What's new

US to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation, says Mattis

The US will never be happy with Pak their policy of do more do more and blame will continue total on Pakistan. If our leaders in the civil and security sectors have any self respect and dignity they will keep away from the US. US is responsible for this never endin war inflicted in the region. Yet the US have have made it clear they want a more close relationship with India.

Exactly, no amount of "incentives" will make up for our economic losses which now stand at $118 billion.

Source: ‘War on terror’ has cost Pakistan $118bn: SBP (Dawn, Nov 2016)

The Americans are somehow still under the perception that all is dandy. It is not. The world has changed drastically and alliances have been forged. Of course we want to cooperate where common ground can be found, but just not at our sole expense anymore. The Americans have demonstrated by their policies and statements that they have other interests and priorities. That is good for America and we don't mind. It is just that the Americans cannot expect Pakistan to follow their dictation anymore because we too have our own priorities and interests. Time has come for the US to tow one line. Not pick and choose to their liking. It doesn't work like that.

The US should by all means continue to work with India. Pakistan will work with China and other allies. Pakistan is very happy and much better off since it has reduced its reliance and cooperation with the US. We want to keep it that way.

All countries are becoming assertive. The days where you could bully and kill at will are over.

Last edited:
This category of news . . . ( you know what I mean @Max and @nightRider ). I came here looking for it. But couldn't find it since morning.

Finally here it was.

Last edited:
well i dont think Pakistanis will be fooled again.... moreover we have better friends today than before

One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again yet expect a different result. Anyway, the word incentive basically means bribery in this case. The Americans have always needed Pakistan more than Pakistan has needed them. This was true in the Cold War and t is true today. We, however, had another option even during he Cold War ie Soviet Union. We have more options today than we did back then. Pakistani planners must understand that even though at some level we have to deal with the USA we should always keep in mind that China must incrementally become included more and more in our strategic calculus. Our destiny rests in Asia not in the Americas. India is desperate to switch roles with Pakistan as the premiere US whipping boy. They almost pleaded with the USA to use Indian bases after 9-11. The Americans told them to take a hike and the Russians were left astounded. Let the Indians do the flunky's job instead. They want it desperately. And if F-16's is how the Americans intend on doing it then fitay moo I say. Have we forgotten the soya beans?

WASHINGTON: US defence secretary-designate James Mattis has said that the Trump administration would offer incentives to Pakistan to cooperate with the United States on critical issues.

At his confirmation hearing at the Senate Armed Forces Committee on Thursday afternoon, Mr Mattis underlined the need to stay engaged with Pakistan while asking it to do more to eradicate terrorism from the region.

5879453eec527.jpg

US defence secretary-designate James Mattis

“If confirmed, I will work with the State Department and the Congress to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation on issues critical to our national interests and the region’s security, with focus on Pakistan’s need to expel or neutralise externally-focused militant groups that operate within its borders,” Mr Mattis told the committee while responding to a question.

Mr Mattis, a general who retired from the US Marine Corps in 2013, has long experience of dealing with both Afghanistan and Pakistan, first as a combat officer and then as commander of the US Central Command.

See: Trump pick for defence secy Gen James Mattis ─ a 'Mad Dog' with a big library

He was known in the armed forces as “Mad Dog Mattis” for his aggressive style but was widely respected as a courageous officer.

The general’s comments on Pakistan indicate that the incoming Trump administration will continue with the existing US policy towards the country.

Mr Mattis complemented Pakistan for its action against terror groups in the country, but said that he would push for more effective targeting of groups that were aimed at neighbouring countries.

As often expressed by the Obama administration officials, the incoming defence secretary also complained that some Afghan Taliban groups were still allegedly using Pakistan’s tribal areas for stirring troubles in Afghanistan.

“Sanctuaries and freedom of movement for the Afghan Taliban and associated militant networks inside Pakistani territory is a key operational issue faced by the Afghan security forces,” he pointed out.

Mr Mattis said that if confirmed, he would “examine efforts to deny sanctuary to the extremist forces” undermining the stability and security of Afghanistan.

He noted that the US and Pakistani militaries had a long relationship, which needed to be rebuilt.

“Our relationship with Pakistan, including our military-to-military relationship, has had highs and lows. We have long faced a lack of trust within the Pakistani military and government about our goals in the region. If confirmed, I will work to build the trust that we need for an effective partnership,” he told the Senate Committee. The United States has conducted military exercises with Pakistan in an effort to increase thrust and interoperability, he added.

Mr Mattis said that Pakistan had “learned some hard lessons” from its dealings with the Taliban, as this caused widespread violence inside the country as well. “I believe they should do more to collaborate with their neighbour. We should urge Pakistan to take further actions against the Taliban and the Haqqani network,” he added.

Arguing that countries in the region “have the responsibility to support the reconciliation process” in Afghanistan, Mr Mattis said that the neighbouring states “should increase pressure on the Afghan Taliban and associated militant networks” to stop their campaigns of violence.

He praised Pakistan’s efforts to battle “internally-focused” militants. “In a sign of its commitment, its military has suffered significant casualties in this counterinsurgency effort,” he said, and offered to help Pakistan in defeating these militants.

Mr Mattis said he would not use phrases such as “rebalance” or “pivot” while talking about its relations with China as these implied that it was turning away from its commitments elsewhere.

“But China’s behaviour has led countries in the region to look for stronger US leadership. “If confirmed, I will examine ways to strengthen our allies and partners, while taking a careful look at our own military capabilities in the region,” he said.

Mr Mattis pledged to continue with the Obama administration’s policy of enhancing a long-term strategic relationship with India, based on the convergence of mutual interests and shared democratic values.

Published in Dawn January 14th, 2017
I would like to know the opinion/opinions of following members regarding this news item:

@Horus @DESERT FIGHTER @nightRider @Max @Kaptaan @Akheilos

@gambit @Sliver

Have we forgotten the soya beans?
What's with Soya Beans?

you are right but realistically speaking PAF has no good option other then F-16. it is the only air craft that is reliable , potent and affordable . JF 17 is good but doesn't match the F-16. russian and chinese jets are good on paper. they demand high maintenance and have low availability ( su 30 mki has availability around 55 %) and high crash rates. russian air craft carrier lost 2 migs in just one month of operations. european jets like rafale and eurofighter are simply way to expensive for countries like pakistan. we should just forget fifth gen jets at the moment atleast for next five yrs. so currently F-16 is not an option it is a majbori.
dont need your advice. people like you make us scared. we are Pakistan with out US we will be Pakistan forever. look they putted ban on our missile tech. they put ban on our nuk tch.. they will do what ever it is possible to hurt us.. jf17 what ever it has ability. i dont mind atlest it is our own. we will improve it day after day. so dont suck the ball of US.

LOL! You don't know the soya bean story? Probably one of the most embarrassing and humiliating chapters in Pakistan-US relations.
I tried to Google but I couldn't find anything. So you tell me please or post links.

I tried to Google but I couldn't find anything. So you tell me please or post links.

It pains my fingers to type it. It also makes me want to spit blood. LOL! I will increase your suspense. I will give you a clue. Pakistan ended up with several hundred millions of dollars worth of soya beans. But that is not what we were supposed to be buying. Come on man, google is your friend. Google it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom