What's new

USAF To Install Boeing’s New Electronic Warfare Systems On More Than 400 F-15s For $4 Billion

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The US Air Force will be replacing the Tactical Electronic Warfare System on more than 400 F-15 Es and F-15Cs with Boeing’s new threat detection system in a $4 billion program.

Boeing has won a US Air Force’s Eagle Passive Active Warning Survivability System (EPAWSS) contract.

“This new electronic warfare suite will counter threats and better protect air crews. The EPAWSS program, which will upgrade existing F-15 aircraft, is valued at approximately $4 billion,” the company said in a statement Thursday.

“As we look at future threats, enhanced electronic warfare is more essential than ever to improve overall survivability,” said Lt. Col. James Parslow, US Air Force F-15 EPAWSS program manager, Fighter/Bombers Directorate, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center. “We look forward to adding this next-generation capability to enhance the air superiority mission of the F-15.”

“Warfighters of today and tomorrow need the latest in jamming, targeting, infrared threat detection and enhanced decoy capabilities,” said Mike Gibbons, vice president, Global Strike Boeing F-15 programs. “EPAWSS will ensure the F-15 is relevant and dominant through 2040 and beyond.”

Boeing has selected BAE Systems as the subcontractor to develop EPAWSS.

USAF To Install Boeing’s New Electronic Warfare Systems On More Than 400 F-15s For $4 Billion

How long will the F15C remain in USAF service

15 to 20 years I would suspect.

That pretty good for a platform which entered service in 1976
I believe IAF will probably fly their MKIs till 2050 at least given the fact that the last squadron will enter active service in 2019

Mig29Ks will remain in service till 2045, when they will be retired along with INS Vikramaditya

Just like Harriers will retire along with Viraat in 2016

A slap on the face of those who always says F 15 and F 16 are old. They can't do this and that air forces need to purchase typhoon and other new shiny toys. For me F15,16,18 are still the best in market except raptor.

A slap on the face of those who always says F 15 and F 16 are old. They can't do this and that air forces need to purchase typhoon and other new shiny toys. For me F15,16,18 are still the best in market except raptor.

Even Mig 21 is an awesome machine. Ask the Israelis.
So what ?

Its a Number Games today, Hi-Lo Mix. to be precise.

For an Airforce having F22s and F35s , they can afford to go with F15s as a cheaper alternative to build the numbers.

On a sharp contrast, Most of the Airforces are retiring F16s , Simply because its days are over. No doubt its the MOST SUCCESSFUL platform in the history of mordern aviation ( Mig 21s are not Multirole ).

F16s cant compete with Typhoons as Typhoons and Rafale , which are next generation machines closer to 5th Gen ( barring the VLO charactersistics ) . Block 60 / 52 is a great platform but its more of "retrofitted" machine with latest avionics and misses the "Sensor Fusion" that 4.5++ machines have. ( Even Su MKI and F15 lack this ).

How long will the F15C remain in USAF service

25 years to be precise. However, starting 20 years or so, you'll start to see replacements coming in for a few squadrons every year.

Even Mig 21 is an awesome machine. Ask the Israelis..

Israelis FRIED Mig-21's like it was a target drones!!! You don't have to ask the Israelis, I can pretty much provide you with reality. Check out the numbers lost in just a few days by Arabs vs. the Israelis. This is probably the largest air war that was almost one way to begin with, in favor of the Israelis.

The ONLY Migs that actually posed kills and threats, were flown by the Pakistani pilots who were sent to Jordan and Syria to provide backups if need be. Sadly, the backups became the top guns of that 5 day war!!! Israel can take on pretty much anything Russian besides the SU-35. For everything else, they have significant numbers of -16's and -15's. And their training and tactics are much superior. If I was to list top three combat ready air-forces, it would be the US, Israel and Pakistan, from a training, tactics and historical perspective. Pakistan obviously lacks the superior technology, but they have always managed to make do and produce excellent results through pilot training and tactics.

25 years to be precise. However, starting 20 years or so, you'll start to see replacements coming in for a few squadrons every year.

Israelis FRIED Mig-21's like it was a target drones!!! You don't have to ask the Israelis, I can pretty much provide you with reality. Check out the numbers lost in just a few days by Arabs vs. the Israelis. This is probably the largest air war that was almost one way to begin with, in favor of the Israelis.

The ONLY Migs that actually posed kills and threats, were flown by the Pakistani pilots who were sent to Jordan and Syria to provide backups if need be. Sadly, the backups became the top guns of that 5 day war!!! Israel can take on pretty much anything Russian besides the SU-35. For everything else, they have significant numbers of -16's and -15's. And their training and tactics are much superior. If I was to list top three combat ready air-forces, it would be the US, Israel and Pakistan, from a training, tactics and historical perspective. Pakistan obviously lacks the superior technology, but they have always managed to make do and produce excellent results through pilot training and tactics.
The Abottabad incident speaks volumes of the operational readiness and professionalism of the Pakistan air force.
Gone are the days of 65. The last time PAF fought a full scale war was in 71 and since then it has gained significant amount of rust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom