What's new

What about our Agostas 90B's?

itsjawad

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a great concern that what become of our Agosta's 90B.. We bought them with a ToT programe and We heard during earlier 90's that Pakistan will be able to reproduce those subs and will able to even export them. Why we were not able to even replace our old Agosta-70s submarines and older Daphne class submarines.. Agosta 90B was a lethal naval weapon of 90's and even very dangerous and most powerful entity of our Navy now a days. We had all the infrastructure, technology and experience, but we never did that.. Also, I want to ask if today Navy is tasked to make agosta90s then Is our navy capable to remake them ?? Or it was just a failed ToT programme ?

Now we are going for german subs with the same ToT agreement. Well, I want to ask, Is this agreement is limited Or we can re-make these subs whenever we want and can we export them as well ?..

Brother It was not a failed TOT project indeed. As far as making more submarines IIRC, agreement was for three submarines only and all three are operational now.

100% TOT never happen in this world. There are systems which Pakistan can produce and there are systems which Pakistan is yet to need to learn making of, e.g AIP propulsion system.

I think Pakistan and France both will have to reach on a point if Pakistan can sell these to other nations. currently i don't think there is any agreement on selling Augosta-90Bs to third party without French approval. But i might be wrong on this. My assessment is based on fact that Pakistan never announced any more Agosta after PNS Hamza which was commissioned last year.

even with the TOT agreement a formal approval with the original builder is required. i do not see a possibility of PN making them for other but yes we may make one or two more after agreement with frence. however after the U214, i thiink PN will give more favour to get them as the are far superior and are also comming with TOT!

regards!

AShM = Harpoon, Exocet
Muti-purpose = IDAS
CM = Naval variant of babur

perhaps we may/must get some german anti-ship missiles as well,
any possibility??

regards!

Hi All,

I have a great concern that what become of our Agosta's 90B.. We bought them with a ToT programe and We heard during earlier 90's that Pakistan will be able to reproduce those subs and will able to even export them. Why we were not able to even replace our old Agosta-70s submarines and older Daphne class submarines.. Agosta 90B was a lethal naval weapon of 90's and even very dangerous and most powerful entity of our Navy now a days. We had all the infrastructure, technology and experience, but we never did that.. Also, I want to ask if today Navy is tasked to make agosta90s then Is our navy capable to remake them ?? Or it was just a failed ToT programme ?

Now we are going for german subs with the same ToT agreement. Well, I want to ask, Is this agreement is limited Or we can re-make these subs whenever we want and can we export them as well ?..

On the export thing ... well France is a very hungry country. When Pakistan offered Agosta-90B to Malaysia France jumped in and offering French built advance subs. Although most of the equipment for Malaysian Agosta-90B would have come from France - hence virtually all the money would have gone there - France did not want to give up on payment for manpower, steal cutting or any amount which would have gone to Pakistan.

For more Agostas for PN, well ... since the navy was given thumbs up not just for modernization but also for adding advance and qualitative equipment it decided on more advance subs i.e. U-214.

Originally Posted by itsjawad
Hi All,

I have a great concern that what become of our Agosta's 90B.. We bought them with a ToT programe and We heard during earlier 90's that Pakistan will be able to reproduce those subs and will able to even export them. Why

Hello Jawad,

Well---we find out that it is not easy to enter big ticket defence items---the bigger fish in the ocean won't let us do that.

Secondly---the TOT---that we hear about is not TOT in the real sense---it is just a foot in the door to see and understand some of the makings of the machine---so we can do a better maintenance and upkeep job.

Pakistanis are consumed in the fires of TOT---it is good to get a better understanding of the system---once you know what goes behind manufacturing it.

Back
Top Bottom