The Snipers: Target and training analysis and solution

Slav Defence

THINK TANK VICE CHAIRMAN: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Snipers: Target and training analysis

Written By: Slav Defence

‘Sniper’ is a very dense term of great importance. They are if trained by army and work for pro-military organization, and then they will become an asset. But if same people are trained by opponent organization with cause of spreading anarchy and destruction, then become a threat and problem.
That is why; counter strategies were always applied to reduce the effect of those snipers who were hired and trained by terrorist’s organizations.
Before we move ahead to discuss the various aspects of sniper and their importance we will divide our report in following sections:

-History
-Training and courses
-Psychological effect of sniper on opposing forces
-Solution:Counter strategies to reduce effect
-Updating of courses for Pakistan army

History:

The term ‘to snipe’ was first introduce in 1770’s in British India, but officially attested in 1824 in context of ‘Sharp shooter’
Before the invention of rifles, firearms were used. The disadvantage was of their inaccuracy in terms of long range shooting.
To overcome this, Barrel rifling was invented, yet still it was only applicable for large cannons.

The Evolution of Sniping:

The evolution occurred in United States of America first, the first sniping was recorded in the battle of Saratoga, also known as battle of Freeman’s farm, where colonists hid behind the bushes and used early rifles for snipe shooting of British officers.
The most prominent early sniper recorded was Timothy Murphy, who shot Simon Fraser and killed him.

Training and Courses:

Snipers are trained to deal with their target in such a manner that their position is hindered by an object. The greater distance, the batter thus they are first trained to camouflage and concealment in such a manner that they cannot be located and thus this gives a great psychological pressure to target and protectors near the target.
Further, they are trained to understand the map reading, stalking, observation and stalking.
The better observation, the better grip. Most prominently,
Their observation effects on their accuracy, especially to deal with mobile objects. The snipers are always target and hunt their opponents in pair, and the reason behind is to reduce the chances of loss of target and survival of target from shooter.
These are additional aspects of sniper shooter.

Psychological effect of sniper:

As I have stated earlier, that snipers are an asset of military organization as well as when same marksman works for different opponent organization with negative objectives,it becomes a jinx.
When sniper shoots his target, the first psychological effect develops is his fear of shot again and pressure when he is not located, although, the trained security officials immediately try to locate the direction and angle of shot, yet still this gives enough time to camouflaged sniper to change his location from one point to another and target.
That is why distance between target and sniper has great importance as it not only produces an ease to change location easily without being detected, but also effects angle and accuracy.
The greater distance, the better chances to change position but accuracy is affected.
The lesser distance, the lesser chances to be in vulnerable position but increased rate of accuracy.

Solution:Counter strategies to reduce effect:

r048sl.jpg

To deal with snipers, military has adopted various techniques some of which are discussed as follows:
-Use of canine dogs
-Hiding of ranks
-Use of blurry screens
-Installments of mines etc.

i)Use of canine Dogs:

As dogs have sharp senses of hearing and smell, therefore they are placed to locate the direction of bullet shot, as are capable by nature to detect the direction faster than humans.

ii)Hiding of Ranks:

It is a modern technique adopted my military men. Now according to this modern approach, junior rank officers do not salute to their senior, this helps a lot as sniper didn’t get awareness of his target mainly.

Use of Blurry screens:

Another modern technique to confuse a sniper, a place where high officials attend conference, the blurry material is placed to confuse a sniper, so that he cannot see the clear image of his objective, thus it effects the observative skills of sniper.
Installments of mines:
Now a place, where it is suspected that snipers may use it as base to position themselves, traps are placed, mines etc.

Pakistan Army and snipers:

In Pakistan army, only SSG sector is recorded to have prominent batch of snipers, as I have mentioned in my previous post and as Irfan Baloch has analyzed earlier of budget for Pakistani army, therefore I will say that it is not enough to produce more snipers and for better results.
We need better equipment and updated arms and ammunition for target accuracy for long term distances more prominently, however we can work on updating and enhancing traing skills of sniper.

Objectives:
• Rifle Sight-in & Data Book Use
• Understanding Basic Ballistics
• Advanced Marksmanship Drills
• Position of Shooting
• Scouting, Range Est. & Sketches
• Live-fire: Moving Targets

Rifle Sight-In and Data book Use:

It is a book which is used by a sniper or marksman to record of his accuracy, performance and observation to set a record of his quality and performance to analyze and improve.
The book consists of ten rounds plotted to enhance the above mentioned skills over all.

shooting_07_01.jpg

Understanding Basic Ballistics

Now again, the key objective of understanding basic ballistic is where bullet goes when fired?
Thus it is systematic approach for a shooter to understand and enhance his quality of shooting, thus following points were kept in mind while analysis of performance and factors which effect the bullet’s speed, velocity etc

chart.jpg

-Line of sight
-Line of bore
-True Drop
-Path
The above chart as described by B.E. Spencer clearly shows following factors on a chart.

Position of Shooting:

This is one of the most important factor, what position of object is and how shooter must adjust himself so that he can settle better, accurate and successful target, and easily plot his target.

Scouts, Ranges and Sketching:

Basic training, objective is to enhance skills of military shooter such as concealment, camouflage, enhance of observation, identity of target by sketching etc.

Live fire: Moving Targets and multiple mobile targets:

The most challenging objective of a sniper shooter is to shoot a mobile target; if multiple then it becomes more difficult challenge.
In order to deal with this, shooters are given enhanced training of shooting mobile objective by enhancing their accuracy, positioning, target practice and other basic skills.

Best Regards,
Slav Defence

The Pakistan Defence Forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Last Hope @nuclearpak @Icarus @Xeric @Irfan Baloch @WebMaster @Awesome @balixd @Secur @RescueRanger @Luftwaffe @Aeronaut @Major Sam @Jazzbot and others...enjoy, I hope that you will Inshallah find it an interesting read..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I don't mean any offence, but yaar hath thora halka rakho. Military planners are well aware of this, you don't need to produce a report on every matter! Such reports work on only some topics.

Good effort though, needless to say.

Honestly I don't mean any offence, but yaar hath thora halka rakho. Military planners are well aware of this, you don't need to produce a report on every matter! Such reports work on only some topics.

Good effort though, needless to say.

Oh,I am so sorry,I thought that you all will enjoy reading this,well sorry,I will be careful next time.:undecided:

Oh,I am so sorry,I thought that you all will enjoy reading this,well sorry,I will be careful next time.:undecided:

you never listen to honest feedback.. if I had said same you would think I am jealous or just being a moron...
honestly stop writing 'regards slav defence'.. its cringeworthy... everytime I see I feel more suicidal ...:disagree:

you never listen to honest feedback.. if I had said same you would think I am jealous or just being a moron...
honestly stop writing 'regards slav defence'.. its cringeworthy... everytime I see I feel more suicidal ...:disagree:

No I do...:undecided: I do understand why Last Hope forbid me and told me to be careful,but what is so harmful in writing best regards,even fauji historian do write peace!
It looks cool to me...:undecided:
you?jealous?la haul la wala qoowat...:hitwall:you consider me like that,very bad,well why would be jealous of me? :sad:

No I do...:undecided: I do understand why Last Hope forbid me and told me to be careful,but what is so harmful in writing best regards,even fauji historian do write peace!

well everytime fakehistorian writes peace.. it looks like he is taking a pis* .. on us..

jealous?la haul la wala qoowat...:hitwall:

You start with 'Written by: Slav Defence' and end with 'Best Regards, Slav Defence'. Naming the author twice doesn't look professional. :)
You have very well attempts, but your best work was the DI. Khan breakout. Such subjects need to be focused upon, because they are the weakness and gaps which haven't been successfully filled. There is security lapse and many things are being tried, unsuccessfully, and an ultimate solution is required - which can probably rise from this forum.

You start with 'Written by: Slav Defence' and end with 'Best Regards, Slav Defence'. Naming the author twice doesn't look professional. :)
You have very well attempts, but your best work was the DI. Khan breakout. Such subjects need to be focused upon, because they are the weakness and gaps which haven't been successfully filled. There is security lapse and many things are being tried, unsuccessfully, and an ultimate solution is required - which can probably rise from this forum.

Oh thank you sir,I have also worked on democratic infrastructure which was response to @Aeronaut,I would have worked on more reports,but I can't find a suitable news to research on,khuda na khwasta,if DI Khan case ever happened in future,then Inshallah I will be the first to analyse and suggest solution,you can mention me in any news upon which you want me to work on.
Second,I write written by slav defence,to clarify the readers that it is my piece of work,second I write best regards in the end and my ID to explain my relationship with PDF.

Yet still if you and @hinduguy dislike,then I will stop writing slav defence in the end.But I can write best regards,can I?
@Last Hope,even if you look at the report,I have suggested latest techniques applied by US and European army to counter response snipers of opponent organization,yet still if you feel not good,then Inshallah I will never post on such topic as I understand your kind intentions very well,and I agree.

@Slav Defence .. am sure you have best regards for all .. why unnecessarily write it.. we can see its written by you... :cry:
if you are worried it will be copied by some newspaper/other forums.. then its different issue.

@Slav Defence .. am sure you have best regards for all .. why unnecessarily write it.. we can see its written by you... :cry:
if you are worried it will be copied by some newspaper/other forums.. then its different issue.

Yes,this is natural feeling,anyone who works hard,would definitely like that report to be identified by him/her,what is the big deal,besides,all think tanks mention their name while introducing their marvelous piece of work.:blink:

I forgot to mention one thing,this post is a response to @Aeronaut's statement and friday incident,that day,when he was describing the importance of snipers,that is why I decided to make such post,my objective is that snipers are an asset of any military organization and Pakistan army must train more snipers and they should be updated in our police as well.

Good efforts bro, keep it up. i think there many other factors such as air density, muzzle velocity which are very crucial for snippers :D

The Snipers: Target and training analysis

Written By: Slav Defence

‘Sniper’ is a very dense term of great importance. They are if trained by army and work for pro-military organization, and then they will become an asset. But if same people are trained by opponent organization with cause of spreading anarchy and destruction, then become a threat and problem.
That is why; counter strategies were always applied to reduce the effect of those snipers who were hired and trained by terrorist’s organizations.
Before we move ahead to discuss the various aspects of sniper and their importance we will divide our report in following sections:

-History
-Training and courses
-Psychological effect of sniper on opposing forces
-Solution:Counter strategies to reduce effect
-Updating of courses for Pakistan army

History:

The term ‘to snipe’ was first introduce in 1770’s in British India, but officially attested in 1824 in context of ‘Sharp shooter’
Before the invention of rifles, firearms were used. The disadvantage was of their inaccuracy in terms of long range shooting.
To overcome this, Barrel rifling was invented, yet still it was only applicable for large cannons.

The Evolution of Sniping:

The evolution occurred in United States of America first, the first sniping was recorded in the battle of Saratoga, also known as battle of Freeman’s farm, where colonists hid behind the bushes and used early rifles for snipe shooting of British officers.
The most prominent early sniper recorded was Timothy Murphy, who shot Simon Fraser and killed him.

Training and Courses:

Snipers are trained to deal with their target in such a manner that their position is hindered by an object. The greater distance, the batter thus they are first trained to camouflage and concealment in such a manner that they cannot be located and thus this gives a great psychological pressure to target and protectors near the target.
Further, they are trained to understand the map reading, stalking, observation and stalking.
The better observation, the better grip. Most prominently,
Their observation effects on their accuracy, especially to deal with mobile objects. The snipers are always target and hunt their opponents in pair, and the reason behind is to reduce the chances of loss of target and survival of target from shooter.
These are additional aspects of sniper shooter.

Psychological effect of sniper:

As I have stated earlier, that snipers are an asset of military organization as well as when same marksman works for different opponent organization with negative objectives,it becomes a jinx.
When sniper shoots his target, the first psychological effect develops is his fear of shot again and pressure when he is not located, although, the trained security officials immediately try to locate the direction and angle of shot, yet still this gives enough time to camouflaged sniper to change his location from one point to another and target.
That is why distance between target and sniper has great importance as it not only produces an ease to change location easily without being detected, but also effects angle and accuracy.
The greater distance, the better chances to change position but accuracy is affected.
The lesser distance, the lesser chances to be in vulnerable position but increased rate of accuracy.

Solution:Counter strategies to reduce effect:

r048sl.jpg

To deal with snipers, military has adopted various techniques some of which are discussed as follows:
-Use of canine dogs
-Hiding of ranks
-Use of blurry screens
-Installments of mines etc.

i)Use of canine Dogs:

As dogs have sharp senses of hearing and smell, therefore they are placed to locate the direction of bullet shot, as are capable by nature to detect the direction faster than humans.

ii)Hiding of Ranks:

It is a modern technique adopted my military men. Now according to this modern approach, junior rank officers do not salute to their senior, this helps a lot as sniper didn’t get awareness of his target mainly.

Use of Blurry screens:

Another modern technique to confuse a sniper, a place where high officials attend conference, the blurry material is placed to confuse a sniper, so that he cannot see the clear image of his objective, thus it effects the observative skills of sniper.
Installments of mines:
Now a place, where it is suspected that snipers may use it as base to position themselves, traps are placed, mines etc.

Pakistan Army and snipers:

In Pakistan army, only SSG sector is recorded to have prominent batch of snipers, as I have mentioned in my previous post and as Irfan Baloch has analyzed earlier of budget for Pakistani army, therefore I will say that it is not enough to produce more snipers and for better results.
We need better equipment and updated arms and ammunition for target accuracy for long term distances more prominently, however we can work on updating and enhancing traing skills of sniper.

Objectives:
• Rifle Sight-in & Data Book Use
• Understanding Basic Ballistics
• Advanced Marksmanship Drills
• Position of Shooting
• Scouting, Range Est. & Sketches
• Live-fire: Moving Targets

Rifle Sight-In and Data book Use:

It is a book which is used by a sniper or marksman to record of his accuracy, performance and observation to set a record of his quality and performance to analyze and improve.
The book consists of ten rounds plotted to enhance the above mentioned skills over all.

shooting_07_01.jpg

Understanding Basic Ballistics

Now again, the key objective of understanding basic ballistic is where bullet goes when fired?
Thus it is systematic approach for a shooter to understand and enhance his quality of shooting, thus following points were kept in mind while analysis of performance and factors which effect the bullet’s speed, velocity etc

chart.jpg

-Line of sight
-Line of bore
-True Drop
-Path
The above chart as described by B.E. Spencer clearly shows following factors on a chart.

Position of Shooting:

This is one of the most important factor, what position of object is and how shooter must adjust himself so that he can settle better, accurate and successful target, and easily plot his target.

Scouts, Ranges and Sketching:

Basic training, objective is to enhance skills of military shooter such as concealment, camouflage, enhance of observation, identity of target by sketching etc.

Live fire: Moving Targets and multiple mobile targets:

The most challenging objective of a sniper shooter is to shoot a mobile target; if multiple then it becomes more difficult challenge.
In order to deal with this, shooters are given enhanced training of shooting mobile objective by enhancing their accuracy, positioning, target practice and other basic skills.

Best Regards,
Slav Defence

The Pakistan Defence Forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Last Hope @nuclearpak @Icarus @Xeric @Irfan Baloch @WebMaster @Awesome @balixd @Secur @RescueRanger @Luftwaffe @Aeronaut @Major Sam @Jazzbot and others...enjoy, I hope that you will Inshallah find it an interesting read..:)

you left out the pdf resident expert in the mentions( yours truly)!
for simulated training, this program is awesome.:
ShooterReady

My FFL/dealer guy was planning to hold a long range class with this software included.
I think he was ex SF in the Army. Precision shooting is no joke.

Back
Top Bottom