What's new

US to build Kuwait's new defence ministry HQ worth $1bn

February 24, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Kuwait's new defence ministry headquarters is to be designed and constructed by the US Army Corps of Engineers and other US-based contractors following the approval of a proposal by the Biden administration, worth an estimated $1 billion.

According to a press release by the Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), "The State Department made a determination approving the potential foreign military sale to the government of Kuwait of design and construction of the Kuwait ministry of defence headquarters complex and related equipment for an estimated cost of one billion dollars.'' Congress was also notified on Tuesday with lawmakers given 30 days to raise an objection.

"The Government of Kuwait has requested the design, construction, and associated procurement. This includes provisions for all physical building and infrastructure construction costs," the statement added.

The project will include over 20 facilities, including the main headquarters for both civilian and military leadership. The DSCA also stated that the proposal will "support the foreign policy and national security objectives" of the US by helping to improve the infrastructure of a Major Non-NATO ally (MNNA).

The Army Corps of Engineers have previously worked in construction projects for Kuwait, including the state's reconstruction following the end of the Gulf War in 1991.

According to a report by Al-Monitor the development will also be part of Washington's attempts to curb growing Chinese influence in the Gulf, with Kuwait being the first country to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Beijing over its ambitious Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).

Kuwait was designated an MNNA in 2004. Last month the Biden administration announced that fellow Gulf state Qatar will become an MMNA citing its key role in the evacuation efforts from Afghanistan last summer and its financial aid to Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20220224-us-to-build-kuwaits-new-defence-ministry-hq-worth-1bn/
Did Zardari's construction company bid for this project?
$1B for Kuwait for MOD infrastructure is egregious.
So look under the hood. It only makes sense if it takes on a Joint COM infrastructure. I would argue that this building will be a Joint Command infrastructure that houses a significant capability of the US. Only then does such an expenditure make sense.

Did Zardari's construction company bid for this project?
$1B for Kuwait for MOD infrastructure is egregious.
So look under the hood. It only makes sense if it takes on a Joint COM infrastructure. I would argue that this building will be a Joint Command infrastructure that houses a significant capability of the US. Only then does such an expenditure make sense.
No need for the US.. did you know GCC has its own combined forces?
Or are you still living in the 50s and 60s..

No need for the US.. did you know GCC has its own combined forces?
Or are you still living in the 50s and 60s..
Hope you are not one of those who have a habit of becoming nasty with a hair trigger.

All I am saying is that Kuwait is not a big militarily capably country. That having a Pentagon like infrastructure for its Mil HQ makes little sense unless that infrastructure has a larger purpose which is a Joint COM. I think the US realizes that they will eventually need to realign their soldiers and it makes complete sense to build the infrastructure in Kuwait . This way they have a citadel like presence there, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE. This also helps them in their realignment around the Saudis where the relationship is becoming a bit chilled.

Which GCC joint command are you talking about? The one that was in conflict with another GCC country Qatar or the one that includes Egypt and run by a Pakistani General (making it hardly a GCC only outfit). So perhaps I am still living in the 50s and 60s, but pretty sure both these efforts came well after that time period.

Hope you are not one of those who have a habit of becoming nasty with a hair trigger.

All I am saying is that Kuwait is not a big militarily capably country. That having a Pentagon like infrastructure for its Mil HQ makes little sense unless that infrastructure has a larger purpose which is a Joint COM. I think the US realizes that they will eventually need to realign their soldiers and it makes complete sense to build the infrastructure in Kuwait . This way they have a citadel like presence there, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE. This also helps them in their realignment around the Saudis where the relationship is becoming a bit chilled.

Which GCC joint command are you talking about? The one that was in conflict with another GCC country Qatar or the one that includes Egypt and run by a Pakistani General (making it hardly a GCC only outfit). So perhaps I am still living in the 50s and 60s, but pretty sure both these efforts came well after that time period.
what I'm saying is that Kuwait is an integral part of the GCC Joint Defence Council also called the Peninsula Shield Force .. it is not on its own..

Hope you're not hurt easily..HaHaHa1

what I'm saying is that Kuwait is an integral part of the GCC Joint Defence Council also called the Peninsula Shield Force .. it is not on its own..

Hope you're not hurt easily..HaHaHa1
I am not easily bothered. I just dont like wasting time with people who get too emotional and too quick upon disagreements. Which is why I have continued to invest my time in explaining in greater detail my argument, hoping to get a facts based argument which is the purpose of a forum for discussion.

Also the PSF to my understanding was a major Saudi initiative primarily meant to rally folks around the Yemen conflict. It has Egypt and some involvement by PK. So I don't consider that GCC. There is a GCC defence pact that itself was hurt in the Qatar/Saudi tiff. Again I feel Kuwait especially has a deeper and special relationship with the US which is primary, above all of these other regional / GCC alignments.

I am not easily bothered. I just dont like wasting time with people who get too emotional and too quick upon disagreements. Which is why I have continued to invest my time in explaining in greater detail my argument, hoping to get a facts based argument which is the purpose of a forum for discussion.

Also the PSF to my understanding was a major Saudi initiative primarily meant to rally folks around the Yemen conflict. It has Egypt and some involvement by PK. So I don't consider that GCC. There is a GCC defence pact that itself was hurt in the Qatar/Saudi tiff. Again I feel Kuwait especially has a deeper and special relationship with the US which is primary, above all of these other regional / GCC alignments.
Thought you were rational.. not going with your feelings..HaHaHa!
You need to update yourself on Arab affairs before commenting.. because even during the crisis with Qatar it was still in the pininsula shield and present in all the meetings, exercises and events..This is a GCC initiative not a Saudi one..You are confusing things .. as the Arab coalition for Yemen is a totally different initiative..

Kuwait belongs to Iraq

USA made a mistake, they should've let us. One day we'll invade again. The Arabs can't reprogram American hardware/software, it's not possible.

Even Iran, the Tahroonis who cry about America all day are using off the black market American networking gear for their internet backbone operations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom