What's new

WATCH: 1200 Years Old Christian Cross Found In Gilgit-Baltistan

Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WATCH: 1200 Years Old Christian Cross Found In Gilgit-Baltistan
According to initial estimates, the cross is believed to be around 1,000 to 1,200 years old.
By Omair Kamran On Jun 23, 2020
An Eastern Christian Church cross credited to be up to 1,200 years old, and weighing beyond three tons has been discovered in Skardu in Gilgit-Baltistan.
103705071_10157559331803590_8393244224094625296_n.jpg

Muhammad Naeem Khan | Facebook
An expedition team from the University of Baltistan in Skardu discovered a large marble cross high in the Kavardo mountain range in Baltistan.

The team, led by vice-chancellor Muhammad Naeem Khan together with the director of academics Zakir Hussain Zakir and director of external links Ishtiaq Hussain Maqpoon, visited the site to study the discovery accompanied by local villagers and mountain guides.

Jun 23, 2020
According to initial estimates, the cross is believed to be around 1,000 to 1,200 years old.

Khan reported the finding of the cross as if “it descended on Karakarom directly from the sky.”

In the opinion of researcher Wajid Bhatti, it is a Thomanian cross and one of the most prominent crosses ever discovered in the Indian subcontinent.

“It is indeed important news for all of us that an ancient cross was found in Skardu. It shows that Christianity used to exist in this area, and there must be a church and houses of Christians. There are presently no Christian families in that area, but they were once present,” said Mansha Noor, executive director of Caritas Pakistan.

104334063_10157559331883590_9173574119127161841_n.jpg

Muhammad Naeem Khan | Facebook
The town of Skardu, which today links Pakistan to China, was once on the Silk Road. It is, therefore, possible, according to Béatrice Caseau, a teacher of Byzantine history at Sorbonne University, that “Christianity was brought to this mountainous region by Christian merchants from the Middle East.”

“Even if we lack the sources to know with certainty where they passed, we know that Christians from the Persian world, using the Syriac language, came to the Indus region between the 5th and 8th centuries, until the arrival of Islam,” continues Béatrice Caseau.

The University of Baltistan also intends to reach out to North American and European universities, and develop academic linkages with local historians, to find out the exact date of cross carving from a rock boulder and scientifically describe the details of this rock.

I'm not sure that precise community exists now in Pakistan. Different Christian denominations can get quite whingey over possession of relics from specific sects. In any case, it must stay in Pakistan.

Not in that region bro but obviously Punjab etc. It's our and especially their heritage.

More opportunities for religious tourism in Pakistan. We have Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu, and now Christian artifacts and holy places.

For Muslims, we have many Shia and Sunni sites as well.

Could be profitable for us. In sha Allah.

Not in that region bro but obviously Punjab etc. It's our and especially their heritage.

Lahore probably has the largest Christian population. Many of my family friends and neighbors have been and are Christians. They are pretty well mixed in with Muslims in the city.

we should make a church in pindi /isl and gift them with his cross

we should make a church in pindi /isl and gift them with his cross

Nice thought, but I'd say it give to one of the already lovely established churches?

I think Sacred Heart Cathedral Lahore would be a lovely place to put the cross i.e. one our greatest cities, home to large Christian community, cultural centre of Pakistan etc.

synarmqsprw41.jpg

5ac0f45451ef8.jpg

Beautiful building.
Hey I hope the Anglicans don't object lol (Catholic cathedral), after all Pakistanis being Pakistanis might squabble over it.

Last edited:
Nice thought, but I'd say give to one of the already lovely established churches?

I think Sacred Heart Cathedral Lahore would be a lovely place to put i.e. one our greatest cities, home to large Christian community, cultural centre of Pakistan etc.

synarmqsprw41.jpg

5ac0f45451ef8.jpg

Beautiful building.
Hey I hope the Anglicans don't object lol (Catholic cathedral), after all Pakistanis being Pakistanis might squabble over it.
i somehow agreed with you sir but i think in our capital they deserve a nice church too . d=so diplomats and visitors can see soft side of pakistan . we have Faisal mosque so other side of city there should be a new mega church too .

Lolz why is everyone talking about keeping it in Pakistan or building church for it. Its an artifact and will be placed in local museum.

I'm not sure that precise community exists now in Pakistan. Different Christian denominations can get quite whingey over possession of relics from specific sects. In any case, it must stay in Pakistan.

A national museum of artifacts should be made, showing items like this, as well as items from the Buddhist and Hindu periods. It would keep it out if the hands of any one sect and be a national possession.

A non-denominational church in the capital would be a great place to put it.

On a side note, building a non-denominational church, a national Sikh temple, and a national Hindu temple in the capital should be done anyway. If Dubai can recognize their guest workers, our nation should recognize our native minorities in a public way

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom