What's new

The truth about ‘Dawn leaks’

Tomcats

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
IT was, much like many manufactured crises in the country’s history, a case of overweening ambition and untrammeled power. According to part three of an interview that former army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa reportedly gave journalist Shahid Maitla, the furore over a Dawn story published in October 2016 was deliberately played up by his predecessor, Gen Raheel Sharif, in an effort to wrangle an extension from then prime minister Nawaz Sharif.

The ploy did not work, and Gen Sharif retired in November. But it set in motion events that undermined the government, as such schemes are designed to do; unjustly maligned this newspaper, which was simply doing its duty to inform the public accurately and objectively; and put a journalist’s life in peril.

The article in question, published only after the information was verified from multiple sources, was an account of what had transpired at meetings between the PML-N government and the military high command. In an unusually blunt warning, the civilian leadership told the top brass to act against militant outfits or risk the country being isolated internationally.

Instead of discarding the myopic strategy regarding militants, the episode was used to cut ‘down to size’ a civilian leadership that was telling the establishment to change tack, and to humiliate a prime minister refusing to acquiesce to the chief’s desire for an extension.

Buckling under intense pressure from the powers that be, the Prime Minister Office issued denials of the report’s contents and placed the writer, Cyril Almeida, on the ECL. ‘Dawn leaks’, as it came to be known, was also harnessed to attack this paper’s integrity through a vicious social media campaign that accused it of being ‘anti-state’ and peddling ‘fake news’.

But life has a way of coming full circle. Subsequent events, including the placing of Pakistan in 2018 on the FATF’s grey list for allegedly not doing enough to curb terror financing and money laundering, and the crackdown on banned extremist groups that finally began after that, are testament to the veracity of the Dawn story and the paper’s stance on militancy in general.

Since Imran Khan’s ouster, more inconvenient truths have come spilling out as the establishment’s edifice of invincibility (where its political machinations are concerned) develops cracks one could not have foreseen even a year ago. The campaign against Dawn was a clear act of malice and the suspension of its distribution in various cantonments a brazen attempt to damage it financially.

Gen Bajwa shares the blame for this as hearings were conducted by a government-appointed inquiry committee during his tenure, despite him knowing the facts behind the saga, and Dawn was pressured — unsuccessfully — to reveal its sources for the story. One may ask why the committee’s report has not been made public. Perhaps there are more unsavoury facts within its pages.

Published in Dawn, March 31st, 2023

Bajwa has reportedly 'denied' giving such interview. Dawn would obviously seize any opportunity to clear their name , even though they are 'anti-state' to the core. Even the editorial appears to be prepared by Maryam's team. The actual interview is also of low quality, planted questions...

Would be interesting if either the COAS or ISPR comes forward and straight up refutes the interview or not.

Afsos hi hota hai, to see this army become a laughing stock.
It was a long time coming, sir. No one is to blame but themselves.
I've stopped feeling sorry for them after the torture on Zille Shah and the others. It doesn't matter if it's was civilian LEA doing that or boots.

it is just confusing - who to believe ? politicians journalists even common people on social media have started lying too much

I've stopped feeling sorry for them after the torture on Zille Shah and the others. It doesn't matter if it's was civilian LEA doing that or boots.

I don't feel sorry for the generals or the ones who are indeed meddling in politics.

But feel sorry for those who actually serve this country, who went into the army to serve the country, for the soldiers who actually fight, for those who actually do that job with a passion, and for those who did it because of some belief, or a cause, or a motive apart from politics.

I feel sorry for the institution of the army, not the establishment.

Mere khandan main khud itnay log hain jo fauj main thay, and they also feel nothing but sadness at the current state of it. Same is the case with many serving folks I know.

I don't feel sorry for the generals or the ones who are indeed meddling in politics.

But feel sorry for those who actually serve this country, who went into the army to serve the country, for the soldiers who actually fight, for those who actually do that job with a passion, and for those who did it because of some belief, or a cause, or a motive apart from politics.

I feel sorry for the institution of the army, not the establishment.

Mere khandan main khud itnay log hain jo fauj main thay, and they also feel nothing but sadness at the current state of it. Same is the case with many serving folks I know.
I am just disappointed because apparently there aren't enough checks in the institution.
I want to believe 90% or the young officers and enlisted men are strongly against what's going on. But, we have yet to see any effects of that. I am not saying there should be a mutiny but there isn't much else either.

Last edited:
Since day one this entire establishment is helping PMLN from top to bottom. Thats clearly evident from the Bajwa's so called interviews. My question is, why all these interviews are ONE-SIDED? Nawaz Sharif ko aap nay nikala, MAryam kay saath asa wesa aap nay kya bla blaa why not they ask Regime Change may koon koon tha? kisnay BAP aur MQM ko aakri waqt may kaha udhar jao? kisnay arm-twisting ki IK ki? kya ISI chief lagana PM ka progogative nahi hey? IK kahta hey aap nay cases rukwaye ismay kitne sadakat hey? kyoon Shahbaz aur uskay betay pe 1 saal case ko latkaya gaya? kistarhan aap interference kar rahay thay? aap nay bhaet kar kyo kaha kay America hamaray pizzay kay business chalata hey conference may jab IK kay aap kay paas is kisam kay chutyaapay ka ikteyar he nahe? why not these so-called journlist(s) ask these questions?

Back
Top Bottom