What's new

USS Mason encountered and neutralized 7 anti-ship cruise missiles in Yemeni waters in 2016

I will let some one else to answere you.. especially ttp and drone part...
Sure.

But I must say one thing... u are not here to learn ... u THINK u know all... just want to convince the rest of your perceived reality... Brest of luck
Never claimed that I am all-knowing or even close. However, research is my forte and I also happen to be well-versed in the matters of IT. Additionally, I study defense-related matters whenever I have time.

Instead of appreciating my responses, you are overreacting which is not healthy for a discussion. There are some members here whom I do not even bother to address because of their attitude-related problems; you want to join them?

Anybody can be wrong in a discussion; I am not saying that [you] are "always" wrong in a discussion but you tend to jump to conclusions over matters that you are not acquainted with much [this is not possible; that is not possible; SBX is a torch]. We should be thankful to companies like Lockheed Martin and agencies like MDA for educating people with their disclosures from time-to-time.

It is wise to cultivate a learning mindset. Think of me (or any member) as a channel to extract meaningful information from whenever possible. My intention is not to intimidate anybody here.

US is decades ahead of Pakistan in the matters of "research and development" and has developed much more capable stuff accordingly. No rocket science in my disclosures - just a mix of common sense and sharp observations.

Last edited:
From the article mentioned, the range it was fired from etc. I think it was yj-8/801 or earlier variety, these had a range of 40-50 km and also were rocket motor based requiring lofted trajectories to reach their full range therefore technically making it easier and earlier to detect them and more time to respond. Also I think their seeker was not frequency agile and used conic scan rather than mono-pulse making it easier to jam as well.

US is decades ahead of Pakistan in the matters of "research and development" and has developed much more capable stuff accordingly. No rocket science in my disclosures - just a mix of common sense and sharp observations.

I agree with that....

But we also have alot of help....

U think houthis can get c 802 c but pak cannot get help?????

By the way from above post it was surely c 801 or silk worm variety from speed 1100 km range of 50km +_...
Yemenis acuired these in 1970s
C802c ... and mason would have been at bottom of sea

I agree with that....

But we also have alot of help....

U think houthis can get c 802 c but pak cannot get help?????
Pakistan has received considerable assistance from several countries in the matters of its defense over the course of years, bro.

We acquired technical know-how of developing nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles and combat aircraft from Europe, China and North Korea over the course of years. We also learned a great deal about design of various weapon systems from our dealings with US and Ukraine.

From the article mentioned, the range it was fired from etc. I think it was yj-8/801 or earlier variety, these had a range of 40-50 km and also were rocket motor based requiring lofted trajectories to reach their full range therefore technically making it easier and earlier to detect them and more time to respond. Also I think their seeker was not frequency agile and used conic scan rather than mono-pulse making it easier to jam as well.
I refer you to my post (no. 17) in this thread.

Also;

"Tellingly, al-Masirah's footage of the Swift attack shows a booster motor dropping away from the missile after launch, consistent with the C-802."

Source: http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/...ishipping-attacks-in-the-bab-al-mandab-strait

Houthi-based sources have also reiterated that they have C-802 in their inventory.

And I am not sure why range is a factor here; what actually matters is where the target is spotted and engaged. C-802 will engage a target as long as it is within its reach, be it at 8 km or at 70 km.

Last edited:
Houthi-based sources have also reiterated that they have C-802 in their inventory.

They can say they have nukes... but that won't make it true...

Any new missile in their inventory will prove foreign involvement with consequences for provider... these claims of c 892 or other weapons are allegations by allies to prove Iranians involvement...

Updating existing missiles is all whats done... plus c802 is not exactly shoulder fired system... it requires radars etc to work... how would you get whole set up in without getting noticed?? There is a blockade in place

And even if it was c 802 ... u shud not expect same results with houthis than with a trained force...

Example of that is the same 1969s s200 which could not hit a bird in Syrian hands... downed a latest version f16 yesterday with likely Russian in put to how to bloody use it....

They can say they have nukes... but that won't make it true...

Any new missile in their inventory will prove foreign involvement with consequences for provider... these claims of c 892 or other weapons are allegations by allies to prove Iranians involvement...

Updating existing missiles is all whats done... plus c802 is not exactly shoulder fired system... it requires radars etc to work... how would you get whole set up in without getting noticed?? There is a blockade in place

And even if it was c 802 ... u shud not expect same results with houthis than with a trained force...

Example of that is the same 1969s s200 which could not hit a bird in Syrian hands... downed a latest version f16 yesterday with likely Russian in put to how to bloody use it....
Bro,

Experience is a great teacher and Iranian support to Houthi is an open secret. I have disclosed relevant bits of information in posts no. 17 and 27 of this thread but I have pieced these bits together in this post for your convenience and judgement.

This is the official video of assault on a ship known as HSV-2 Swift in October 1, 2016:

Emphasis mine. Clear-cut evidence of a radar-guided antishipping missile attack.

And;

"Tellingly, al-Masirah's footage of the Swift attack shows a booster motor dropping away from the missile after launch, consistent with the C-802."

Source: http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/...ishipping-attacks-in-the-bab-al-mandab-strait

This was the outcome:

Screen-Shot-2016-10-11-at-2.09.00-PM-1024x731.png

Damage is too extensive and warhead too sophisticated for a shoulder-fired missile, and target was a high speed vessel on top. Target was also struck in the night.

"The Swift was designed as a high-speed logistics vessel, and its lightweight aluminum hull would deform and burn easily under the heat and impact created by a large antiship missile warhead such as that carried on the C-802."

---

I don't think that any militia (or military force) would take its chances against an Arleigh Burke class destroyer with primitive and/or outdated weapons:

"Toward this end, the Navy deployed three ships to the hot spot earlier this week: the destroyers USS Mason and USS Nitze and the amphibious transport ship USS Ponce. Guided missile destroyers of this type are well fortified against antiship attacks, armed with the Phalanx close-in weapons system, the AN/SLQ-32(V3) electronic warfare suite for active jamming, and Standard missiles for longer-range interception of inbound missiles. For as long as the deployment is maintained, these ships will be able to monitor threats, protect shipping, and respond to attacks as needed."

Employment of advanced cruise missiles was most likely for this end.

I think that USN was tasked to deplete inventory of such missiles and/or degrade the capability of Houthi rebels to threaten naval assets. USN not only neutralized [incoming] cruise missiles but retaliated by taking out several radar installations and cruise missile launching platforms in Yemen.

After intervention of USN, Houthi rebels have not managed to destroy any ship in Yemeni waters.

Bro,

Experience is a great teacher and Iranian support to Houthi is an open secret. I have disclosed relevant bits of information in posts no. 17 and 27 of this thread but I have pieced these bits together in this post for your convenience and judgement.

This is the official video of assault on a ship known as HSV-2 Swift in October 1, 2016:

Emphasis mine. Clear-cut evidence of a radar-guided antishipping missile attack.

And;

This was the outcome:

Screen-Shot-2016-10-11-at-2.09.00-PM-1024x731.png

Damage is too extensive and warhead too sophisticated for a shoulder-fired missile, and target was a high speed vessel on top. Target was also struck in the night.

"The Swift was designed as a high-speed logistics vessel, and its lightweight aluminum hull would deform and burn easily under the heat and impact created by a large antiship missile warhead such as that carried on the C-802."

---

I don't think that any militia (or military force) would take its chances against an Arleigh Burke class destroyer with primitive and/or outdated weapons:

"Toward this end, the Navy deployed three ships to the hot spot earlier this week: the destroyers USS Mason and USS Nitze and the amphibious transport ship USS Ponce. Guided missile destroyers of this type are well fortified against antiship attacks, armed with the Phalanx close-in weapons system, the AN/SLQ-32(V3) electronic warfare suite for active jamming, and Standard missiles for longer-range interception of inbound missiles. For as long as the deployment is maintained, these ships will be able to monitor threats, protect shipping, and respond to attacks as needed."

Employment of advanced cruise missiles was most likely for this end.

I think that USN was tasked to deplete inventory of such missiles and/or degrade the capability of Houthi rebels to threaten naval assets. USN not only neutralized [incoming] cruise missiles but retaliated by taking out several radar installations and cruise missile launching platforms in Yemen.

After intervention of USN, Houthi rebels have not managed to destroy any ship in Yemeni waters.

Iranians don't produce c 802.... they acuired a small quantity in 1989... and than made a local copy in 2000s of 1980s first model... which is called NOOR...

That's your best case scenario... that it was a NOOR version ...unless u want to say Chinese are supplying houthis.or Iranians directly..

Latest version of c 802 arms entire Chinese navy as their prime weapon... standing day in and out in front of US fleets in south China sea.... and it's prime purpose is to sink US fleets which they will definitely do.... rest assured

Iranians don't produce c 802.... they acuired a small quantity in 1989... and than made a local copy in 2000s of 1980s first model... which is called NOOR...

That's your best case scenario... that it was a NOOR version ...unless u want to say Chinese are supplying houthis.or Iranians directly..

Latest version of c 802 arms entire Chinese navy as their prime weapon... standing day in and out in front of US fleets in south China sea.... and it's prime purpose is to sink US fleets which they will definitely do.... rest assured
According to Iran, NOOR is more advanced than the original C-802.

China is also improving C-802 over time, true.

I agree that China would posit superior challenge to the US in an armed clash (god forbid), and losses can be expected in a high-intensity conflict with a near-peer adversary but to assume that American advances in the matters of defense are pointless and/or they can only take care of legacy threats, is a stupendous mistake.

USN is much more resourceful than any counterpart in existence. Want me to draw a comparison? No need, right?

---

Syrian regime has taken its chances with Israel but US is a different beast in comparison and they know it. Even Turkey-backed FSA acknowledge that US can change the entire dynamic of conflict in Syria, should it desire.

Just two USN vessels wrecked a massive Syrian military base in under 30 minutes, under the cover of Russian defenses (including S-400 systems). Assault was largely symbolic in execution (not to eradicate the base) but destruction was immense nonetheless, and message conveyed. Russians were notified of this assault in advance, and they fled from the base that was marked for strikes.

There is lot of posturing in the South China Sea but USN vessels continue to frequent there against the wishes of Chinese to reassure its allies in the region. Majority of the countries are not eager to take their chances with the US, my friend. Not recommended.

Last edited:
I refer you to my post (no. 17) in this thread.

Also;

And I am not sure why range is a factor here; what actually matters is where the target is spotted and engaged. C-802 will engage a target as long as it is within its reach, be it at 8 km or at 70 km.

I do not refute that there exists a possibility that it might be an Iranian clone of 802 but there is no evidence for it other than claims and speculations at this point in time. And from my reading of the article you posted.. I think it is 801 they had in their inventory.

About the report you mentioned about rocket booster dropping off.. both 801 and 802 had similar outward design as 801 is considered a clone of exocets, which we also had by the way, and tries to mimic the same operational parameters as early Exocet.. 801/802 they both supported a rocket motor booster but 801 had a sustainer rocket motor as second stage while 802 have a jet engine.. 802 in its internals and operational parameters is a different beast.

According to Iran, NOOR is more advanced than the original C-802.

China is also improving C-802 over time, true.

I agree that China would posit superior challenge to the US in an armed clash (god forbid), and losses can be expected in a high-intensity conflict with a near-peer adversary but to assume that American advances in the matters of defense are pointless and/or they can only take care of legacy threats, is a stupendous mistake.

USN is much more resourceful than any counterpart in existence. Want me to draw a comparison? No need, right?

---

Syrian regime has taken its chances with Israel but US is a different beast in comparison and they know it. Even Turkey-backed FSA acknowledge that US can change the entire dynamic of conflict in Syria, should it desire.

Just two USN vessels wrecked a massive Syrian military base in under 30 minutes, under the cover of Russian defenses (including S-400 systems). Assault was largely symbolic in execution (not to eradicate the base) but destruction was immense nonetheless, and message conveyed. Russians were notified of this assault in advance, and they fled from the base that was marked for strikes.

There is lot of posturing in the South China Sea but USN vessels continue to frequent there against the wishes of Chinese to reassure its allies in the region. Majority of the countries are not eager to take their chances with the US, my friend. Not recommended.
Same as US brag abt it demilitarized China military installation in spratly island but nothing has happen yet while Chinese instead added more weaponery by parking J-16 fighter/bomber and added more SAM on the island.

It’s silly of you try to lump China and same group with Syria as example to demonstrate US superiority. They are different class.

The LeGenD is a well known US worshipper who will trusted any US achievement without questioning... Like his claim of US aegis as invincible. Mind you , that system is still just a PESA. Yes yes, US is so advanced but how did it ICBM mid course interceptor failed compare to China?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/us/politics/missile-launch-test-failed.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/technology/innovation/china-conducts-successful-interception-of-ballistic-missile-in-earths-orbit/news-story/76554886bd4f48b19f24b06237d8f1ae

All these missile interception are carry out high up in the outer space. They are monitor by each rival countries. The test result cannot be manipulate. If you failed,it’s failed. It is a fact, US failed while China succeed. Btw, these is China 8 rds of missile interception, proving its highly maturity.

I think somebody is overhype of US military might.

Same as US brag abt it demilitarized China military installation in spratly island but nothing has happen yet while Chinese instead added more weaponery by parking J-16 fighter/bomber and added more SAM on the island.
Dispute in South China Sea is between regional players such as China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines and Vietnam.

OJ-AI565_PHILUS_9U_20160414124518.jpg

US is an external player in this matter and unlikely to deter China from militarizing it when other stakeholders are not stopping China from doing so. You do not pick a fight with your largest trading partner [needlessly].

American objective, at most, is to prevent a forceful takeover of Taiwan and/or make a conflict between China and another stakeholder in South China Sea costly for China. Let us hope that situation in SCS does not escalate to this level.

USN vessels frequenting South China Sea, suggest "posturing." They are not instructed to deter China from militarizing this region.

It’s silly of you try to lump China and same group with Syria as example to demonstrate US superiority. They are different class.
I did not lump China with Syria in the context of military might; I pointed out that two USN vessels wrecked Shayrat airbase in April 7, 2017 which was accorded protection by advanced Russian defenses in the region, to send a message to relevant actors [to watch their moves]. I suspect electronic warfare* in this incident.

*During Operation Neptune Spear, US spoofed relevant Pakistani radar installations in order to deter PAF from mobilizing and intercepting its helicopters that raided a compound in Abbottabad. Pakistani ACM became aware of this raid through a phone call (from COAS) but it was too late by then.

If advanced Russian defenses are not sufficient to deter American aggression, then China has to worry. It is foolish to underestimate American war-machine.

The LeGenD is a well known US worshipper who will trusted any US achievement without questioning... Like his claim of US aegis as invincible. Mind you , that system is still just a PESA.
No weapon system is invincible but Aegis is very good at what it is supposed to do. PESA and AESA are for the gullible to boast about. Smart individuals would be curious about the complexity of algorithms that are involved in the design of Aegis - not in public domain.

Arleigh Burke class destroyer [on the whole] is a very complex system, and can see targets in both S-band and X-band frequencies. Perhaps more.

Yes yes, US is so advanced but how did it ICBM mid course interceptor failed compare to China?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/us/politics/missile-launch-test-failed.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/technology/innovation/china-conducts-successful-interception-of-ballistic-missile-in-earths-orbit/news-story/76554886bd4f48b19f24b06237d8f1ae

All these missile interception are carry out high up in the outer space. They are monitor by each rival countries. The test result cannot be manipulate. If you failed,it’s failed. It is a fact, US failed while China succeed. Btw, these is China 8 rds of missile interception, proving its highly maturity.

I think somebody is overhype of US military might.
Do you even understand the sources you cite in support of your argument?

The interceptor that failed in a test in 2018 is SM-3 Block IIA; this interceptor was designed with input from Japan but it has not matured yet. What kind of test this was and whether the interceptor was stressed beyond its capacity - is unclear.

Do you see me bragging about Chinese failures in its experiments? I see no point in this.

Objective of testing is to stress a [prototype] in various operational aspects to see if it works as intended (or not). Statistics of failure in this regard, are asinine.

The only documented case of a successful midcourse intercept of an ICBM-class target is FTG-15 in 2017:

China has not provided similar evidence of achieving a midcourse intercept in any of its test so far. There is also a high degree of censorship for similar experiments in China so I am not sure about their interpretation of success.

Success is a relative term - completely rest upon the "objective" of a test.

---

On a personal note:

China is doing the right thing and its advances in the matters of "missile defense" are duly noted. China understand the significance of such defenses in the future, a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, Pakistan is utterly lacking in this area. Our budget too low.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom