What's new

‘The Witcher’ Might Get Better in Season 2

Reaction score
Country
India
‘The Witcher’ Might Get Better in Season 2

In the last few months, fantasy fans have flocked to the The Witcher. Based on the book series by Andrzej Sapkowski, the new Netflix show is often described as the next Game of Thrones, but science fiction author Anthony Ha warns that comparisons between the two shows might be misleading.

“A lot of times that’s the bet that marketers are making when they take something and they say it’s like this other thing that you like,” Ha says in Episode 399 of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “It may not be entirely true, but the hope is that you’ll like it enough—or you’ll have tuned in or bought the ticket at that point. So it’s fine if we don’t have a completely accurate comparison, but it’s close enough that people aren’t totally furious.”

The Witcher, which follows the adventures of a monster-hunter named Geralt of Rivia, is much more episodic than Game of Thrones, and features a much goofier sense of humor. TV writer Andrea Kail was disappointed by the show’s early episodes. “I prefer more serialized shows,” she says. “It felt like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys or Xena: Warrior Princess, which I feel like, personally, I have moved past.”

Another issue with the show is a convoluted plot structure that obscures the relationship between its three main characters. Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy host David Barr Kirtley wishes the story had been easier to follow. “It seemed like these events were happening contemporaneously, and I found it extraordinarily annoying—several episodes into the show—when it turns out that they’re not,” he says.

https://www.wired.com/2020/02/geeks-guide-the-witcher/

Any one here played the games? I didn't but I've been recently thinking of trying Witcher 3, expecting it to be like Skyrim to an extent.

Absolutely adore witcher 3. I was a bit sceptical at first when my friends mentioned it but after playing it and realizing the depth of the game you understand why it was the game of the year.

There are certainly parallels that can be drawn with Skyrim, but the witcher series has more fleshed out characters and a lot smoother fighting system.

I enjoyed the show. Bought the first two games during a steam sale years ago, but never had time to play them, I'm thinking of playing them now, because of the show.

Any one here played the games? I didn't but I've been recently thinking of trying Witcher 3, expecting it to be like Skyrim to an extent.
Think of it more like skyrim with fallout new vegas like moral dilemmas and mass effect level characters

Back
Top Bottom