What's new

Wajahat Saeed Khan Parody.

I disagree with Wajahat Saeed on his style of reporting. It is fine to try to look all macho when covering war and battles but it should not ignore the norms that are prevalent in the institution that you are covering.. For instance in his recent program on Torkham, he just kept talking and talking and also crossed the bugle sounding team while they were giving quarter guard demo, while it would have been appropriate to let the bugle team sound it. The whole team was standing alert while he roamed around and through them casually. Not appropriate.

Secondly, the way he addresses the generals and the brigadiers in a made-up terse tone in front of the soldiers is also not appropriate. One can be a bit more considerate of their position of authority

Likewise, he entered the room of Shaheed Major Changezi and touched and felt his belongings like cap, belt , personal diary. You can show it on the cam but it is not appropriate (again) to actually disturb the items from how they were preserved (temporarily) by the Shaheeds fellow soldiers and officers

That said, I like his programs and do watch almost all of those, but I think he needs to improve on this bit

I disagree with Wajahat Saeed on his style of reporting. It is fine to try to look all macho when covering war and battles but it should not ignore the norms that are prevalent in the institution that you are covering.. For instance in his recent program on Torkham, he just kept talking and talking and also crossed the bugle sounding team while they were giving quarter guard demo, while it would have been appropriate to let the bugle team sound it. The whole team was standing alert while he roamed around and through them casually. Not appropriate.

On purpose theatrics. The cameraman is supposed to be invisible now a days.

Secondly, the way he addresses the generals and the brigadiers in a made-up terse tone in front of the soldiers is also not appropriate. One can be a bit more considerate of their position of authority

Why not? This is the problem right here. The generals and brigadiers hold no authority over a civilian (the civilian actually does, but that's another story). The codes of conduct in the military's hierarchy cannot be and should not be demanded from non-military personnel.

On purpose theatrics. The cameraman is supposed to be invisible now a days.

Why not? This is the problem right here. The generals and brigadiers hold no authority over a civilian (the civilian actually does, but that's another story). The codes of conduct in the military's hierarchy cannot be and should not be demanded from non-military personnel.
My emphasis was more on 'addressing them the way he does IN FRONT of the soldiers they command'
Also, holding them accountable or treating them equal (in a different set of circumstances) is one thing and dealing them as no body in their den is altogether a different thing. It is not a queue at the mall where everyone should be considered equal. It is his battlefield and he is commanding that area and there he should be given due respect. Even in this argument I am not arguing why he calls them 'general' and 'brigadier' or 'jawan' instead of Sir or Name , but I am arguing the way he calls them :) He can be a bit normal and say or ask whatever he wants in true spirit of 'civilians authority over a general' but (a) he is copying the terse macho tone as a wannabe from military itself and yet disregarding their very norms (b) He cannot and is not saying anything on his free will as all the stuff is reviewed multiple times and then allowed for airing, so there is nothing like his free will in the show

Anyways, ideally I agree with your statement of "The generals and brigadiers hold no authority over a civilian (the civilian actually does, but that's another story). The codes of conduct in the military's hierarchy cannot be and should not be demanded from non-military personnel but that is a debate for some other time and some other topic. I am just being annoyed at WSK's wannabe and fake terseness :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom