What's new

US to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation, says Mattis

It will be good as an incentive to offer Pakistan some 2 or 3 squadrons of used US F-16 upgraded to Viper, and/or some used but in good conditions F-15s, that can be upgraded to F-15SA in KSA.. some used in good condition upgraded Arley Burks will be also welcome..
What is new in this policy is that the US no longer asks Pakistan to expel those networks but it added the possibility (or) of neutralizing them (containing them)..

For all that China is doing vis a vi the CPEC, The US is still the largest importer of Pakistani exports. This is something to keep in mind.

If real cooperation is to be made, a mutually beneficial outcome that reflects the core needs of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and America need to be found.

Part of any cooperation must be helping Pakistan become a strong enough economy that it can fund social development and implement educational and societal reforms. With a large Population of young people, the next 30 years are crucial to world security that a balanced populace is nurtured, rather than one that is forced to be always thinking of short term actions to feed itself.

Pakistan's Needs
Pakistan needs access to (in part ability to buy, part access to aid) affordable weaponry to maintain a decent enough qualitative self-defense capability, allowing it to feel it is not at the doorstep of conflict and can come to a resolution with its neighbors for a long lasting peace.
(5 Squadrans of F-16s (new or refurbished) with AESA radars over the next 10 years, a decent ABM/SAM system to prevent any limited Indian strike from being perceived as existentially threatening, and replacement helicopters and airplanes so that Pakistan can maintain COIN Operations, and maintain control over its territory)

Pakistan needs Economic Progress so that the government can fund all schools and teach a moderate agenda
Pakistan needs a stable economy that will provide jobs to its massive young population so that they can build the nation and thereby maintain security in the region

General Mattis in another one of his speeches saidd that it was not the latest weaponry which he would request when dealing with China, but rather china to have the ability to add 10 million new jobs for its workers so that it maintains chinese stability.

Last edited:
Forget about what the US policies would be for the other countries, the question is what the policy will be for herself!!! Some folks are trying to declare Trump as a Russian agent and make it almost impossible for him to follow his policies. Why is he under such unprecedented attack? Do they fear that Trump will be the American Gorbachev? Do they want to bring about a global conflict, as if present chaos isn't enough, involving the Western vs China-Russia? It's like the crisis in capitalism has no solutions at hand....

137989.jpg
@friendly_troll96 has friendliness written all over atleast online. The benign profile pic, the innocent posts etcetra..

The following questions arise if Pakistan wants to be independent of US influence.
Who will be a reliable military supplier after US is gone (other than Chinese)?
Who will provide the financial aid?
What will be the future implications for Afghanistan if relations between USA and Pakistan deteriorate?

Like all so called aqwal zareen...this statement is also a useless bongi...a dead lion..is always a dead lion..and the hunter is always the victor...A fox can evade and live for hundred years..depriving its hunter the chance to be victor..

I think you didn't correctly got its meaning. I not how much you live, its how you live. You either live as a ruler even for one day or you live as a slave for 100 years. Victor is the one who has freedom.

Who says Afghanistan is Graveyard of Empires.

Only idiots like Hamid Gul believe that rubbish. Any dispassionate study of history will reveal nothing of the sort. The only 'empire' to have ran into trouble in Afghanistan was the Soviets but that was primarily because of massive US support including hi-tech weapons.

Other than that I know no empire which 'died; in Afghanistan. The Babur's army, the Kushans, Alexander's Greeks all pushed through the lofty mountains to what is now Indus. Most of them far from dieing went on to become huge empires like the Moghuls. As we write NATO is in Afghanistan I don't see it turning into 'graveyard'.

Look there are Italians, Czechs and Lithuanians there. What interest do they have in Afghanistan other than to please USA. Even Turkey is there but the one country that is most effected by what goes on in Kabul is missing.

The following questions arise if Pakistan wants to be independent of US influence.
Half of the world is dependant on USA

Who will provide the financial aid?

Who will be a reliable military supplier after US is gone (other than Chinese)?
Increasingly China. Again half the world relies on US aid. India historically has recieved more aid than any country. Israel is number one destination for US aid and weapons.

What will be the future implications for Afghanistan if relations between USA and Pakistan deteriorate?
They will not go below a certain threshold precisely because both sides need each other. They may rant or rave but business is business. What US offers nobody else does and what Pak offers nobody else does. The convergence as previously highlighted by me is areas where both will cooperate and squeeze each other to get maximum benefit.

Last edited:

wow! you guys still believe this crap? The macedonians, the kushans, the mogol/chinese all did just fine traversing through Afghanistan. Before that Afghanistan for centuries served well as the border state for the sub-continent. The Soviets were defeated in Afghanistan but that would have happened anywhere else in the world given the amount technological superiority of the Americans (and severe mis-calculations by the Soviet).

IMO Pakistan should stop designing its policies totally based on Afghanistan, India, China and KSA; instead they should look totally to the needs of Pakistanis.

isnt india giving military bases to US

Negative. India has never granted bases to any other country -- there was limited exception in refueling US warplanes during desert storm I. And even that was a huge political hot potato.

Why are you feeling so insecure when we and our allies cooperate to tackle our common threats? Doesn't this reveal something about your insecurity, Indian?

You're not tackling a common threat. You're mortgaging your sovereignty and self-respect. If my leaders - political or military - fawned over another country (even a friendly country) the way I see Pakistani leaders do - I'd be ashamed. Pakistan's leaders did that once with the US - it was not helpful. Now they are repeating the mistake with China - a far more dodgy 'ally'.

WASHINGTON: US defence secretary-designate James Mattis has said that the Trump administration would offer incentives to Pakistan to cooperate with the United States on critical issues.

At his confirmation hearing at the Senate Armed Forces Committee on Thursday afternoon, Mr Mattis underlined the need to stay engaged with Pakistan while asking it to do more to eradicate terrorism from the region.

5879453eec527.jpg

US defence secretary-designate James Mattis

“If confirmed, I will work with the State Department and the Congress to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation on issues critical to our national interests and the region’s security, with focus on Pakistan’s need to expel or neutralise externally-focused militant groups that operate within its borders,” Mr Mattis told the committee while responding to a question.

Mr Mattis, a general who retired from the US Marine Corps in 2013, has long experience of dealing with both Afghanistan and Pakistan, first as a combat officer and then as commander of the US Central Command.

See: Trump pick for defence secy Gen James Mattis ─ a 'Mad Dog' with a big library

He was known in the armed forces as “Mad Dog Mattis” for his aggressive style but was widely respected as a courageous officer.

The general’s comments on Pakistan indicate that the incoming Trump administration will continue with the existing US policy towards the country.

Mr Mattis complemented Pakistan for its action against terror groups in the country, but said that he would push for more effective targeting of groups that were aimed at neighbouring countries.

As often expressed by the Obama administration officials, the incoming defence secretary also complained that some Afghan Taliban groups were still allegedly using Pakistan’s tribal areas for stirring troubles in Afghanistan.

“Sanctuaries and freedom of movement for the Afghan Taliban and associated militant networks inside Pakistani territory is a key operational issue faced by the Afghan security forces,” he pointed out.

Mr Mattis said that if confirmed, he would “examine efforts to deny sanctuary to the extremist forces” undermining the stability and security of Afghanistan.

He noted that the US and Pakistani militaries had a long relationship, which needed to be rebuilt.

“Our relationship with Pakistan, including our military-to-military relationship, has had highs and lows. We have long faced a lack of trust within the Pakistani military and government about our goals in the region. If confirmed, I will work to build the trust that we need for an effective partnership,” he told the Senate Committee. The United States has conducted military exercises with Pakistan in an effort to increase thrust and interoperability, he added.

Mr Mattis said that Pakistan had “learned some hard lessons” from its dealings with the Taliban, as this caused widespread violence inside the country as well. “I believe they should do more to collaborate with their neighbour. We should urge Pakistan to take further actions against the Taliban and the Haqqani network,” he added.

Arguing that countries in the region “have the responsibility to support the reconciliation process” in Afghanistan, Mr Mattis said that the neighbouring states “should increase pressure on the Afghan Taliban and associated militant networks” to stop their campaigns of violence.

He praised Pakistan’s efforts to battle “internally-focused” militants. “In a sign of its commitment, its military has suffered significant casualties in this counterinsurgency effort,” he said, and offered to help Pakistan in defeating these militants.

Mr Mattis said he would not use phrases such as “rebalance” or “pivot” while talking about its relations with China as these implied that it was turning away from its commitments elsewhere.

“But China’s behaviour has led countries in the region to look for stronger US leadership. “If confirmed, I will examine ways to strengthen our allies and partners, while taking a careful look at our own military capabilities in the region,” he said.

Mr Mattis pledged to continue with the Obama administration’s policy of enhancing a long-term strategic relationship with India, based on the convergence of mutual interests and shared democratic values.

Published in Dawn January 14th, 2017

In a literal sense Gen Mattis is surely a "Mad Dog"

Negative. India has never granted bases to any other country -- there was limited exception in refueling US warplanes during desert storm I. And even that was a huge political hot potato.

You're not tackling a common threat. You're mortgaging your sovereignty and self-respect. If my leaders - political or military - fawned over another country (even a friendly country) the way I see Pakistani leaders do - I'd be ashamed. Pakistan's leaders did that once with the US - it was not helpful. Now they are repeating the mistake with China - a far more dodgy 'ally'.
india has given military bases to US fro refueling rest and rearming and those bases can be use by US if your government allows thats the agreement between india and US and this is what bases are use to do and do you think US will give any thing to india without taking any thing for its self this is not how US you give them bases they will give you something

india has given military bases to US fro refueling rest and rearming and those bases can be use by US if your government allows thats the agreement between india and US and this is what bases are use to do and do you think US will give any thing to india without taking any thing for its self this is not how US you give them bases they will give you something

Last I checked we don't have american warplanes buzzing over our skies. Neither do we have american UAVs shooting random folks on our territory or conducting midnight raids without prior consent. Sadly we don't get those cool tactical operations centres either.

Sarcasm aside, both India and Pakistan have a degree of defense cooperation with the US currently. But india's is much less deeper than Pakistan.

Last I checked we don't have american warplanes buzzing over our skies. Neither do we have american UAVs shooting random folks on our territory or conducting midnight raids without prior consent. Sadly we don't get those cool tactical operations centres either.

Sarcasm aside, both India and Pakistan have a degree of defense cooperation with the US currently. But india's is much less deeper than Pakistan.
hmm i posted the information (first 2 lines) from NDTV now tell me other use of military bases except holding troops uses for rearming refueling (these three task are done when machines(jets,ships etc) are at those bases) drone attacks are done from afghanistan not from pakistan (and this is defferent issue)
and how many other countries sign similar pact afghanistan,iraq and india yeah you are very welcome to this club of yours with war torned countries

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom