argued that it would be better to keep the Army in position till the agreements with the tribes have been made, but I think that in fact the psychological advantage lies the other way, as I have said in ... above. Further, it must be realized that the Pakistan Army in its present state, especially with regard to experienced officers is not capable of acting effectively in tribal areas, if such action were necessary". [This cunningness explains how they ruled over the whole world]

Based on this advice, the Governor George Cunningham, in turn, writing to the P.M Liaquat on Sep 20, 1947 and advised him how to use Islamic propaganda in order to prevent possible attacks on the withdrawing troops by the 'Mahsud Gangs of Faqir Ipi':

"... That propaganda in support of the Pakistan Government will be effective. The Chief arguments that I see at present are:

The general theme that Pakistan and Islam are really synonymous; anything done to weaken any part of Pakistan or to expose it to world's criticism is an offense against Islam.

Tribesmen will I think, be particularly open to this type of argument

Pakistan troops are sorely needed for internal defense, for helping our own Muslim refugees, and for protecting them against miscreant bands of their communities.

With the almost total disappearance of Hindus form our villages on this side of the administrative borders, raids against British territory will merely be hitting Muslim villagers and Muslim shopkeepers...

My conclusion form all this that we are justified in taking a risk straightaway. I have very little doubt that the Government of Pakistan will decide before long that evacuation of regular troops from Waziristan is necessary, and i think there is, as Sir Frank Messervy says, a psychological advantage in coming to this decision when Pakistan is in its first youth and enthusiasm is high."

Not only the above advice but the British Governor of NWFP also sent him 'Draft Proposed Proclamation by Jinnah' to be read to tribesmen by Jinnah himself! And Jinnah did read it to the gathering of Mahsud and Wazir tribes in Governor House, Peshawar. He rather killed two birds with one stone: one, withdrawing troops for purposes other than preserving the so-called autonomy of tribesmen; and secondly, getting the agreement of the tribesmen to join Pakistan on the basis of this lie as a quid pro quo.

So situation of army in mainland didn't improve till 2004 when army was sent there first time after 1947? :hang3:

Now they will be merged with KP for good in coming 5-7 years as per their desire.

By Muhammad Zubair

So, we the tribal from North and South Waziristan have been sold this officially certified lie for the past 7 decades: that Mr. Jinnah withdrew regular armed forces from Waziristan (in the immediate aftermath of Pakistan coming into being) in order to show how respectful Pak's govt was towards the tribal's sense of freedom and autonomy. Mr. Jinnah indeed made a speech to that effect in the Governor House, Peshawar in front of the tribesmen, and it was based on this lie / drama that the consent of tribesmen to join Pakistan was obtained.

Only today I found out that it was an officially certified and naked lie, fabricated and orchestrated by the then British Governor of NWFP, the British C-n-C Pak Army, PM Liaquat, Nishtar and most importantly Mr. Jinnah himself. In a couple of posts I will deconstruct this lie. The fact of the matter is that troops stationed in Waziristans were needed in mainland Pakistan and therefore needed to be withdrawn -- and not for respecting the so-called autonomy of the tribes.

The British C-n-C of Pak army Sir Frank Messervy wrote to George Cunningham (Governor NWFP) on Sep 18, 1947 that the situation of Pakistan Army was not good in mainland Pakistan and there was no way to improve the situation other than evacuating the troops stationed in Waziristan. He wrote, "I have now not a single battalion in reserve, every officer and man is being worked beyond his capacity and morale is consequently suffering. As the units of the Dominian of India are withdrawn -- we still have 15 major units in Pak, 6 of which are in Waziristan -- the strain will reach breaking point. We must therefore, save troops somewhere without delay.... An immediate acceleration of the accepted policy of the withdrawal of Regular army troops from Waziristan is there our only hope".

He further wrote: "It might be argued that it would be better to keep the Army in position till the agreements with the tribes have been made, but I think that in fact the psychological advantage lies the other way, as I have said in ... above. Further, it must be realized that the Pakistan Army in its present state, especially with regard to experienced officers is not capable of acting effectively in tribal areas, if such action were necessary". [This cunningness explains how they ruled over the whole world]

Based on this advice, the Governor George Cunningham, in turn, writing to the P.M Liaquat on Sep 20, 1947 and advised him how to use Islamic propaganda in order to prevent possible attacks on the withdrawing troops by the 'Mahsud Gangs of Faqir Ipi':

"... That propaganda in support of the Pakistan Government will be effective. The Chief arguments that I see at present are:

The general theme that Pakistan and Islam are really synonymous; anything done to weaken any part of Pakistan or to expose it to world's criticism is an offense against Islam.

Tribesmen will I think, be particularly open to this type of argument

Pakistan troops are sorely needed for internal defense, for helping our own Muslim refugees, and for protecting them against miscreant bands of their communities.

With the almost total disappearance of Hindus form our villages on this side of the administrative borders, raids against British territory will merely be hitting Muslim villagers and Muslim shopkeepers...

My conclusion form all this that we are justified in taking a risk straightaway. I have very little doubt that the Government of Pakistan will decide before long that evacuation of regular troops from Waziristan is necessary, and i think there is, as Sir Frank Messervy says, a psychological advantage in coming to this decision when Pakistan is in its first youth and enthusiasm is high."

Not only the above advice but the British Governor of NWFP also sent him 'Draft Proposed Proclamation by Jinnah' to be read to tribesmen by Jinnah himself! And Jinnah did read it to the gathering of Mahsud and Wazir tribes in Governor House, Peshawar. He rather killed two birds with one stone: one, withdrawing troops for purposes other than preserving the so-called autonomy of tribesmen; and secondly, getting the agreement of the tribesmen to join Pakistan on the basis of this lie as a quid pro quo.

Brilliant post. I was not aware of any of this.

I wouldn't call it a lie or use such strong language, however. It distracts attention, and is disturbing to read for Jinnah fans.

Please continue. Let me now read the rest of the messages. I hope you find good papers like this.

Fascinating.

So situation of army in mainland didn't improve till 2004 when army was sent there first time after 1947? :hang3:

I think it was inertia rather than conscious policy.

Back
Top Bottom